Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The War of the Roses -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,299 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 09:22 AM

Danny DeVito's 1989 The War of the Roses is a film that just works for me.  I love what he's done with it.  Beginning with Saul Bass main titles.

Fox has released the film as part of their new Filmmakers Signature Series, and along with Wall Street, the series is off to a great start.  Waiting for a copy of Hoffa to arrive, which also part of the series -- also Mr. DeVito, and you've got to see the transitions in that film.

War of the Roses is beautifully rendered, with superb color, densities and shadow detail. Grain appears natural.  Audio is DTS-HD Master.

Wonderful film.  Fox is picking great product to start their series.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

A beautiful Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 8 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:16 AM

This is one of my all time favorites. I've had both this and Hoffa in the big LD box sets then the DVD ports of those. I actually at one point took the time to make a long edit of the film using the script pages on the CAV portion of the disc and the 30 or so minutes of deleted scenes, and the 150 minute version I made on VHS played great too. I got my copies from Family Video of all places online for $15 each if anyone is looking for a deal. I've been so swamped this week that they've been sitting on the shelf waiting for some time free to really spend with these two properly. I couldn't agree more about the transitions in Hoffa, they very much inspired things I did in my own first feature, but without Mr. Devito's budget, but I should save that for the Hoffa thread.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#3 of 8 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 805 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:19 AM

This is one of my favorites! :) I'll have to put it on right after I go [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]"piss on the fish."[/SPOILER]

#4 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,299 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:26 AM

I've wondered it somehow, the folks at Fox were able to get the latest search for Mr. Hoffa in works to sync with the release of their Blu-ray.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 8 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:28 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...arch/index.html
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 8 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,246 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 28 2012 - 10:31 AM

It would be a shame if Fox passed up the opportunity for a tie-in.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#7 of 8 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,432 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 11:48 AM

I love this movie and will be picking up the bluray. I still own the LD box set.

all-banner.jpg

#8 of 8 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,440 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 28 2012 - 02:43 PM

I own the LD set autographed by Mr. Devito.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users