What's new

Ht-Z320 to my LG Plasma and Fios DVR (1 Viewer)

certified_thief

Auditioning
Real Name
Amit
Dear HT users,
I just moved from my apartment to a new place. Of course, I should have clicked pictures of how the wires go behind my TV but I did not :confused: and now I cannot figure it out. So here is a list of devices that I currently have:
Samsung HT-Z320 HTiB - 1 HDMI out
LG 50PK540 Plasma - 3 HDMI in
Verizon FiOS DVR with 1 hdmi out.
The DVR works perfect with the TV and I'm getting sound on the TV. I also have my Apple TV connected to the HT system via optical sound and an HDMI going from Apple TV to the LG TV for video. The only problem I am having is getting to play sound from the HT while watching cable. Not sure what I'm doing wrong - other than the fact that I hate going behind this kitty cornered BS unit to fix wires.
Can anyone please help?
Thank you :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, you said you have the optical output of your ATV going to the HT. Where is the one on the TV going? You have it connected in the picture.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, how many places do you have this FIOS box connected to? You have HDMI and component vid/toslink both connected. You also have HDMI and composite video connected on the HT. Why?

certified_thief

Auditioning
Real Name
Amit
Hello Sam,
After posting the pictures, I realized that the Toslink from the TV is not required, so I removed it. Also, I removed the component wires from the Fios cable box. Here are the updated pictures. I still don't have sound on the HT. Thank you for your help so far :)

certified_thief

Auditioning
Real Name
Amit
The 3 HDMI wires that are going in the TV are ending in the following destinations:
HDMI 1 - going to the cable box
HDMI 2 - going to APPLE TV
HDMI 3 - going to Fios box

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I recall correctly(and since you've not mentioned it) that LG PK does not support ARC.
So, you still need to connect a toslink from the TV to the Samsung HTiB so you can at least have 2.0 sound from your Apple and FIOS.
If you want 5.1, you need...
1. A real AVR
or
2. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347726144&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical (one that supports 5.1 via the optical. Not all HDMI switches with an optical support 5.1)

certified_thief

Auditioning
Real Name
Amit
Thank you Sam. Here's the thing though, before I moved to this new place everything was working just fine. I would have the system on AUX 2 and get sound from all 5 speakers. I am assuming I have connected some wires wrongly, unless DirectTV dvr supported it and Fios DVR does not carry sound over HDMI. That is the only thing that has changed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, in your "corrected" connections...
You still don't have a toslink from TV to HTiB...
So, you won't get sound from ANYTHING connected...
source --> TV
Into your HTiB...
Unless you connect a toslink...
TV --> HTiB
And you Directv was not 5.1 going this way...
Directv --> TV --> HTiB, because...
Your TV does not support 5.1, except via OTA.
So, the "best you can get" is 2.0 with DPL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also don't understand why you have both HDMI and composite video connected HTiB to TV.
Matter of fact, you also have component HTiB to Component TV...why?
HTiB to TV only needs 1 connection OUT, not three.
Edit, I can't tell (and no I'm not going to download the manual) if that yellow/red/white is all output, or if the yellow is out and red/white are input.
Regardless of what it is, having the yellow out(cause there is no way that is an input) is triple redundant after HDMI and component(which itself is redundant because of HDMI).
Is the red/white UNDER the yellow an input? (it would make sense since there is no reason for the red/white to be an output)
If it is, it isn't even being used as you have it connected INPUT to INPUT.

certified_thief

Auditioning
Real Name
Amit
Hello Sam, that seemed to do the trick. I put the Toslink cable from the TV to the hitb. Thank you soo much for all your help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks