Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,205 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew markworthy 

Oh, that's just great. I'd looked forward to watching this film (one of my faves) this weekend whilst the rest of the family was going to see Taylor Swift (sorry Swift fans - I can see she's good and all that, but not for me). Now I find the restoration is a dud. At the risk of sounding totally grovelling, I utterly respect your opinion Mr Harris, so if you say it's bad it's bad. Bother, bother, bother (actually, 'bother' is not the word I mean, but knowing the delicate sensibilities of some users of this forum, I've toned down my language).

Silver Lining: Now you can go see Taylor Swift!!!

Why you gotta be so...mean?

Posted Image

And THAT's the ONLY Taylor Swift reference I could ever come up with.  I heard this song once and actually thought the lyrics were quite good. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#22 of 25 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 05:36 AM

Silver Lining: Now you can go see Taylor Swift!!!

Alas, not. All tickets sold. Boo hoo. ;)

#23 of 25 JParker

JParker

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 09:54 AM

Alas, not. All tickets sold. Boo hoo. ;)

Well, since Taylor recently "covered" Maxwell in her recent "Top 40" hit, I've got the next best thing for you! Enjoy! ;) This one isn't as good:

#24 of 25 John Weller

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 08:39 AM

How was Criterion's release of Le Viseteurs De Soir?

#25 of 25 moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 10:03 AM

How was Criterion's release of Le Viseteurs De Soir?

If you mean the quality of the Blu Ray, then when all is considered, it is an excellent transfer.

As far as the film is concerned it might be a little heavy for some. To be able to make such a film during this Nazi-occupied time is beyond incredible.

It should be noted that a lot of French films were rushed into secret storage somewhere to avoid certain destruction by the Nazis. Paris. itself, was wired towards the end for a massive destruction but the given order was not acted upon by the person given that order. Another miracle of WW2. 

I was able to see a lot of French film during the mid-1970s because I used to go a local film institute who kept a library for hiring to schools and groups. I often collected or delivered film cans to railheads for screenings by these groups. The French Embassy in my country's capital and the Goethe Institute(German features, sorts & some TV) in my city made films available to the library for periods of six months for free loans to bona fide groups. Thus I could borrow these 16mm prints for a weekend on a regular basis. I saw many films from all decades otherwise not available elsewhere. There was no ethnic TV in that period but it was on the way and been so for over 30 years now.  

There are still films I have seen in that period that have not made it to DVD or Blu Ray yet as far as I know like The Crime of M. Lange(was on VHS & LD which I missed but saw the 16mm and on TV later once); The Baker's Wife, and, Pardis Perdu(a 30s sort of nightclub musical from about 1938).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow