Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#261 of 304 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 05:54 AM

Man:  Yes.

Thanks, Sam. Will need to give that a try then (and finally upgrade my iPad3 to iOS6).

BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2).

Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote...

_Man_

Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)

Edited by ManW_TheUncool, July 26 2013 - 06:05 AM.

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#262 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 26 2013 - 06:40 AM

First off, I doubt it. Secondly, lighten up, Francis.

I don't know what to make of Apple's response, which is basically, "if you don't want to die, participate in our wallet rape". Well actually, I guess it's pretty obvious what my takeaway is.

On the first half:  haha ok, put a smilie next time.

On the second half you can buy any number of reasonably priced cables that work just fine and aren't made by fly by night chinese outfits who have reverse engineered the product wrongly.  There's a reason that the "Made for iPod" and similar promotions are effective, they let you know that the they meet a certain minimum quality standard.  If you value a few bucks more than your safety you...  well you don't deserve to die but you do deserve a bad experience.  Let's be clear here:  IT IS NOT APPLE'S PRODUCT THAT KILLED HER.  It was an unauthorized 3rd party product that Apple has ZERO control over.  Good luck for them even trying to sue them out of existence, 4 others will simply take their place.

Thanks, Sam. Will need to give that a try then (and finally upgrade my iPad3 to iOS6).   BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2).   Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote...   _Man_ Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)  

Quite welcome and no, I do not have any issue seeing any of Dave's posts.

A review you might be interested in:

http://www.maclife.c..._20_ipad_review

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#263 of 304 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 07:05 AM

BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2).   Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote...   _Man_ Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)  

Dave's stuff routinely does not show up in mobile Chrome nor Tapatalk. I always think he clicked on the Post button by mistake.

Everything of Sam's comes through loud and clear.

#264 of 304 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 07:28 AM

Maybe it's an Android rendering thing then?  It also happened w/ my above quoted post made via the HTF mobile app until I edited it on the full site.

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#265 of 304 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 07:35 AM

A review you might be interested in:

http://www.maclife.c..._20_ipad_review

Thanks.  Sounds like it was only just released in the last few days.  Mighta been nice to have it for my trip upto Newport, RI.

Guess it's finally time for me to update the iPad3 to iOS6... after I get my PC's 2ndary harddrive (w/ my iTunes library) "fixed" -- it apparently has a ton of bad sectors(?) that finally impacted my system enough to require a chkdsk that's been running for almost 2 days and counting(!).

_Man_

#266 of 304 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 26 2013 - 07:11 PM

First off, I doubt it. Secondly, lighten up, Francis.

I don't know what to make of Apple's response, which is basically, "if you don't want to die, participate in our wallet rape". Well actually, I guess it's pretty obvious what my takeaway is.

I think the message is: Apple is not to blame if you die while licking an electrical outlet, even if holding an iPhone.

Less snark, more serious: if a manufacturer builds a charger that connects ground to a hot signal, energizing the external antenna of the iPhone 4S, Apple can't help you. And you should blame the criminally negligent accessory maker.

#267 of 304 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 26 2013 - 07:14 PM

Dave's stuff routinely does not show up in mobile Chrome nor Tapatalk. I always think he clicked on the Post button by mistake.

Everything of Sam's comes through loud and clear.

Android auto-blocks Apple fanboy chaff ;)

There is no "quote" feature in the mobile website on iOS, so I often quote things with simple copy and paste, from my ipad. But aside from a few mangled posts, I don't have trouble seeing quoted material from anyone.

#268 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:34 PM

Outrage, why won't Apple let me use my cheap death machine!?!?!

http://mobile.thever...hone-with-ios-7

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#269 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 06:41 AM

The whiners got their wish, Apple will replace shitty, deadly, 3rd party chargers with real Apple stock.

http://www.apple.com...apter-takeback/

Will Samsung and Google do the same?

#270 of 304 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,017 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 06 2013 - 06:50 AM

I would guess if more people die through using 3rd party chargers that Apple stock would take a beating, doesn't matter if it's not their fault, just reports like this will be seen as negative and it isn't good for Apple.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#271 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 11:26 AM

...:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

#272 of 304 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,017 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 06 2013 - 12:10 PM

That sites unfair, in the case of Lee Halpin the guy was trying to raise awareness of homelessness which is a problem worldwide.

http://tyneandwear.s...finish-his-film

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#273 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 05:43 AM

Interesting new twist to the Maps story:

http://www.buzzfeed....acks-your-every

#274 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 09:31 PM

Holy $&@( this is exactly what I wanted added to maps, more $&&()ing ads! THANKS Google!

http://adwords.blogs...cal-ads-on.html

#275 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 12:37 PM

Chippin:

http://www.cultofmac..._source=twitter

#276 of 304 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 07:44 AM

Good take on the Apple cable issue:

http://www.minyanvil...yahoo&refresh=1

Has anyone ever been electrocuted by a standard micro-usb cable?  Don't think so.

#277 of 304 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 07:58 AM

Yes, I suspect Apple was secretly chuffed about the two Chinese citizens who were electrocuted by their 3rd party chargers -- they weren't directly responsible, but it got the word out that if you didn't fork over an exorbitant amount of money for official chargers, YOU COULD DIE!

Sam will be offended that I am casting Apple as a gleeful villain here, but at Apple, the bottom line is the bottom line. 

#278 of 304 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, there's no technical justification whatsoever for Apple not to use a standard micro-usb cable.  It's purely a matter of "let's see what we can get the suckers to pay for".

#279 of 304 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,614 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 09:32 AM

You're dead (not heh) wrong on that.  If it were only the dual sided nature of the cable and the ability to charge things with higher loads alone it would be enough to merit the switch to lightning, but it's even more than that.  You can find hints to those reasons by the leaks from WWDC but there is much more to come from this connector, we are only at stage 1 of a cable that Apple has engineered to last the next ten years.  I don't expect to change your opinion of course, you have already made up your minds on this, but it's there if you wanna go looking.

#280 of 304 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sam, Apple is holding those who simply want to charge their phones hostage with this overpriced accessory. There is zero reason to charge as much as they do. Rather, there is clearly only ONE reason they charge as much as they do and it's quite obviously NOT in the best interests of the consumer.

What they charge consumers for a basic function like recharging their phone is completely indefensible and can only be described as pure greed. Only a complete zombie would argue otherwise.

Edited by Hanson, September 25 2013 - 09:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users