Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How I Met Your Mother - season 8 thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 of 121 Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted March 04 2013 - 02:59 AM

I thought it was already established that we're not going to meet the mother until the last episode of next season?

I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I expect their wedding will be the last episode, but expect to see episodes of their meeting and dating.

#62 of 121 Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted March 04 2013 - 03:16 AM

Oh, well that's good news then. I'm glad I'm wrong.
Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

#63 of 121 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,173 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:11 AM

I hope we meet her this season. We need a season to develop the relationship with Ted, and show that she really is the One (and not just another girlfriend) to be emotionally satisfying.

#64 of 121 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:57 AM

Okay, just catching up on this week's episode.  If I remember correctly, it was said previously the next woman Ted meets and becomes involved with would end up as his wife and the mother of the kids.  So, the way Ted gets this woman is by pretending to be gay and in a relationship with Marshall.  Why would she end up marrying him if he lied to her from the get go?  And are we in for an entire episode revolving around her lecturing Ted about how terrible of a thing he did, followed by a break up of some kind and then reconciliation...maybe at Barney and Robin's wedding?

Just some random thoughts...

#65 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:02 AM

Okay, just catching up on this week's episode.  If I remember correctly, it was said previously the next woman Ted meets and becomes involved with would end up as his wife and the mother of the kids.  So, the way Ted gets this woman is by pretending to be gay and in a relationship with Marshall.  Why would she end up marrying him if he lied to her from the get go?  And are we in for an entire episode revolving around her lecturing Ted about how terrible of a thing he did, followed by a break up of some kind and then reconciliation...maybe at Barney and Robin's wedding?

I don't think Future Ted was including random hook-ups and one night stands when he was talking about the next woman he becomes involved with. My understanding is that the next woman he has an actual relationship is the Mother, who he meets at Barney and Robin's wedding. Which takes place in the season finale. Which all points toward us either meeting the Mother in the season finale, or having the season end with Ted about to meet the Mother, giving them all summer to cast the most important role on the show since the pilot.

#66 of 121 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:09 AM

Ah...okay.  I figured the woman he hooked up with in Barney's closet and then who came to get him from bar wasn't just a random hook up but someone in it for the long haul, presumably.

#67 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 25 2013 - 07:46 PM

On one hand, this episode felt like the very definition of a filler episode, since basically nothing in it actually happened. On the other hand, the final minutes of this episode rank among my favorite endings of any episode in the season. It really finally feels like we're really getting to the end game, and Josh Radnor acted the crap out of his imagined heartfelt speech to the Mother.

And now we know, 45 days of story time left until we meet the Mother. There are 49 days until the season finale airs. It's looking more likely than ever that we'll meet the Mother in the finale.

#68 of 121 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 09:24 PM

I thought it was a great episode.  The "filler" quality was, in many ways, a theme for the episode (along with time and regret, obviously), where everything in Ted's life was literally filler until he met the mother.  Sure, there were cherished memories along the way (as evidenced in the final sequence), but it's all still filler--not just for us, but for Ted, too.  The last act was nicely melancholic.

Based on the imagined speech, I wonder if the mother dies before the story to the kids begins, and was indeed the impetus for the whole thing.  Something about the whole really wanting those 45 days back leans toward that idea.

Anyway, there's an emotional maturity that this show brings, and it's always welcome.

#69 of 121 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,173 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 05:06 PM

That was a strange and interesting episode. It was what I hope for from a HIMYM, and calls back to the inventiveness of the first season. Also: dance off. But I'm not sure what to make of the ending. It was so sober, it suggests Ted's story is a tragedy, with the Mother dying soon after the kids are born. Why else would someone be so mournful of not having an extra 45 days of dating their would-be spouse?

#70 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 27 2013 - 05:42 PM

It was so sober, it suggests Ted's story is a tragedy, with the Mother dying soon after the kids are born. Why else would someone be so mournful of not having an extra 45 days of dating their would-be spouse?

I didn't read that scene the way you and Josh did at all. I saw it as a guy who loves his wife so much that he'd always want an extra 45 days with her. It's not so much that he was mourning not having them as much as it was that she's the one for him, and he wouldn't want his past self to wait a single minute longer to meet her. Ted's been treading water for a while, and meeting her is when his life gets started again.

• Cameron Yee likes this

#71 of 121 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,173 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:33 PM

I thought about that, but the entire plot twist, the music, narrative was melancholy.

If the intent was purely romantic, they didn't get the production and direction quite right.

And if you disagree, there's only one way to settle it...
<dancing banana goes here>

Edited by DaveF, March 27 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#72 of 121 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:38 PM

I didn't read that scene the way you and Josh did at all. I saw it as a guy who loves his wife so much that he'd always want an extra 45 days with her. It's not so much that he was mourning not having them as much as it was that she's the one for him, and he wouldn't want his past self to wait a single minute longer to meet her. Ted's been treading water for a while, and meeting her is when his life gets started again.

I read it that same way.  I don't think the music or direction was right for the entire sequence-too...down for what it happening.  If Ted knows he loves this woman, he wants to spend all the time possible with her, regardless of whether it's the 45 seconds it took to talk to her or the extra 45 days.

Wouldn't it be a terrible thing to do to go through this entire series and then meet the mother only to have her die fairly quickly afterwards?  I don't think anyone associated with this show wants to have that kind of ending.

#73 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 27 2013 - 07:45 PM

I thought about that, but the entire plot twist, the music, narrative was melancholy.

If the intent was purely romantic, they didn't get the production and direction quite right.

There was unquestionably a melancholy quality to the sequence, but I think that had more to do with the melacholy state of present Ted than anything conveyed by Future Ted. Ted was at a pretty dark place when he left MacLaren's and everybody had basically outgrown him

And if you disagree, there's only one way to settle it...
<dancing banana goes here>

Haha! I'd accept that challenge... but, I'm not Sparkles, bitch, so I don't fancy my chances.

Wouldn't it be a terrible thing to do to go through this entire series and then meet the mother only to have her die fairly quickly afterwards?  I don't think anyone associated with this show wants to have that kind of ending.

Exactly. That's why I hope we're right. Whether the Mother dies shortly after Ted's son is born or recently from the kids' perspective in 2030 after 16-17 years of marital bliss, it'd be way too much of a downer for me. That's why I'm hoping Dave and Josh are misreading it, even though they're far from the only ones online to interpret things that way. Because after eight seasons of build up, I want Ted to have an unabashedly happy ending.

#74 of 121 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 27 2013 - 08:47 PM

I think the Mother turning out to have passed away would really rile up the fanbase.

I took it all the same as Adam, but can certainly see how it could be interpreted differently given the melancholy tone in the final scenes.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#75 of 121 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 28 2013 - 05:35 AM

Here's another thing I thought about in the shower this morning: through all of the voiceovers from 2030 Ted, there hasn't been an inkling that Mom has died.  You would think he would have worked it in at some point.  Ya know, something like "here's a story your mom never wanted you to know."  Bob Saget has been entirely too upbeat for the last eight years talking to the kids to have lost the love of his life.

At least, I'm a prayin' and a hopin' there's a really solid happy ending for Ted.

#76 of 121 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:08 PM

Pretty cool anti bachelor party, but I feel a little sorry for Zabka. His face was so red!
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#77 of 121 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 10:55 AM

The Zabka reveal reminded me of the reveal scene from Tootsie.

Edited by Hanson, May 02 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#78 of 121 Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted May 09 2013 - 09:33 AM

With regards to the most recent episode, I'm amazed that they're going back to the Ted & Robin well yet again.

Even if they don't spend an entire episode on it, it's still too much.

As soon as she called Ted after Barney, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "here we go again".

Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

#79 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 09 2013 - 03:30 PM

I liked that Ted didn't try to make a play this time, though. He recognized that Robin wasn't reaching for him, she was grasping for an escape hatch from Barney at a particularly low point.

The fact that most of the finale takes place the week before the wedding has me worried they're going to drag this out even longer. The finale should just be Barney and Robin's wedding, however it works out, and end with Ted meeting the Mother. Then use this last season to let us get to know her.

#80 of 121 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 409 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted May 10 2013 - 06:55 AM

I've definitely tired of this show. My oldest son is a big fan, so I still watch it with him, but I really feel like it's gone on too long -- especially when you consider the premise of the entire show. If you were going to tell me about your trip to Florida, and you started your story five years before you got on the airplane, I'd probably punch you in the face by month eight. And then there's the content itself: All the episodes through the years about sexual escapades and one-night stands are downright creepy when you consider this is a father recounting the stories to his teenage kids, including a daughter. Father of the year material right there, Ted.

It's a shame, because I love the cast and the chemistry they have together, but as a concept, I feel the series would ultimately have been stronger at 3-4 seasons at the maximum.

Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users