Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fringe Season 5

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 08:39 AM

Official story details for the Fringe Season 5 Premiere Episode It has begun! Here are the Official story details for the Fringe Season 5 Premiere airing Friday, September 28th. Details hidden to protect those that are spoiler adverse.
Spoiler
BTW if you are partial to podcasts, I do one for Fringe over at FringeTV - you can find them here - http://tinyurl.com/4fsnrwr Four of us get together for a coffee break round table style discussion of each episode. We will be continuing them in Season 5.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#2 of 161 ONLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,732 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 11:53 AM

I love FRINGE. Can't wait for the new episodes!
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#3 of 161 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 12 2012 - 12:08 PM

So exciting! A perfect Friday night show. I think these might have been posted in the Season 4 thread, but just in case, Observer Public Service Announcements:

#4 of 161 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 02:35 AM

I like the "End The Oppression" and "Take Back America!" messages hidden within the Observers PSA's.  Man I love Fringe.

#5 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 09:20 AM

Promotional pics for episode 1 over at GMMRTV The first 6 are not too bad but the last one is very spoilery.

#6 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 07:31 AM

As he is wont to do on Fridays, Joel Wyman usually hops onto Twitter and sends some tidbits of info out to the fans. This time he tweeted a couple of pics:
Picture 1 Picture 2 Picture 3 2 more weeks!!!!!!!

#7 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 09:48 AM

#8 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 03:21 AM

Peter Bishop Fugitive!

#9 of 161 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 255 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:56 AM

Please don't shoot me. I love "Fringe". I have always liked the role of the Observers. However, I did not particularly enjoy the episode last season where they were running things in the future. I am not sure how much I look forward to the entire final season being based on this. Perhaps I am missing something. Oh, I will watch for sure, because I love the characters and most of the story. (And, maybe I just don't "get it", or, I am severely jet-lagged from so many shows jumping forward in time!)

#10 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hey no problem Jeff. Who knows, maybe the show will finish up back in 'our' time? :)

#11 of 161 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 27 2012 - 12:54 PM

There's a really nice interview with showrunner J.H. Wyman over at TV Line. You really get a feel for how emotionally invested he is in telling this story. The focus seems to be on resolving the characters' stories, rather than breaking a lot of new ground with mindbending science fiction, and that's exactly what I'm looking for as a viewer. I've invested four years with these characters. I want to see how they end up.

#12 of 161 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 28 2012 - 02:03 PM

That scene with Walter in the ruined taxi cab at the end is the reason I watch this show. Just beautiful.

#13 of 161 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 28 2012 - 02:32 PM

Looks like a cat and mouse final season, and that's OK. I did enjoy the season premiere very much, and I got teary-eyed when Olivia saw her daughter.

#14 of 161 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 28 2012 - 04:51 PM

The reveal of the observers being baddies was jarring, but I'm slowly accepting it knowing September was an anomaly among his people, a scientist who got too involved with his subjects. We didn't know much else about them outside of what he showed us, so I can reasonably say we made some assumptions there.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#15 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 06:11 AM

Fringe reinvents itself every season and continues to grow the characters and deepen their bonds. That's what I love about this show. It doesn't stand pat. It pushes the boundaries of what a serialized TV show can do. Which, to me, is what the best SF based material does too. The bookend shots of the blooming dandelion and the flowering dandelion on scorched earth was a nice touch - and loved the Only You song played at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yod7jc8U94# Eggsticks! Yuck!!! The reunion scenes between Peter,Olivia, & Etta were great. Also enjoying the switch away from the case of the week. The focus switch this season means that every week what ever happens directly affects the characters as opposed to a COTW which parallels them. Excellent! And having Eddie the Bookstore Owner fawning over the ambered Olivia was a true extension of their one-sided flirting from the previous season. Have no problems with the Observers being painted as the bad guys nor do I find the shift jarring. Surprising? Yes. Cliche? Definitely not. Beyond a bit of necessary expository setup for this season, Season 5 has gotten off to an excellent start. Can't wait to see where this is going and how the season, and series, will finish.

#16 of 161 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 29 2012 - 06:35 AM

Also enjoying the switch away from the case of the week. The focus switch this season means that every week what ever happens directly affects the characters as opposed to a COTW which parallels them. Excellent!

John Noble told Entertainment Weekly (very minor spoilers): [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]“I think the fascinating thing about this season as it goes forward is that Walter has set this up by planting a series of clues. It’s like a treasure hunt in a way,” says Noble. “And the genius thing that the writers have done this year — because we didn’t want to do monsters of the week — is that we have to chase a clue [per] week. So that creates the internal story of each week because we go after these bizarre clues in really strange places. Walter being Walter, he’s hidden them in weird, weird, weird places.” So it sounds like Walter and September prepared for the possibility that Walter's memories would be wiped, and hid the pieces elsewhere throughout New York City. I really like that because it ties in nicely with the show's theme that the past always comes back to haunt us. Only this time, it's in a good way instead of a bad way. Just as Walter in the first couple seasons was forever reassembling the pieces of his life that he'd scattered before being institutionalized, now they're reassembling the pieces of his plan to save the world, with the time in amber taking the place of the time in the mental hospital.[/SPOILER]

#17 of 161 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Adam. Great interview.

#18 of 161 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 01:57 PM

Is it just me, or would it have been helpful for the recap to be another minute or two before jumping into the premiere? I realize there's a lot of out there stuff that happened in the previous few seasons so it'd be hard to recap everything, but going back to this after so long it was a little hard to keep any of the details straight. A decent premiere I guess, but I have to admit it's a little difficult for me to have any attachment to the third or fourth iteration of the same characters. I mean, do I really care if Olivia is gone if it isn't really 'our' Olivia that we've watched for 4 years? I don't know... maybe I'll rewatch the last couple episodes from last season at some point before watching next week's episode and see if that helps me enjoy it any better. I really hope this big endgame plan that they're building up to isn't just something as obvious as them building a time machine to come back to the present though.

#19 of 161 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 29 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Adam. Great interview.

Happy to do it, after all of the great "Fringe" stuff you've shared!

I have to admit it's a little difficult for me to have any attachment to the third or fourth iteration of the same characters. I mean, do I really care if Olivia is gone if it isn't really 'our' Olivia that we've watched for 4 years?

Peter has been "our" Peter from the beginning of the series to now. He's about the only one. Olivia is "our" Olivia, in the sense that she acquired "our" Olivia's memories. I do wish they'd have found a way to make Walter and Astrid "our" Walter and Astrid. There was a lot lost there.

#20 of 161 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 07:29 PM

I don't see them going back in time as it wouldn't defeat the Observers.

September had a plan. He has looked at the futures and in every one Olivia had to "die". But... he never verbalized what happens after that. His end game was to save humanity from what he knew was coming. He has gone through a lot of trouble based on what he knows to make that happen. We don't know the course yet, but that's what I expect to see.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users