-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Calibration Recommendation for Samsung UN55ES7100?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,100 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 28 2012 - 04:10 AM

I just purchased this set along with an Oppo 93 yesterday. TV from Amason, Oppo from Oppo directly. Both are enroute. I'm not prepared to spend the money on a professional calibration (I know the wife isn't, had to do some persuasion just to get the TV) and would like a recommendation on a calibration disc. This is quite a stepup for me, from a 46" Sammy and an average Sony blu-ray player. I've seen a recommendation for the Disney WOW disc and after reading the Amazon reviews, it looks like it might be the one for me. Any thoughts?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 20 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted September 28 2012 - 04:16 AM

Greetings Nice disc. The Spears and Munsil one is nice too as is the Digital Video Essentials HD basics one. All will help you set up the basic user controls. The verbal stuff for the contrast part in the WOW disc may not be clear. Then again there is always the free AVSHD disc that you can download ... burn and use. Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 20 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 28 2012 - 04:39 AM

That's a nice-looking TV, Johnny. I also have the Oppo 93, and love it.

#4 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,100 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 07:25 AM

That's a nice-looking TV, Johnny. I also have the Oppo 93, and love it.

I have been reading about the 93 (and lusting for it) on this forum for what seems like years. Now that I'm getting, it's being replaced. How ironic. I could have waited for the replacement, but decided I wanted the 93 since it can definitely be made region-free. I've mentioned elsewhere, but I'll repeat here that as of yesterday, Oppo has a "very few" refurbished 93's(what I bought) 93's on hand. If you want one, call Oppo soon. They don't show the refurbished models as being available on the web site. They go for $415 plus $18 shipping.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,100 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 07:27 AM

Greetings Nice disc. The Spears and Munsil one is nice too as is the Digital Video Essentials HD basics one. All will help you set up the basic user controls. The verbal stuff for the contrast part in the WOW disc may not be clear. Then again there is always the free AVSHD disc that you can download ... burn and use. Regards

thanks for the suggestions which I will look into. Is that AVSHD need to be burned onto a blu-ray? I can't do that.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#6 of 20 GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted September 28 2012 - 08:07 AM

thanks for the suggestions which I will look into. Is that AVSHD need to be burned onto a blu-ray? I can't do that.

It can be burned to a DVD, using a file format that can be read by many BD players.

#7 of 20 myrthin

myrthin

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 03:51 AM

I used the free one. It worked well. You'll have to calibrate yourself due to differences in sets room and lighting conditions, but a few general things I've noticed. I'd turn off most of the various enhancements. No dynamic contrast. No dark enhancement. Clear or no movement correction. No flesh tone enhancement. I think you should calibrate in all three modes (movie, standard, and dynamic) as well as 3D (which completely changes the settings). In my tests, with 2D content, contrast can be turned all the way up on this set (I detected no color change with this). Sharpness should be zero. Backlight should be relatively low (depending on conditions). Gamma enhancement can be helpful, depending.

#8 of 20 ladyg11

ladyg11

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 09:04 AM

Re: the suggestions posted here - Outside of of pro calibration how do I get rid of this live video instead of film look Im getting with movies. I have a Sammy 55in 3d set also.
 Samsung 55" LED 3D Dispplay
Yamaha RX-V863 receiver
Scientific Atlanta HD DVR
Toshiba HD DVD A35; Sony BDP-S350
SCS-01s mains - SBS-01s surrounds - SVS PB10-NSD Subwoofer

#9 of 20 Joshua Quain

Joshua Quain

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi Ladyg11, the first step is turning off the super high refresh rate that the display has out of the box. This is one of the first things I typically do (besides calibration of course). I hope this helps.

#10 of 20 ladyg11

ladyg11

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 04:24 PM

I dont see that option on the menu. Maybe it comes under a different heading ?
Yamaha RX-V863 receiver

#11 of 20 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:51 PM

hi Gail take a photo of the adv menu page and email it to me. Ill tell you the setting. (there are actually several that should be on the off position).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#12 of 20 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 07 2013 - 12:16 AM

Re: the suggestions posted here - Outside of of pro calibration how do I get rid of this live video instead of film look Im getting with movies. I have a Sammy 55in 3d set also.

I've said for years......... the best way to get the film look on a new tv, is to get a DLP set. To me (my personal opinion), you can't get rid of the video look on a plasma, LCD, or LED. People are willing to fore-go the better picture, for the "cool factor", of being able to hang the tv on the wall. Good luck.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#13 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,100 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 05:10 AM

This is what I did and it worked for me. Menu-->>Picture-->>Picture Options-->>Auto Motion Plus--Set it to Clear While you're there set LED motion Plus to Off. I can't remember if I had to do this or not, but I have it Off. I think this will help.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#14 of 20 ladyg11

ladyg11

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 05:24 AM

hi Gail take a photo of the adv menu page and email it to me. Ill tell you the setting. (there are actually several that should be on the off position).

Here ya go. Let me know if the pictures don't post.
Yamaha RX-V863 receiver

#15 of 20 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 07 2013 - 06:35 AM

Gail Go to Movie Mode. Contrast at 85. Back light at the mid point (or up to 3/4 range) Black level (brightness at 45). Color at 50 Sharp at 10 Color Space should be auto Motion lighting off Please also post the Picture option screens (the above is a good start to getting you close)

#16 of 20 ladyg11

ladyg11

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 10:35 AM

Picture options: Picture: What about tint?
Yamaha RX-V863 receiver

#17 of 20 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 07 2013 - 11:37 AM

hi Leave tint centered. turn auto motion plus off (and not standard) turn LED Motion Plus off too. Also under the screen adjustment - select perfect pixel or native or whatever, NOT 16x9.

#18 of 20 ladyg11

ladyg11

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:18 AM

hi Leave tint centered. turn auto motion plus off (and not standard) turn LED Motion Plus off too. Also under the screen adjustment - select perfect pixel or native or whatever, NOT 16x9.

Screen adj choices were: Screen fit Wide fir 4:3 Zoom 1or 2 16:9 I chose screen fit? And yes things look better - not great but better. I guess leave the rest up to you (did u get my message to schedule)
Yamaha RX-V863 receiver

#19 of 20 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 08 2013 - 05:45 AM

screen fit would be good. This will put the display in 1 to 1 pixel mode for the most crisp image. yes on the message! thanks. I have you on my "get to list". Figure May - June.

#20 of 20 nodixe

nodixe

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 08:24 AM

Its the auto motion plus (AMP) that interpolates the frames and gives the material a soap opera feel so make sure its off. The LED motion plus just turns the scanning backlight on/off. I think this is for black frame insertion to reduce motion blur and shouldn't affect anything except light output as the black frame makes it dimmer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users