Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BioWare's Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk Are Retiring

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,110 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 18 2012 - 05:35 PM

Maybe they put out the Dragon Age III announcement-news yesterday to build up some goodwill because of this: http://kotaku.com/59...k-both-retiring EA has a list of kills in their name bigger than Carlos Hathcock. The benefit of the doubt does not exist, as far as they're concerned. I just really hope the story went like this -- BioWare founders know they're nearing retirement from the games industry, sell the company to EA so it'll live on, and stick around for a bit to smooth the transition -- rather than like this -- BioWare founders have no plan to retire from the games industry, sell the company to EA, and then are slowly beaten into submission by the bottom-dollar-oriented corporate behemoth. As a huge fan of many of their games, both versions of the story are sad, but only one of them is actually painful.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well, I liked their blog post.   I tend to think it's a mix of both.   They sold hoping to do one thing, then the combination of having F-U money and dealing with the behemoth meant it was easier to just move on and do a beer blog.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,110 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:34 PM

Tycho over at Penny Arcade had a couple of interesting tweets about this:

Khoo and I looked at the date of the Bioware buyout/today's announcement. Probably isn't a coincidence that it's almost 5 years exactly.

As somebody with a company people are always trying to buy, this is almost textbook. Acquisition with a five year "backend" payout.

My hopes were that they would step up and right the ship. Shame, but they earned a nice retirement. Thanks, EA. Get ready for "Mass Effect: Spectre Warfare," everybody. (Seriously, this news sucks ass...no wonder Obsidian went Kickstarter for its new project.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users