What's new

The Amazing Race 21 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The cast list is here.

After watching the Australian edition of TAR this past summer, I am really hoping this upcoming season of the US version will not be lopsided like the previous season was, where it was basically a race between 2 teams only.

Also, it looks like no first-time visits to any countries this season. I guess they want to showcase some cities around the world in HD for the first time ever.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
The cast list is here.
After watching the Australian edition of TAR this past summer, I am really hoping this upcoming season of the US version will not be lopsided like the previous season was, where it was basically a race between 2 teams only.
Also, it looks like no first-time visits to any countries this season. I guess they want to showcase some cities around the world in HD for the first time ever.
I love this show, by far my favorite reality type show, miles ahead of any of the others.
Dish Network reloaded last night so was finally able to add it to the schedule.
Last season was pretty much between the two teams, but that's life, they were good and were able to keep things going until they won. It's not as exciting to watch when one team is so much better than the others, but still fun to watch.
While they obviously do a lot of editing, it seems more realistic, not like "Survivor" or "Big Brother" where things are so manipulative.
By the way, starts September 30 for those who don't already know.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3978601
Last season was pretty much between the two teams, but that's life, they were good and were able to keep things going until they won. It's not as exciting to watch when one team is so much better than the others, but still fun to watch.

It was definitely interesting to watch, mainly due to drama between teams, which I find amusing (if not annoying, at times). If not for that, I would have thought of it as one of the boring seasons of all-time.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
It was definitely interesting to watch, mainly due to drama between teams, which I find amusing (if not annoying, at times). If not for that, I would have thought of it as one of the boring seasons of all-time.
The drama between and within teams is often the best part of the show. This sounds terrible, but watching the meltdowns between couples, partners, friends, etc. as the race progresses is often quite amusing.
Maybe slick editing and a lot behind the scenes we don't see, but the network certainly builds the drama between and within the different teams.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, didn't realize TAR season 19 started tonight. Crazy bit of casting for the teams this season, and they doubled the grand prize to $2 million.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Only one team is eligible for the $2 million - the stipulation is you have to win the first and last leg.
Typically good opener for the show, but no one team jumped out at me yet to root for. I hope the Sri Lankan sisters go home early, though. By the show's halfway point I was already muting them.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I was a bit stunned at how many teams didn't know what an abacus was. Then again, I was stunned that my wife didn't get the "Mr Rourke and Tattoo" reference.

And TWO stupid things to do - letting a team go ahead of you at the airport, and telling another team where to find the clue at the end of the race. Wow.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Has anybody else noticed that this season's backpacks seem to be a lot bigger than previous seasons? I noticed a lot of folks last season using Osprey Talons which are mostly daypacks but some teams this year seem to be carring a helluva lot more stuff than previous episodes. I notice some teams still using rolled luggage!!! (WTF???) ..
Thought the Table Tennis challenge was fun, the folks wouldn't of had a chance if the girl was actually playing. :) (as a player myself)..
Jay

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So good to be back with this show.

Decent cast this year. My favorites are probably James
and Mark, the Rock Musicians because they are very "cool"
about everything they have had to do so far.

My least favorite is Josh and Brent, the goat farmers tied with
twins Natalie and Nadiya.

Great start to the show. I am wondering, however, what
happened with the Chipendales guys? Did they just happen
upon the pit stop before getting the abacus clue?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3982496
Great start to the show. I am wondering, however, what
happened with the Chipendales guys? Did they just happen
upon the pit stop before getting the abacus clue?

They were following another team who "knew where to go." It turned out they were going to the pit stop :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
"I have two, but please don't eat mine."

Glad to see this show back, as I still think the American version is not only the original version, but still remains the best one, and best reality show. And this year's Emmy win is proof of that.

Having recently visited LA, I just did not have enough time to get to Pasadena, which was where the starting line was. Other than the rappel at the starting line, it did feel kind of like the older seasons, seeing the teams drive to LAX and get plane tickets, and even mentioning which teams were on which flights to Shanghai. That part was entirely skipped last season, which I did not mind, with the starting point being in the same city for now on.

Whenever I see Shanghai, I can't help but think of "meet George Jetson", as it looks like it is set in the future. Also, the first time the race ever had 2 Roadblocks in 1 leg, was in season 16. And we see it again here. And both of those times, happened in the same city. Coincidence? I think not!

The Bund looks like one of those places to get a great view of the city and the river. Too bad that while racing, you can't really enjoy it, as I would find it very intoxicating.

Not sure how I feel about the whole $2 million prize thing will play out, as this twist could disappear in an instant, along with the associated suspense. The producers have to hope that it will being the same good luck charm as the Express Pass did, which had every team that won it, ended up making it to the Final 3.

Ronald Epstein said:
/t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3982157
And TWO stupid things to do - letting a team go ahead of you at the airport, and telling another team where to find the clue at the end of the race. Wow.
Adding to that, towards the end of the first leg, where a team's race could end an instant, all because of a simple blunder.

The elimination has to suck for Rob & Shelia, who pretty much did the whole Bund thing on their own, while most of the others had help.

And a side note - watching the preview at the end of the episode, I can see one of the teams got pretty far, by simply recognizing what city they were in, based on the look of the buildings. So I kind of got spoiled there.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
I was a bit stunned at how many teams didn't know what an abacus was. Then again, I was stunned that my wife didn't get the "Mr Rourke and Tattoo" reference.
That was pretty shocking. I got an abacus as a gift when I was about 15 and even then knew what it was. Guess that education has changed a lot the past few decades.
Major TWO stupid things to do, these people need to put away the nice guy attitude and remember to play the game. Maybe not necessarily lie to the others or trick them, but you certainly don't help them.
Interesting mix of players this time. I'm guessing the two blondes, Caitlin and Brittany may pull this off, they've got the right attitude, skill, physicality, etc.
People to leave as soon as possible... The monster truck team (husband is a jackass), the twins (both lazy, unmotivated), the teachers (nice guys, but the tall guy is so out of shape, tires after running 100 feet, he'll never be able to do the physical stuff).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The show nearly started on time, being late by only a minute. CBS pushing the lineup over by a half hour, does allievate somewhat with the football overruns.

Already the race has made a return visit to Indonesia, just 2 seasons after making its first visit there. It does feel like "so soon", but I guess this is to make up for not visiting there at all for the 1st 18 seasons of show. And they managed to visit areas that even the other foreign editions did not visit.

I was not really understanding the logic that the monster truckers were using, deciding to book a flight without doing any research. At the very least, if you are on a flight with other teams, it's even keel. And they had to be alarmed to be the only team that was going to Hong Kong, while the other teams were connecting through Jakarta. It seemed like it was more about getting out of Shanghai before everyone else than getting to Surabaya first. Combined with the bad cab driver, it is a bit surprising to see them survive this leg.

And the Express Pass was not eliminated after all, but held off until the 2nd leg. And glad to see a different team win that. Maybe a good sign that this season will be more wide open. Though, the twins may be too much to deal with, being all hyper and talking so freaking loud. But I give them credit for doing the more stinky task, with the smelly fish. This detour kind of reminded me of one that was used in the Asian edition, where it was between ice and fish, which was done in Sri Lanka (which so happens, is where the twins are from).

I know it's early in the race, but whenever I see teams forming alliances, we all know they won't last long, and often end very badly. We shall see in the case of the hyper twins and team Texas.

Probably the biggest beef with fans is how a team's fate falls into the hands of cab drivers and their sense of direction (or lack thereof). I thought Amy & Daniel would be one of those teams that get very far, and would have rather see them in the race than the substitute teachers, who are starting to annoy me, and hope they are gone next.

I am really liking the rockers, who may become this season's fan favorite, with their cool attitude throughout the race so far. The blondes may be the other team I like, but hopefully they won't stay in the back of the pack. The Chippendales seem to be a likeable team as well.

The other teams - still have to wait and see.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
***SPOILER SPACE*** ***SPOILER SPACE***

Comment deals specifically with eliminated team:

Funny... Early in the episode Amy was commenting how losing her feet made her more competitive and driven which should help them go far. I commented that's not going to matter if they get a bad cab driver and get lost. And that's exactly what happened. Unbelievable.

I hate seeing a team get eliminated due to forces out of their control, especially when they seem to be a good team.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It was sad to see Amy leave. Should have been the hillbilly monster trucker team, I can't stand them, they just got very lucky with this leg of the race.
Can't believe the twins pulled off a first place finish. They did a complete 180 from the first leg. Unmotivated, lazy, etc. to a gung-ho, we're going to win this attittude. The Express Pass could be a major game changer if used properly.
Don't see the substitute teachers going much further, the big guy is terribly out of shape and can't do anything physical while the little guy practically gives up just making balloon animals. Takes a lot more guts to get through this, you've got to leave the loser attitude at home and just go for it.
Don't mean to spoil anything, but aren't the rules of this forum that once a show is broadcast, we're free to comment on anything?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21#post_3985700
Don't mean to spoil anything, but aren't the rules of this forum that once a show is broadcast, we're free to comment on anything?

It's definitely fair game to comment on the episode once it airs. Just have to be careful not to put it in the first part, where it shows on the message board.

If the trend continues from previous seasons, the twins should make it to the final 3. Though I am sure that would be too much of their craziness at that point.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
In some markets in the Eastern time zone, the show should start 8:22 PM.
Thanks for the warning. Not sure if it will affect us on the west coast, but added extra time before "The Amazing Race" and after "The Good Wife" so hopefully they'll fall somewhere in the middle and I'll get complete episodes.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Stan, you will never have to worry about football overruns, since they don't affect the West Coast at all. It's just those in the Eastern and Central time zones that get affected.

I will say this for now after watching this episode, I just can't believe what happened in the end, with the way everything happened, and reminding me of the one of the drawbacks of traveling.

I'm being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers, for those who haven't seen it yet. And I am tired, so I will write (or respond) more later on.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I give it a few days before I post anything spoileriffic as a courtesy to timeshifters.

That being said, I have to wonder

what the statistics are for teams who get eliminated due to bad cab drivers.

That has got to be the worst feeling because it's due to no fault of your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks