What's new

Bones Season 8 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Premieres tonight on Fox... for those who don't quite remember the end of last season, Bones is "on the lam" after being kind of framed by a subject who is obviously a serial killer.. just a very, very smart one.. and what happens next? I expect that plot to conclude tonight.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have read that Pelant (the serial killer) will be the season's Big Bad and recur at various intervals stirring up trouble and taunting the team.

I despised the way the previous season ended with him getting the better of all of these geniuses; his abilities simply made him to be superhuman and untouchable. Tonight's show was much more satisfying even if things still didn't go quite as they planned.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Seems a bit wierd that suddenly Pelant is a different person.. One with immunity. That really feels like a crappy way of the writers changing thier mind at the last minute.
Wouldn't they have know all of this the first time he was sent to prison?
Also, the quick edit where suddenly the boss lady is talking with Bones, when just the scene before she made of point of "not knowing" she was there was also strange. It feels like thy made some last minute changes. I wonder if this was originally a two parter and they changed it at the last minute when they suddenly decided that Pelant was going to be this seasons gravedigger. I wonder if he was originally going die after this opening two episodes.
This show has been one of my favorites, but....
I think they are building a ramp......... And filling the shart tank.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Scott-S /t/323803/bones-season-8#post_3976654
Seems a bit wierd that suddenly Pelant is a different person.. One with immunity. That really feels like a crappy way of the writers changing thier mind at the last minute.
Wouldn't they have know all of this the first time he was sent to prison?
Also, the quick edit where suddenly the boss lady is talking with Bones, when just the scene before she made of point of "not knowing" she was there was also strange. It feels like thy made some last minute changes. I wonder if this was originally a two parter and they changed it at the last minute when they suddenly decided that Pelant was going to be this seasons gravedigger. I wonder if he was originally going die after this opening two episodes.
This show has been one of my favorites, but....
I think they are building a ramp......... And filling the shart tank.

He's not a different person at all. He's Pelant. He used his computer skills to create a false identity and inserted his finger prints/etc. to make that identity seemingly whole. I thought that was pretty well explained. I quite liked that as his backup plan.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree. He's always one step ahead of the team. Seemed clear to me, though, that Max (Ryan O'Neal) will likely be the one to eventually bring him down, perhaps sacrificing himself to save his daughter. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out over the course of the season.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It make some sense to me that he could have falsified his identity, but the Egyptian officials would know anyone in the country important enough to have immunity.
Oh, well.... It is just a TV show. But I wish they would ditch the bad guys with "magic powers". It just seems like a cheat to force story lines.
I have more tollerance of shows that are sci-fi / fantasy with regards to the villans. It just doesn't feel right in a more "realistic" crime procedural.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I also find it a bit tough to take when within the episode they talk about how Temperance and Max went to his hometown and Max found a paper copy of a picture of Pelant.(and I thought that Max talked to his grandfather). There would be people who would recognize him in that town. I understand that Pelant could have 'hacked' some things to try to rush the process to hurry up and get out of there, but I would think that someone (like Caroline) would be able to get some sort of court order to hold him until things could be sorted out.
It's a nice idea, but they've stretched plausibility to its breaking point. I still like and will watch Bones, but it's seriously running on fumes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought the season premiere was a little on the messy side, but they had to bring the band back together, and this is what they came up with. I'm probably going to bump this show down on the priority viewing list this season (plus, not really a fan of the Bones/Booth overt pairing, even though it was going to happen, now that we're here, I'm not all that invested in the relationship, though it seems Bones might not be the most conventional of "partners" in a relationship.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Is anyone else getting annoyed with the whole Pelant story line? They have made hime just way too smart for a non sci-fi world. They seem to be milking this supervillian for way too long. I hope this is the last season. I have loved this show, but it is getting a bit stale and I have not really like Temperance ever since she became a mom. She has gotten even more annoying and less atractive at the same time :) Motherhood doesnt seem to work for her. (character, not actor) I guess I am only still watching out of loyalty to a show that I onced liked but has now become a habit.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Scott-S
Is anyone else getting annoyed with the whole Pelant story line? They have made hime just way too smart for a non sci-fi world. They seem to be milking this supervillian for way too long.
I hope this is the last season. I have loved this show, but it is getting a bit stale and I have not really like Temperance ever since she became a mom. She has gotten even more annoying and less atractive at the same time
Motherhood doesnt seem to work for her. (character, not actor)
I guess I am only still watching out of loyalty to a show that I onced liked but has now become a habit.
I have despised the use of Pelant as the uber-villain who outmoves and outthinks everyone, who can manipulate all computer systems, make his way into any home or workplace no matter how well guarded, and have intimate knowledge of every field of endeavor. He has long outlasted his purposes, but it's obvious that the show's producers think he's their best creation yet by stretching his villainy over two complete seasons. I stated my distate of this super villain plot device in last year's thread (and the review of last season's Blu-ray box set), and I'm only more firmly resolved in my distate for his continued use.
Bones has already been renewed for another season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm right there with you fellas with regards to Pelant. As far as the show goes, I still like the characters but this was the first season that I seriously considered dropping the show due to time constraints. It has fallen into the 'might as well complete the series since I've been with it for so long' category vs. something I actively seek out. - Walter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
More than that, the concept of Hodgkins "going broke" is laughable. Pelant could raid bank accounts, true. But his family owned several companies, which he pointed out in the end. It's not as though those companies just shut their doors and were liquidated overnight. Or, the fact that he owns a major estate outright. When they showed him clamoring for a left over bagels I snickered. Please, you think a few phone calls where you say: "I was with FBI agents while a known criminal committed bank fraud" wouldn't get you some action on recovering some funds? Bankers wouldn't take your call? Or that you're the most paranoid character on the show and yet you used one password on all your accounts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Having been involved with a banker during a "bank fraud" case of the scale Pelant orchestrated... Only those people with lost "ill gotten gains" can't get their money back. He'd be running on a credit card for a month or two, but all the money would be restored. He'd still lose some of it, but "personal 250,000 limits(is that what it is?) per account" don't exist on the corporate level. What Pelant did is the same thing Reese does on POI. The difference is, if you have money missing and "want it back"...you have to prove where it came from.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While they keep up the lost money storyline that I dislike, I really liked tonights episode.. especially the storyline around Bone's kid biting someone. Cute B story that helped the whole thing click along.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked that Angela mentioned they were living off their salaries like most folks do. Brought a nice human touch to their predicament, and now the hot sauce promises to restore at least some of his fortune. Good for him.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The whole premise of how they lost their money is absurd. It really has made watching the show harder and harder this season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Patrick_S said:
The whole premise of how they lost their money is absurd. It really has made watching the show harder and harder this season.
No question about that. The producers' love for the Pelant character does not seem reflected in the show's general fan base.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Monday night had two dramas really setup some serious relationship stuff, and it appears as though Cam's relationship has moved into the "very serious" category, so I'm expecting them to move it into either a marriage or something similar.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
I missed a few episodes and never knew how Hodgins lost his money. If somebody could give me a brief explanation I'd appreciate it.

Certainly must be a major life adjustment from being mega-wealthy to just regular salaried employees, but he and Angela seem to not even care.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks