Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: Francis Ford Coppola 5-Film Collection (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:08 AM

From "one of the greatest films of all time" (Chicago Sun Times) Apocalypse Now to the "raw and riveting" (Rolling Stone) Tetro, the set includes some of the iconic filmmaker's best works, sharing a combined total of 12 Academy Award® nominations and two wins.

In addition to Apocalypse Now and Tetro, the collection also includes the classic film's updated and extended version, Apocalypse Now Redux, along with the thriller The Conversation and One From The Heart, available for the very first time in stunning high definition.

With unforgettable performances from a list of top Hollywood talent including Marlon Brando (Apocalypse Now), Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now), Robert Duvall (Apocalypse Now), Vincent Gallo (Tetro), Harrison Ford (Apocalypse NowThe Conversation), Gene Hackman (The Conversation), Frederic Forrest (The ConversationOne From The Heart), Raul Julia (One From The Heart), Cindy Williams (The Conversation), John Cazale (The Conversation), Nastassja Kinski (One From The Heart) and Teri Garr (One From The Heart), the Francis Ford Coppola 5-Film Collection celebrates the very best in cinema.

Just in time for the holidays, and perfect for film fans, the Francis Ford Coppola 5-Film Collectionfeatures hours of bonus material and will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.99.

The Collection includes:

APOCALYPSE NOW

In the Vietnam War epic, Martin Sheen stars as Army Captain Willard, a troubled man sent on a dangerous top-secret mission into Cambodia to assassinate a rogue Green Beret, Colonel Kurtz (Brando), who has barricaded himself in a remote outpost. As Willard ventures deeper and deeper into the wilderness of the jungle, he embarks on a strange journey that leads him to Kurtz - but also forces him to come face to face with the terrifying vision of the heart of darkness in us all.

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX

This is the definitive version of Francis Ford Coppola's stunning vision of the heart of darkness in all of us, re-edited and re-mastered with 49 minutes of additional footage.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Audio commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola
  • ONE FROM THE HEART

Legendary director Francis Ford Coppola shines his spotlight on a Las Vegas couple (Teri Garr, Frederic Forrest) whose break-up on the 4th of July leads them both to a night on the strip in pursuit of their romantic fantasies (Raul Julia, Nastassja Kinski). But in this town of gamblers and dreamers, should they bet it all on dreams, or give true love another roll of the dice? Featuring breathtaking design, show-stopping set pieces, the stunning cinematography of Vittorio Storaro (Apocalypse Now,The Last Emperor) and accompanied by the wonderful Oscar® nominated music of the one and only Tom Waits, this neon explosion of color, sound and innovation is a cinematic valentine for all movie lovers.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Feature-length audio commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola
  • The Dream Studio documentary
  • The Electronic Cinema documentary
  • Tom Waits and the Music of One From The Heart documentary
  • The Making Of One From The Heart (1982) documentary
  • Previously Unreleased Demo Recordings and Alternate Takes of Tom Waits' Music
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Videotaped Rehearsals
  • The Tom Waits Score: Alternate Tracks
  • Press Conference at the Studio
  • Francis Coppola Speaks to the Exhibitors
  • This One's From the Heart Music Video
  • Stop Motion Demo
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • TETRO

Starring Vincent Gallo (Buffalo '66) and set in Argentina, Tetro tells the bittersweet story of two brothers, of family lost and found and the conflicts and secrets within a highly creative Italian immigrant family.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Audio commentary with Francis Ford Coppola and actor Alden Ehrenreich
  • "The Rehearsal Process" featurette - documenting Coppola's extensive preparation with the cast
  • "Fausta: A Drama in Verse" - extended version of the play featured within the movie
  • "Mihai Malaimare, Jr: The Cinematography" featurette
  • "The Ballet" featurette - a look at the film's choreography and the use of dance in the film
  • "Osvaldo Golijov: Music Born from the Film" featurette
  • "La Colifata: Siempre Fui Loco" featurette - a behind the scenes look at the filming of Tetro at La Borda mental hospital
  • THE CONVERSATION

In an underground world of conspiracy, surveillance and mystery, the film follows expert wire-tapper and spy Harry Caul (Hackman) during a routine investigation. With a haunting past tormenting his every move, Caul makes it a golden rule to stay far outside of each project. However, his latest job turns out to be more than Caul bargained for when he's caught inside a web of murder and secrecy that threatens his safety - and his sanity.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Interview with director Francis Ford Coppola and composer David Shire
    • "Harry Caul's San Francisco: Then and Now" featurette
    • Archival screen tests with Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams
    • Archival audio of Francis Ford Coppola dictating (writing) the original script
    • Archival on-set interview with Gene Hackman
    • "Close up on The Conversation" featurette
    • Discussion with Francis Ford Coppola about his early film exercise, "No Cigar"
    • Audio commentary with director Francis Ford Coppola
    • Audio commentary with editor Walter Murch

PROGRAM INFORMATION

Years of Production: 1974-2009

Apocalypse Now: 1979

Apocalypse Now Redux: 2000

One From The Heart: 1982

Tetro: 2009

The Conversation: 1974

Collection Copyright:© 2012 Zoetrope Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Type: Blu-ray Disc Special Edition

Rating:     Apocalypse Now: R

Apocalypse Now Redux: R for disturbing images, language, sexual content and some drug                 use

One From The Heart: R

Tetro: R for language, some sexuality and nudity

The Conversation: PG

Genre:Compilation; Crime; Drama; Thriller

Blu-ray Closed Captioned: English SDH

Subtitles: Apocalypse NowApocalypse Now Redux, English, Spanish and French

TetroThe ConversationOne From the Heart: English and Spanish

Blu-ray Format:

Apocalypse NowApocalypse Now ReduxTetro: 1080P High Definition 16x9 Widescreen                 (2.35:1)

One From The Heart: 1080P High Definition 4x3 Full Screen (1.33:1)

The Conversation: 1080P High Definition 16x9 Widescreen (1.78:1)

Collection Running Time: 695 minutes

Apocalypse Now: 153 minutes

Apocalypse Now Redux: 202 minutes

One From The Heart: 100 minutes

Tetro: 127 minutes

The Conversation: 113 minutes

Blu-ray Audio Status: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,026 posts
    • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:46 AM

If it goes on sale I'll bite. I own the apocalypse now set already but wouldn't mind upgrading The Conversation and One From The Heart to blu.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,589 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 07:54 AM

Since I don't have Apocalypse Now, this looks like a pretty good deal. I'm not sure about Tetro or One From The Heart so for me right now it is a tough choice to give up the extras on AN for $20 for The Conversation and two movies I don't know for an extra $8.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,226 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 08:58 AM

Visually and sonically TETRO and ONE FROM THE HEART will be ravishing in Blu. As for the content, well, mileage will vary. But the price is indeed right.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
    • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 27 2012 - 09:57 AM

It's indeed a good price, but I just hate multi film sets - they're agony for OCD people and shelving. I only have The Conversation, but would get One From The Heart as a single in a heartbeat. Apocalypse, I might upgrade solely to have it in the proper ratio at last, but when I get that I have to get the set that has Hearts of Darkness, not this. Really what I'd like to see is Tucker done in 2.35 at last. I just looked at the DVD again and it's almost comical on a widescreen TV, it's very clear that 2.0 was not in mind as the ratio when they were filming. The best is how they have to pan and scan the end credits...
    Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   KMR

KMR

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 11:30 AM

Visually and sonically TETRO and ONE FROM THE HEART will be ravishing in Blu.

TETRO is just a stunning motion picture in terms of cinematography. (Storywise it's pretty good, too. Thematically and stylistically it is somewhat similar to RUMBLE FISH. But better, IMHO...) I can't remember much about ONE FROM THE HEART, since I haven't seen it after the initial release. For me, THE CONVERSATION is a ho-hum selection, but for the more-than-reasonable price of this set I can consider it a "free extra".

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,594 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 11:36 AM

Tetro is playing on EpixHD On Demand until Jan 31st 2013 incase someone hasn't seen it yet.

all-banner.jpg

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
    • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 27 2012 - 11:53 AM

TETRO is just a stunning motion picture in terms of cinematography. (Storywise it's pretty good, too. Thematically and stylistically it is somewhat similar to RUMBLE FISH. But better, IMHO...) I can't remember much about ONE FROM THE HEART, since I haven't seen it after the initial release. For me, THE CONVERSATION is a ho-hum selection, but for the more-than-reasonable price of this set I can consider it a "free extra".

One From The Heart is beautiful, and delightfully stylized and artificial, but in a good way. Coppola uses a lot of stage techniques like scrims and everything is a set. It's a more extreme version of what he did on Tucker later.
    Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,026 posts
    • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:48 AM

Didn't realize before, but this is currently $27 on Amazon. A no brainer purchases for 5 bluray films. I'd happily pay that just for One From The Heart and The Conversation. Which is what I'm doing since I have the better Apocalypse Now set already ha ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users