What's new

The Good Wife Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The show returned as strong as ever. Nathan Lane's court-appointed trustee add yet another terrific supporting character to the show's already superb rotating roster, matching loyalty and an honest work ethic with the tactics of Sun Tzu. Kalinda's husband Nick is absolutely terrifying, a ferocious monster with iron-clad control over his impulses. Anyone mythical enough to send Kalinda fleeing once has to be her equal, and matched an actor and material in a way that absolutely does that. The balance between the menace and the sex appeal between them was absolutely spot on.
EDIT: Season 4. Whoops.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, a terrific season opener. I really enjoyed Zach's homemade solution to his problem (though I can't help but feel we haven't heard the last from this and it may come back to bite the Florricks later). Nick is a hair-trigger temper kind of psychopath and will keep things interesting for Kalinda (though I REALLY admired her moxie in not backing down from either despite the bruising she took in doing it).

Loved Nathan Lane's character and his handling of the petulant David Lee. I wonder if Kristin Chenoweth hadn't had that accident, would she have figured more strongly into the episode?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Nathan Lane is incredibly well cast in his role. I loved most scenes he was in, but the one with David Lee, where he broke down the 'oh, that's great, so at 5 cents on the dollar..' Great stuff.

Zach's little stew may cost Peter down the road.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode contains a sexual act by Kalinda's husband that was initially vetoed by CBS's standards & practices and went all the way up to the network top brass. It's certainly more explicit than anything sexual CBS has broadcast previously.
As a reminder: due to the afternoon NFL double-header, the start time has been pushed back to 9:30. For those recording to a DVR, I'd still pad the end time by an hour or so to be safe.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Tonight's episode contains a sexual act by Kalinda's husband that was initially vetoed by CBS's standards & practices and went all the way up to the network top brass. It's certainly more explicit than anything sexual CBS has broadcast previously.
As a reminder: due to the afternoon NFL double-header, the start time has been pushed back to 9:30. For those recording to a DVR, I'd still pad the end time by an hour or so to be safe.
Since I lost a few things earlier this season, I pad all Sunday night programming by at least an hour.
Love this show. Even though it may not be the ratings jackpot they want, hope CBS keeps it around just for the "classiness" factor. It's extremely well done and deserves to keep going. I just think the American public is so dumbed down by special effects, green-screen, laugh tracks, etc. that they don't recognize truly good well written, well acted drama.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, let me say something.. Microsoft made changes to Media Center.. where it now updates it's schedule in real time, and so ... I have not missed a single minute this year ;) It auto-adjusted tonight by 33 minutes. I can't beat that!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A great episode tonight: funny and chilling and an enthralling case that looked hopeless for a long time.
And I just love the different quirky judges they come up with from time to time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely about the case. The stuff with Maura Tierney's character was just... weird. Not sure where that's headed, and I somehow doubt that she's only interested in Alicia's friendship. Not sure what Mr. Hayden's angle is with regard to Alicia, either.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I agree completely about the case. The stuff with Maura Tierney's character was just... weird. Not sure where that's headed, and I somehow doubt that she's only interested in Alicia's friendship. Not sure what Mr. Hayden's angle is with regard to Alicia, either.
My first reaction to Maura Tierney's character also, just "weird". Not sure what they've got planned for her character. Probably some major interaction with Peter's campaign, but so far just a teaser, not sure what she's up to.
Also seems like Alicia has the golden touch. As long as she likes you and mentions your name, you're not downsized as the firm shrinks.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Stan /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4#post_3985786
My first reaction to Maura Tierney's character also, just "weird". Not sure what they've got planned for her character. Probably some major interaction with Peter's campaign, but so far just a teaser, not sure what she's up to.
Also seems like Alicia has the golden touch. As long as she likes you and mentions your name, you're not downsized as the firm shrinks.

I think part of the inference is that the executor views being in Peter Florrick's good graces as a seriously important asset.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As an ER fan, it was weirdly cool to see both Marguilies and Tierney on this show, and they basically anchored ER on the female side in their respective runs on that show.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
As an ER fan, it was weirdly cool to see both Marguilies and Tierney on this show, and they basically anchored ER on the female side in their respective runs on that show.
Along with Noah Wylie, they were my favorite characters on the show. So many others just came and went, but they were almost always there, just a nice bit of stability and well written, well acted characters you could always count on. Watch "Grey's Anatomy" sometimes, but it's just laughable compared to "ER". Way overacted and completely implausible stories, pales in comparison to "ER". Hope one of the cable networks picks up "ER" and starts reruns.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4#post_3985559
Well, let me say something.. Microsoft made changes to Media Center.. where it now updates it's schedule in real time, and so ... I have not missed a single minute this year ;) It auto-adjusted tonight by 33 minutes. I can't beat that!

Ah. That explains it. I was wondering how I was picking up some things. Was there some type of announcement, or is it just something you happened to notice?

I wasn't a big fan of the finger / finger / slurp scene. Nothing wrong with the scene per se, but I didn't think it fit with The Good Wife. We know Kalinda has her kinky dangerous aspects, but I'm not saying it's didn't fit with the Kalinda character. I'm saying it didn't fit with the established environment of The Good Wife.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Any bets on when Kalinda's husband dies, probably with her responsible.
He just doesn't fit in with the classy style of the show and I don't see how they can get rid of him except killing him off, probably in some "accident" or "mysterious mugging". Don't see him leaving voluntarily.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wouldn't it be funny if Kalinda manipulates him into some kind of situation where he's arrested and has to be represented by the firm (probably Alicia) and Kalina doing investigative work botches her work so he'll go to prison? They could get rid of him that way and yet still leave him a potential threat for later in the season or in later seasons.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great episode tonight with so many reverses I was almost dizzy from the sheer speed with which they occurred.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
Great episode tonight with so many reverses I was almost dizzy from the sheer speed with which they occurred.
I agree 100 percent.
mattCR said:
Yeah, though Nathan Lane has to feel burned because in the end, they got zippo I suppose.
I wouldn't be surprised if that comes up in future episodes; "You asked me to go all in and we got burned. Not this time" sort of a thing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to say Nathan Lane, who can be a great clown when he turns it on, has really rocked this character doing some of the best dramatic acting of his career. He's done dramas on Broadway that didn't require him to be outrageous, but he's fit so amazingly into this ensemble this season that it's a pleasure to watch him work.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I have to say Nathan Lane, who can be a great clown when he turns it on, has really rocked this character doing some of the best dramatic acting of his career. He's done dramas on Broadway that didn't require him to be outrageous, but he's fit so amazingly into this ensemble this season that it's a pleasure to watch him work.
Nathan Lane has been great in this role. He usually plays such outrageous characters, it's nice to see him in a more dramatic, serious role.
Loved the last few seconds of the episode. Hopeless romantic that I am, I've always thought Peter and Alicia would get back together, this may be the start of it.
Kalinda's husband is a creep. Hope they get rid of him soon. Weird relationship between them, they beat the hell out of each other, yet still get along, at least in public. Liked Kalinda letting him know her girlfriend was a federal agent. Maybe the girlfriend will be the one to get rid of the husband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks