-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Driving Miss Daisy; Mrs. Miniver; Grand Hotel (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 08:43 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:43 AM

An auspicious beginning for Warner's 90th Birthday...all three titles are already up for pre-order at Amazon.com for 30% off...Posted Image

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:57 AM

(Driving Miss Daisy; Mrs. Miniver; Grand Hotel)

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:58 AM

Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy."  Have never seen the other two offerings

and would love a recommendation for them if warranted.

...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.

Ronald J Epstein

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted September 18 2012 - 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

All three titles are deserving blind buys, Ron...purchase with confidence!!!Posted Image

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 18 2012 - 10:26 AM

Ronbo,

I think you'll enjoy Grand Hotel. it's a little dated, but some of the dialogue is still fresh today.  I think you'll find Ms. Crawford and Ms. Garbo a hoot with the Barrymore brothers.  John is Drew's grandfather.

As to Mrs. Miniver, it might be a little slow for you, but it's a fine film telling the story of one Brit family coping during the early stages of WW II.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,326 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy."  Have never seen the other two offerings and would love a recommendation for them if warranted. ...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.

As a best picture completist, I have them all (on DVD). Mrs. Miniver does a great job dramatizing the British homefront during the outbreak of the war, but my only complaint is that, like many movies made during the war, it is clearly a "propaganda" movie meant to rally support for the war effort.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:48 AM

Cannot wait for these to come out. Driving Miss Daisy should look amazing. It's never looked all that good on DVD. Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel are two of my all time favs. Would love to see Warner give us Around the World In 80 Days too. Hoping for too much?

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:50 AM

Just preordered all three titles.

I must have watched Mrs. Miniver previously -- even
possibly reviewed it.  I have an open DVD copy sitting

on my shelf.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:35 AM

Just preordered all three titles.

I must have watched Mrs. Miniver previously -- even
possibly reviewed it.  I have an open DVD copy sitting

on my shelf.

Ron,

I think you were reviewing when it came out on DVD back in early 2004.

Crawdaddy

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,743 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nick*Z 

Cannot wait for these to come out. Driving Miss Daisy should look amazing. It's never looked all that good on DVD. Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel are two of my all time favs. Would love to see Warner give us Around the World In 80 Days too. Hoping for too much?

You don't need to hope.  Warner said they were putting AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS out on Blu in 2013 also, just no firm date.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:49 AM

Mrs. Miniver is truly a great film. I watched it this past year when it came on TCM late one night and I was entranced by the storyline and Miss Garson. Not to diminish the era it takes place in, but it's one of those movies that makes you, or maybe just me, wish I could have been a part of. I would have to say to anyone wondering, this movie is a blind buy you won't regret.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 08:13 AM

@ahollis: Warner NEVER said that! Post a link to prove your (false) claim.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,743 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 19 2012 - 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oliver Siegel 

@ahollis:
Warner NEVER said that! Post a link to prove your (false) claim.

I had it listed here, but I'm not going to make it that easy.  Go back and read the thread Lou For You in the DVD Forum.   He has a link to one of his articles where he talked to Jeff Baker from Warner Brothers about their plans for their 90th Anniversary.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 03:44 PM

I had it listed here, but I'm not going to make it that easy.  Go back and read the thread Lou For You in the DVD Forum.   He has a link to one of his articles where he talked to Jeff Baker from Warner Brothers about their plans for their 90th Anniversary. 

From the Lou Lumenick NY Post article: "[Jeff] Baker [executive vice president of theatrical catalogue for Warner Home Video] indicated that Warner will be 'converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration 'including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray' He didn't name those titles..." (Emphasis mine.) Lumenick then goes on to list the nine unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners that Warner either owns or has licensed, one of which is Around the World in 80 Days.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 19 2012 - 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Penna 

From the Lou Lumenick NY Post article:
"[Jeff] Baker [executive vice president of theatrical catalogue for Warner Home Video] indicated that Warner will be 'converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration 'including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray' He didn't name those titles..." (Emphasis mine.)
Lumenick then goes on to list the nine unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners that Warner either owns or has licensed, one of which is Around the World in 80 Days.

With those listed below in bold already announced for January releases, I can only hope that Around the World in Eighty Days and The Best Years of Our Lives are the other two that makes it five on BRD.  No offense to the remaining Warner Best Picture Winners.

Baker indicated that Warner will be "converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year'' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration "including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray'' He didn't name those titles, which will be announced at a press conference in October/ (Warner's unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners are, starting with the newest, "Driving Miss Daisy,'' "Around the World in Eighty Days,'' "Mrs. Miniver,'' "The Life of Emile Zola,'' "The Great Ziegfeld,'' "Grand Hotel,'' the 1930 "Cimarron'' and "The Broadway Melody of 1929,'' as well as the newly-licensed "The Best Years of Our Lives'' from the Goldwyn library. Warners' video rights to "My Fair Lady'' reverted to CBS several years ago).

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz26ytE1Tg6

Crawdaddy

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted September 20 2012 - 09:26 AM

From the Lou Lumenick NY Post article: "[Jeff] Baker [executive vice president of theatrical catalogue for Warner Home Video] indicated that Warner will be 'converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration 'including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray' He didn't name those titles..." (Emphasis mine.) Lumenick then goes on to list the nine unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners that Warner either owns or has licensed, one of which is Around the World in 80 Days.

Thx for posting this quote,Paul :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users