• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 02:50 AM

With the release of The Lieutenant and 87th Precinct, 2 excellent series, I was thinking about all of the other fine 1-hour black and white shows that ran for a season or less that there are out there. Leaving out the longer running great B&W series, like The Defenders, Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, etc., there are so many of the hour variety. I compiled a little list, which unfortunately is not so little. Westerns: Gunslinger, Stoney Burke (rumored to be coming), Stagecoach West, The Dakotas, Temple Houston Action-Adventure: Follow The Sun, The Islanders, Bourbon Street Beat, The Alaskans, Hong Kong, The Aquanauts Crime Drama: Asphalt Jungle, Cain's Hundred, The Investigators, Target: The Corrupters, The New Breed, Michael Shayne Reporter: Saints and Sinners, The Reporter, Wire Service Law: For The People, Sam Benedict, Trials of O'Brien Historical: The Great Adventure, Profiles in Courage, The Americans Anthology: Dick Powell Show, Alcoa Premiere, Richard Boone Show Other Genres: Mr. Broadway, Bus Stop, The Rogues, East Side West Side, Five Fingers, Breaking Point, It's A Man's World, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Channing, Long Hot Summer, Convoy So many excellent series which it would be great to see made available some day.

#2 of 53 OFFLINE   John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:04 AM

Nice list! One can only hope that more of these shows will come out on DVD in the near future.

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:35 AM

Isn't Stagecoach West out on DVD already, by TMG?
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:49 AM

A few more: Slattery's People, Mr. Novak, Suspicion, Adventures in Paradise, Outlaws, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, The Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, The Nurses, and more. :) On Edit. ooops, Sam Benedict listed by Neil

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 04:43 AM

I've had the theme to Sam Benedict on a CD since the mid-90s: It would be a kick to finally see the show! (same goes for Mr. Broadway, with a theme by Dave Brubeck)

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,898 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 05:54 AM

I would love to see The Defenders and The Nurses finally being released. Who owns them- CBS/Paramount?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard V 

Isn't Stagecoach West out on DVD already, by TMG?

Don't I wish.  Sadly, no it isn't.  But perhaps in the future.

Gary "there are a lot of fine one hour b/w shows that need to be released" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   jmyers

jmyers

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 06:29 AM

and The Greatest Show on Earth--wasn't that a one hour black and white with Jack Palance produced by Desilu?

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 02:59 PM

and The Greatest Show on Earth--wasn't that a one hour black and white with Jack Palance produced by Desilu?

No, the show was produced in color, although since ABC didn't do color at the time it aired in black and white.

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:00 PM

A few more: Slattery's People, Mr. Novak, Suspicion, Adventures in Paradise, Outlaws, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, The Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, The Nurses, and more. :) On Edit. ooops, Sam Benedict listed by Neil

All, other than Suspicion, ran for more than 1 season so they are for another list.

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:00 PM

I would love to see The Defenders and The Nurses finally being released. Who owns them- CBS/Paramount?

Yes, all of the Brodkin shows are owned by CBS.

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Rogues was released in Germany, under kinwelt; i've got a set here but haven't popped it in yet to see how it measures up, quality and enjoyment wise. At least MeTV has been putting it in regular rotation (although at the rogue-ish hours in the a.m.)...

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 02:16 AM

All, other than Suspicion, ran for more than 1 season so they are for another list.

My bad, I didn't see the proviso of the series lasting only one season.

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 03:02 AM

The Rogues was released in Germany, under kinwelt; i've got a set here but haven't popped it in yet to see how it measures up, quality and enjoyment wise. At least MeTV has been putting it in regular rotation (although at the rogue-ish hours in the a.m.)...

I am very interested as to how that set is. From what I recall, they only put 20 of the 30 episodes on the set. Please post your review after you've checked it out. Speaking of MeTV, unfortunately after the first several months, they began to time compress everything and quite badly.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Ellis 

I've never seen The Nurses, but I've always wanted too. I have a bunch of old TV/Movie magazines from the 60s and there are a bunch of articles on actress Zina Bethune (one of the stars of the show). She was popular when her show was on the air, but I never heard about her since. I was curious to find out what happened to her, so I googled her name, and discovered she died tragically earlier this year! So sad. Hopefully, I'll get to watch the show someday.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 07:42 PM

Profiles in Courage is one I'd enjoy seeing, depending on who has the rights. An opportunity to get the show on DVD is coming next year for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death and, since the show was made as a tribute a year later, why not?
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,078 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 10 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised whenever a one-season series is released on DVD. Yancy Derringer is now available from Timeless, with Mr. Lucky following next week. The Gallant Men is available from Warner Archive.

A couple of others I would like to see are Boots and Saddles and Rough Riders. Michael Shayne has already been mentioned, and it was a well-made series with a number of its scripts based upon the Mike Shayne novels. Unfortunately, NBC scheduled it on Friday night, against The Twilight Zone.

Rich Gallagher

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,898 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 06:22 AM

Now that Warner Bros. is preparing special compilations for its 90th Anniversary (e.g.: the new Superman set with samples of everything from the Fleischer carttons through Kirk Alyn, George Reeves, Dean Cain and Tom Welling as well as the more recent animated shows), it would be a perfect time to do a special compilation set of select episodes from the classic B/W WB detective shows: 77 Sunset Strip Hawaiian Eye Surfside Six Bourbon Street Beat It's a crime that aside from Cheyenne, The Gallant Men, and Maverick, and nothing else from Warner Bros. early years in television. As one of the first of the majors to do so, why is this chapter of its history being swept under the rug?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 11:57 AM

Now that Warner Bros. is preparing special compilations for its 90th Anniversary (e.g.: the new Superman set with samples of everything from the Fleischer carttons through Kirk Alyn, George Reeves, Dean Cain and Tom Welling as well as the more recent animated shows), it would be a perfect time to do a special compilation set of select episodes from the classic B/W WB detective shows: 77 Sunset Strip Hawaiian Eye Surfside Six Bourbon Street Beat It's a crime that aside from Cheyenne, The Gallant Men, and Maverick, and nothing else from Warner Bros. early years in television. As one of the first of the majors to do so, why is this chapter of its history being swept under the rug?

My guess would be that all of the detective shows are a music clearance nightmare. Hawaiian Eye had Connie Stevens singing at least one song, sometimes more, in every episode. All either have to be cleared or cut. Roaring 20s and The Alaskans both have Dorothy Provine singing. Not as familiar with Sunset Strip, Surfside and Bourbon Street but I'm pretty sure that they all have nightclub scenes in the majority of episodes as well. If I had to guess, I would bet that you would see Lawman, Bronco, Sugarfoot and Colt .45 before you ever see the detective series.

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 12:00 PM

Profiles in Courage is one I'd enjoy seeing, depending on who has the rights. An opportunity to get the show on DVD is coming next year for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death and, since the show was made as a tribute a year later, why not?

I had investigated that one and spoke with the son of Robert Saudek a few times about it but he just didn't sound like he was very interested in pursuing a release. Might be worth another phone call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users