Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How I Met Your Mother - season 8 thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 of 121 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes, in the John Lithgow episodes. She was mentioned as being away at college. We knew the Mother was in one of Ted's classes. That's where that theory for the Mother came from.

#42 of 121 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think we'd heard but not seen. I think all we'd seen of his dad's second family was the exterior of their house.

#43 of 121 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 01:14 PM

That was phenomenal! All of the Canadian cameos were hilarious and the Dave Coulier/Bob Saget not-so-inside hook was terrific. My daughters have been watching Full House non-stop for the last couple months and driving me nuts and the "Cut. It. Out." line floored me. :D

#44 of 121 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 02:50 PM

the "Cut. It. Out." line floored me. :D
My favourite part about that (which I didn't even realize until I watched it again on the PVR with the gf) was that Bob Saget was the one saying that he still liked the joke! :)

#45 of 121 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,604 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 01:06 AM

The Coulier joke was that he was the subject of Alanis Morrisette's You Oughta Know, the inspiration for Robin Daggers & PS I Love You.  The Full House connection added another layer to it,

This makes me wonder if Robin Sparkles was a parody of Alanis the whole time, considering Alanis was a dance pop singer and the "Debbie Gibson of Canada" when she started out in the recording industry.

If Abby Elliot ever got a sitcom, I would watch it for at least 6 episodes. Even if it were awful.

#46 of 121 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,725 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 01:52 AM

From the interviews I've read, the Robin Sparkles character is definitely an amalgamation of Debbie Gibson and Alanis, though I maintain it's more latter than former.  Indeed a young Alanis was also on a kids' television program, just like Robin Sparkles (You Can't Do That on Television--Vik Sahay from Chuck was also a cast member).

#47 of 121 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:23 AM

Fantastic episode last night. Season 4 quality. Given that Future Ted said that Abby Elliot's character is (aside from being a disastrous mistake) his last serious girlfriend before he meets the Mother, given that he meets the Mother at the train stop after Barney and Robin's wedding and given that Bays and Thomas have confirmed that the wedding will occur in the season finale, it sure does seem to point to us meeting the Mother in the season finale. At this point, anything they'd do to put off meeting the Mother another season would have to be contrived to the point of absurdity. If they have to do a season nine, I'd much prefer it to take us on the journey from meeting the Mother, to the mother becoming a mother. After the heel dragging for the last four seasons, it'd be nice to get the show back to season 1-3 pacing.

#48 of 121 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:25 AM

Yeah, I think they are setting Season9, which they have said is the last as a "courtship" season ending in Ted getting married. But they have one other question to answer: WHY is he telling such a longwinded story to his kids?  What started that dialog..  ;)
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#49 of 121 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:27 AM

Season 9 is a go, so be prepared for more heel dragging. :)

#50 of 121 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yup, season 9 confirmed... as the final season of the series.

#51 of 121 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:16 PM

Can't believe they won't wrap this up by the end of this season, but it must be getting the ratings. I think it has been getting a litle "tired" and time to go out gracefully, but obviously they're pushing it another year. Hope it has some really good writing and hasn't pushed it that extra year and they don't all look like fools doing silly stories to fill up another season.
Stan

#52 of 121 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 06 2013 - 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stan  Can't believe they won't wrap this up by the end of this season, but it must be getting the ratings. I think it has been getting a litle "tired" and time to go out gracefully, but obviously they're pushing it another year. Hope it has some really good writing and hasn't pushed it that extra year and they don't all look like fools doing silly stories to fill up another season.
They've basically said now that it's going to all be about the courtship, etc. That could setup to be pretty good.  All depends.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#53 of 121 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 11 2013 - 03:04 PM

At this point, Ted had better meet the Mother by the end of the season, because I can't take a season and a half of psycho Abby Elliott.

#54 of 121 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 12 2013 - 07:17 AM

I know I keep complaining about things being dragged out, and I promise to stop as I come to accept that this is just how things are going to be until we get down to the last half dozen episodes of Season 9, but the rationale for him to stay with the crazy girlfriend because he's a little crazy right now himself...well, couldn't you say he's been that kind of crazy for the entire series? What has changed, really? I'm thinking I should just stop following the show on a weekly basis and just amass episodes to watch in a marathon viewing. That seems to be the best remedy when shows start getting drawn out like this.

#55 of 121 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 15 2013 - 11:56 AM

Robin Sparkles was great; classic HIMYM. Last nights was mediocre, though I liked the Mike Tyson cameo.

#56 of 121 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 19 2013 - 08:35 AM

"The Ashtray" was another solid episode. I like that there was a bit of forward momentum / good fortune for Lily, and the Rashomon-inspired storytelling never seems to go wrong. The other bonus is seeing Robin act shamelessly, which Smulders seems to have a knack for.

#57 of 121 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,056 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 19 2013 - 01:37 PM

Part of me is simply over these kind of flashback episodes.  Any number of shows have done episodes like this in the recent past and I'm always "meh" on them.  It just seems a tired way of looking like you're doing something inventive. Now, when Lily is breaking down on the couch saying she's only a teacher...yeah, I really liked that scene.  I think a lot of it was me channeling emotions from my own life right now into the show, but it was still impactful.

#58 of 121 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,648 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 19 2013 - 02:03 PM

I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous. This iterative telling of story-telling is, to me, classic HIMYM. After eight seasons, it's not as freshly surprising, but it's it's still fun. And the epilogue, with the Arch Duke Play is fun.

#59 of 121 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 25 2013 - 02:37 PM

Glad they didn't drag the Jennette thing out indefinitely. With her being the last girl Ted dates before he meets the Mother, it sure does feel like were just outside the end zone. With six episodes left, it's seeming more and more likely that we're going to meet the Mother by the end of the season. At this point, any contrivance to put it off another season would be excruciatingly painful.

#60 of 121 OFFLINE   Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted March 04 2013 - 12:50 AM

I thought it was already established that we're not going to meet the mother until the last episode of next season?
Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users