What's new

Are there any soundbars with headphone connections? (1 Viewer)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
I actually already know the answer, and its yes and no... See bold text if you do not want to read
I don't want to spend that much money, because I'm not rich and this is just going to be a bedroom setup... none of the "cheaper" soundbars come with headphone ports (that I can find).
So I'm not sure what to do; I'm currently brainstorming my bedroom setup:
  • I dropped cable TV, and now only use the internet (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon video, iTunes rentals, etc...) and DVDs (usually kiosk rentals)
  • I've tried a couple of those internet TV connect devices (example: Roku), and they are very limited and simply suck, so...
I was thinking I will connect my notebook via HDMI to a TV. This will carry sound/audio, but the thing is a number of these small LCD/LED tvs have very poor speakers. No problem, since I can connect a decent self-powered sound bar (please don't throw tomatoes); however...
I'm not sure how I can use headphones (to keep quite at night). I feel silly not knowing, but do computers cut off the audio from the HDMI output if you plug in headphones? I know they do this with the regular audio outputs, so I'm wondering.
On that note, would a TV cut off the audio from the optical output if one plugs headphones into the TV? Of course only a select many TVs come with headphone ports.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are various ways around this...depending on your laptop.
Basic 'puters come with headphone and HDMI. If you are lucky your headphone jack is also SPDIF(which helps you).
So, which type of connections do you have?
First scenario...laptop/tower with just HDMI and headphone...
Yes the headphone jack interrupts the audio out the HDMI. It even does that on a real AVR. It would even do it on the soundbar. No way around it.
2nd scenario...if your headphone jack is also SPDIF...
laptop content doesn't contain "lossless" audio anyway(DTS HD/Dolby True HD). If it is SPDIF, split with this and to this...and headphones...
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27027-Toslink-Splitter/dp/B0002344GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348230500&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+splitter
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348230545&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+rca+adapter
3rd scenario...and the "easiest best"...
Bluetooth headphones.
If any of those answer your need...let us know. If your laptop/puter has more connections...let us know that as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...
If you just connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI and your TV has a digital audio output, there is nothing stopping you from splitting that output and sending it to a soundbar and an "amp" for headphones. You would simply get the Cables-To-Go and Saxony from the prior post and put those between the TV and soundbar. Then your headphones are independent.

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Headphone amp? I don't want to spend any money, so please take it easy on me... I also want a clean/simple setup, nothing fancy. I do have a 3.1 HT in the living room
I currently do not own a notebook, soundbar, or small TV... I'm in the market. Brainstorming my bedroom setup I suppose.
schan1269 said:
Yes the headphone jack interrupts the audio out the HDMI. It even does that on a real AVR. It would even do it on the soundbar. No way around it.
Maybe my first post wasn't clear, but when I use my headphones I do not want the speakers working, so this ^ is perfect.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you haven't bought anything, why act like there is a problem???
Buy a TV with a headphone jack and be done with it.
And, exactly how are you going to get a soundbar, TV and laptop without spending any money?

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Man, you are being a jerk in both of my threads :D
Well, sorry I'm researching before I buy anything. . . There is a reason I'm debt free and even my mortgage is 80% paid off and I'm only 30 years old.
I was getting the impression that you where recommending me buying a headphone amp (what $100...) and bluetooth headphones (anther $60 + dollars?)
The headphones are only used to not disturb others; I've never really used headphones before, so thats why I'm asking questions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go...and you don't need both...
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-e5-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348281645&sr=1-2&keywords=headphone+amplifier ($20)
or
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTH220-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B005LKB0IU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348281696&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+bluetooth ($30)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Why the hell are you recommending me headphone amp and bluetooth headphones? Wait... please DO NOT answer that.
If the headphone out interrupts the audio from the HDMI (on my future notebook) then that may be all that I need to know.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First, you need to buy a laptop.
You have a choice of HDMI and headphone jack. Or you can have HDMI, headphone jack and SPDIF.
SPDIF will still "kill" the audio from the HDMI...but you won't care. Split the SPDIF in two. Run one to a soundbar. Run the other into optical/analog adapter with a HEADPHONE AMP to a pair of headphones...
If you do that, you don't care about the "volume graph" in the TV. You'll be able to control the volume from the laptop...
But oh yeah...you don't have a budget of $40 extra to make any of this work after buying your TV and laptop.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And, before you ask..."Volume control via the laptop?"...
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B0050PUGZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348283957&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop+remote

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
do computers cut off the audio from the HDMI output if you plug in headphones? said:
Of course only a select many TVs come with headphone ports.
If you have a display that has a dedicated headphone output, it should kill all other audio outputs when used. If for some reason it doesn't and you have a sound bar connected (if you do this, then the TVs internal speakers should already be disabled), you can simply turn off the soundbar and that should take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks