What's new

Output help with my Harman Kardon AVR-3600 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Adam
So I upgraded my receiver to a Harmon Kardon AVR-3600. I have a question about the sub output. I upgraded from an old Onkyo TX-910 where the sub out was a red and a white RCA out. This H/K 3600 has a single RCA sub out, but some other pre outs. My plan is to get rid of my current powered sub and run a 12" passive sub on each side.
It'd go REC. -> EQ -> Power Amp -> SUB/SUB.
How can this be done with the H/K 3600?? I haven't had this new of a receiver. I'm no n00b by any means, but I just don't want to mess anything up. :confused:
Here's the back view if you need it: http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/b002ikkfuaback.jpg

Real Name
Adam
I would do that, but each channel of the power amp requires a red and white RCA connection. Splitting the sub pre out would work for one channel of the power amp. Which ones would I use to get signal to the other channel of the power amp for the 2nd sub?

Real Name
Adam
I would do that, but each channel of the power amp requires a red and white RCA connection. Splitting the sub pre out would work for one channel of the power amp. Which ones would I use to get signal to the other channel of the power amp for the 2nd sub?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So in the last 9 hours of audios existence...
This...
http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-RY6-Male-Female-Adaptor/dp/B0007LCKJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347974004&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+splitter+1+male+to+2+female
No longer works for your application. Nice to know a cable created 50+ years ago to do this exact thing, miraculously overnight, no longer does. Thanks for the heads up.

Real Name
Adam
Cool sarcasm, bro.
What I'm saying is I'm still going to be short a whole set of red and white. Unless you're saying splitting the sub out, then splitting both of those again?
What I was also wondering if any of those other pre-outs would work. So grab 2 of those splitters, plug one into the FR and one into the FL, and just not use the sub out - would that work?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Either I'm confused, or you are over-complicating it...or...you really mean two subs on each side...
I assume you mean to run the sub pre-out to a splitter to create two. Red/White(once run from a pre-out like the 3600 has) is irrelevant.
Do your subs(which are???) have red/white on them? If so, you don't need to use both, pick one.
Essentially anytime you see red/white on a sub, it is running the RCA splitter "in reverse" anyway.
So, split the signal once, run the two into each sub once.
Now if your "twin subs" are really dual voice coil and you are running a stereo amp to each...
Then yes, run the RCA splitter into two more splitters...making 4 connections from 1.
Edit:
When you see .2 on a receiver, and look at the back and see 2 subwoofer connections, and it ISN'T an Onkyo with a street price of $3000...
That is all that 2 connections is. An INTERNAL RCA splitter...taking 1 connection and creating 2. That is all you are doing...except you need to buy a $2 splitter.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
famousblinkadam said:
So grab 2 of those splitters, plug one into the FR and one into the FL, and just not use the sub out - would that work?
This you don't really want to do - again, the fundamental difference between adding a subwoofer to a stereo receiver vs. a modern surround sound receiver. In order for the subwoofer signal to NOT be processed internally by the HK (and therefore be sent out via the main pre-outs), would require you to tell the HK that you don't have a subwoofer connected (to the pre-out, that is) and for the HK to send the full range audio signal to your main channels.

The main benefit of having a subwoofer pre-out is to relieve your main speakers from having to produce the power-hungry low frequencies that your subwoofer is better capable of handling. This is why you configure the internal crossover on the receiver to route the low stuff to the subwoofer.

If you disable the subwoofer preout on the receiver and route it all through the mains, you're completely bypassing this benefit - not to mention I'm not even sure you can use the speaker terminals AND the pre-outs at the same time...

Stick with what Sam suggested - split the single subwoofer pre-out once and feed a single RCA to either the left or right input on each subwoofer. It will still work just fine.

Just be sure to take the time to properly set up and configure the receiver to get the best performance.

Real Name
Adam
Sorry for all the confusion, guys.
My set up is going to consist of two 12" subs. ONE sub on each side. They are not powered subs - they are passive. I'm powering them with a power amp. Before the power amp is going to be a 2 channel EQ. What I was originally asking was how to get signal to both channels of the EQ. The outputs on the EQ are a set of red and white RCA's for each channel, which connects it to my power amp.
Right channel post-receiver:
Red/white RCA
to
Red/white RCA input on R channel of EQ. Red/white RCA out
to
Red/white RCA input on R channel of power amp. Regular stripped wire screw terminals output to R sub cabinet.
Left channel post-receiver:
Red/white RCA
to
Red/white RCA input on L channel of EQ. Red/white RCA out
to
Red/white RCA input on L channel of power amp. Regular stripped wire screw terminals output to L sub cabinet.
Again, sorry for all the confusion. For my setup, I'm needing 2 sets of red/white RCA plugs out of the Sub pre-out. So, do I just split that signal twice?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are these dual voice coil woofers?
If not, why are you running two amps, both in dual mono?
Also, the 3600 has its own bass management. You don't need the outboard EQ. (you probably did need this for the older Onkyo...as you were using outputs on it not designed for what you were using them for)
And, for the third time...
WHAT DO YOU HAVE?
What EQ is this?
What amps are these?
What driver are these?
Once we know all this we can quit shooting arrows with a blindfold on.

Real Name
Adam
schan1269 said:
Are these dual voice coil woofers?
If not, why are you running two amps, both in dual mono?
I found 2 Polk PSW505 powered subs with bad on-board amps. I'm taking the amps out, putting a baffle on the back with a wire terminal.
schan1269 said:
Also, the 3600 has its own bass management. You don't need the outboard EQ. (you probably did need this for the older Onkyo...as you were using outputs on it not designed for what you were using them for)
I told you the wrong receiver by mistake. I have the Onkyo TX-906. My current powered sub is running off the red/white RCA rear line outs.
http://images01.olx.ru/ui/15/24/98/1315852482_249771698_2--Onkyo-TX-906-1991---.jpg
schan1269 said:
And, for the third time...
WHAT DO YOU HAVE?
What EQ is this?
What amps are these?
What driver are these?
Once we know all this we can quit shooting arrows with a blindfold on.
Don't laugh, I had this stuff just sitting around. I do plan to upgrade stuff when I get it all hooked up and working.
REC: Harman Kardon AVR-3600
FR SPK: JBL Northridge ND310
SURR SPK: JBL E60 (small fronts used as surrounds)
BKSHELF SPK: Energy Pro Series 1.5
CNTR SPK: JBL Northridge Series N
EQ: Yamaha EQ-70
http://www.graniteplanet.5u.com/eq70a.jpg
PWR AMP: Peavey CS400
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/peavey-cs-series-cs-400-339756.jpg
SUB: (2) Polk PSW505 (remember - just the woofer and cab; no amp)
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0
Thank you for your patience.

Real Name
Adam
The 2 Polk subs have blown amps, so I'm putting a new baffle on the back with a built in wire terminal on each so they're be powered by the power amp.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Remove the EQ70. Once you set-up the 3600 using the pre-out, you'll only be sending 80hz and under anyway. The receiver should have(I've not read its manual) have 2-3 EQ "levers" for the sub anyway at 80hz and under.
You only need to split the signal once. So you are running "dual mono" into the Peavey.
And if you haven't messed with the PSW505 yet...
Remove the plate amp and "bypass" the internal amp. You can then run the wire from the driver directly to a "speaker terminal" and run the Peavey to the same speaker terminal...but on the outside. I've done that with two subwoofers...
JBL DPS12
DCM Sub710

Real Name
Adam
Okay I think I understand now haha. So, split the sub-out, throw a RCA to 1/4" adapter on both of those RCA jacks, one of them would go to Channel A on the Peavey, the other one would go to Channel B on the Peavey, then I'd have the 2 outputs I need?

Real Name
Adam
Ha no I was just confused about if I needed 2 sets of RCA cables going to the power amp. I don't know why I was thinking that at all.
I'll be posting pics of the whole set up when it's all complete.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cool. I did look at the OM for the 3600...
EZSet apparently does EQ the sub(or at least it says it does)...
And, of course, in typical "owners manual fashion"...it says there is "manual speaker set-up"...but it doesn't show any of the setting in the manual...just "where to find it"...

Real Name
Adam
Yea, the EZSet is a load of crap haha. I have both my subs set up finally but I'm going to end up getting a different power amp, and then an EQ, then a power conditioner and just putting those 3 things in a rack. The subs are beefy, and sound phenomenal, but the EZSet could be better. That's about the only thing I don't like about the receiver. The menus on the TV help out a lot. And now my house shakes and my neighbors hate me so it's great! :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread