What's new

The iPhone 5 buyers and owners thread! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Preorders go live at 12:01AM Pacific, 3:01 AM eastern tonight.
Will put the top details into this thread later.
But.
Switchers: Verizon has failed you.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint
Ffffffffffffffffffff!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Todd H /t/323729/the-iphone-5-buyers-and-owners-thread#post_3974844
I'm in. Ordering a black 32GB model tomorrow to replace my iPhone 4.
Same here except I might get the 64 GB.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Really sounds like this is Apple's fault and I will be with the legion of Android heads who point and laugh.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/13/verizon-iphone-5-will-not-offer-simultaneous-voice-and-data/
Update: According to The New York Times, it was Apple's choice to prevent Sprint and Verizon phones from using both LTE data and voice on simultaneously. Because the LTE network only supports data and not voice, Apple would have to add a third antenna to the iPhone 5 to allow both LTE data and CDMA voice together.
An Apple spokeswoman told The Times, "It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design."
From the Times:
So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.
Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? It actually already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify its manufacturing process of the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years the 4G LTE network is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary later.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Said screw it and ordered any way. Disappointed but we move on, Away from aT&T.
The Apple Store is still down but my order through the Verizon website is confirmed. It's a complex sign up with the carrier swap and number porting so I'm sure something will be messed up. We'll see.
Gnight!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323729/the-iphone-5-buyers-and-owners-thread#post_3975016
Said screw it and ordered any way. Disappointed but we move on, Away from aT&T.
The Apple Store is still down but my order through the Verizon website is confirmed. It's a complex sign up with the carrier swap and number porting so I'm sure something will be messed up. We'll see.
Gnight!
I could get through Verizon to preorder the phone, but not AT&T nor Apple. I didn't complete the order because I'm happy with AT&T.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Woke up at 6 am and logged in the the Apple Store app. It showed that it would take two weeks to ship. Went online to the AT&T website and ordered. Should be here on the 21st. Ordered a 32 GB black.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Geez, I was finally able to place my preorder this morning and will have it on the 21st.

Crawdaddy

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I forgot to order my dongles, and couldn't get through to the website from here....
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/14/availability-of-apples-lightning-adapters-and-cables-slipping/
Called 1800myapple and they got me squared away, probably will be mid October but at least I'm in the queue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
The mind reels.
I will not be switching to Verizon.
My wife says she doesn't have to have this feature, and if AT&T is lousy at the new house, we can switch.
My sense is vow is better in NOVA than AT&T, and would be better for me since I have some national business travel.
Data and voice I use infrequently on cell...but when I do, it's very helpful. It's the kind of thing where I'm getting an address on the phone and looking it up on the map while talking.
I'm leaning more and more towards upgrading my wife's iPhone maybe in January. Depending on the new lighting adapter, contract pricing, and if we switch carriers, I'll see what to do with my phone.
Gazelle shows $150 pricing on iphone4 now. So I'll get at least a hundred. Not a huge amount, but helpful.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
Data and voice I use infrequently on cell...but when I do, it's very helpful. It's the kind of thing where I'm getting an address on the phone and looking it up on the map while talking.
For me it's usually friends asking what movies we are going to. But.... I usually have my iPad with me now too so it's not an issue. I can cope, but it is disappointing. Not a deal lkiller tho.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been studying the technical drawing of the iPhone 5. It's for a work project.
I think I discovered something interesting. Perhaps it's been discussed already. In looking at the back area of the phone, there is the upper and lower area that is glossy and black on the black phone. White on the white phone. Those areas the drawing notes to avoid metal from obstructing those areas. That's relating to cases of course. From my experience in the design and engineering world on my job, this tells me these areas are for antennas. Metal will block or greatly reduce the signal.
The drawing also notes to not allow metal to come into contact with the metal sides of the phone. This tells me the metal outer surface of the phone may still be doing some antenna duty, but perhaps no longer an antenna like the iPhone 4 and 4s. My guess is Apple doesn't want another death grip issue.
By the way, I decided to not get up at midnight here in California to pre-order the iPhone 5. I ordered it in the morning at 7:00am. So I unfortunately missed the first group and I have to wait 2 weeks. Expected deliver for me is October 5. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will ship it early!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Leaving that … antenna out allows Apple to simplify its manufacturing process … for multiple carriers.
What happened to simplifying the customer experience for multiple carriers? (As much as an iPhone costs and as much as the cellular voice + data plans cost, one would think that providing simultaneous voice + data would be worth a little effort.)
Plus, in the next two years the 4G LTE network is supposed to evolve to support voice calls …
And by then, we'll be on the iPhone 7. So put the extra antenna into the 4G LTE versions of the iPhone 5 and 6, and leave it out of the iPhone 7 …

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
[I said:
customer experience[/I]]
Brenda Raney, a Verizon Wireless spokeswoman, said it was Apple’s decision to design the iPhone 5 so that customers could make voice calls and do Internet activity simultaneously only over Wi-Fi, not over Verizon’s cell network. “The iPhone 5 is designed to allow customers to make voice calls on the Verizon Wireless network and surf the Web on Wi-Fi,” she said in an e-mail. “It was an Apple decision.”

The explanation for this, it turns out, is complicated. The technology in 4G LTE networks does not currently handle voice transmissions; it only does data. So when you place a phone call on a 4G LTE smartphone, it’s actually rolling back to the carrier’s older second- or third-generation network, according to AnandTech, a Web publication that does deep analysis on hardware.

That means when AT&T customers place a phone call and use data on the iPhone 5, both functions will roll back to AT&T’s older network, which can handle them simultaneously. When you place a phone call while using data in an app with a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 5, it will roll back to their older CDMA networks, which are not capable of simultaneously doing calls and data. And that’s why the iPhone 5 on Verizon and Sprint, despite being a 4G LTE device, will still not do both at the same time.

An Apple spokeswoman, Natalie Kerris, put it this way: “iPhone 5 supports simultaneous voice and data on GSM-based 3G and LTE networks. It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design.”
So voice + Data on AT&T LTE is actually voice + data on 3G. And on Verizon, voice falls reverts to CDMA, which can't do simultaneous voice+data. The implication is that a future iteration of LTE chips for phones is required to get this all at once. Or, include duplicate antennas, as Android phones have.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple isn't really in the specs arms race but this is damn impressive if true:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16/iphone-5-benchmarks-appear-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/
From the comments:
Android-Benchmarks.gif

Thinnest, lightest AND fastest with all day battery power? For me that beats with a stick any potential diappointment over "what we didn't get". I've always said it's what you value that you should look for in any tool. And I value performance and elegance over trinkets and new toys. That's just me tho, no disappointment here in what was announced, can't wait to try it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks