What's new

CBS Sunday Night TV Viewers.... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Guess this is probably really good for fans of "The Amazing Race", at least on the east or eastern coasts..
http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=32878
Jay

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jay H said:
Guess this is probably really good for fans of "The Amazing Race", at least on the east or eastern coasts..
http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=32878
Jay
Well it's a start, at least they're trying for once.
I live on the west coast, but I've gotten into the habit of adding 30 or 60 minutes to network shows on game nights, but even that much doesn't always work. I DVR everything, don't think I've watched a "live" show in years.
Messed up a bit the past few weeks with all the political stuff so lost a few things, but will be paying much more attention in the coming months.
It's about time the networks address this problem. If you're a football fan, no problem. But the rest of us are left with partial recordings of great shows like "The Amazing Race" and "The Good Wife".
Funny thing is I used to be a huge football fanatic, but things change throughout your life, haven't watched a game in about four years now and don't miss it at all.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Good news. We've been complaining about this for years. I have to set up Amazing Race to record for an extra hour because of the NFL games.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got nailed by this past Sunday's overrun when my DVR'd Big Brother recording cut off at about 40 minutes into the episode. Why don't they start the 30 minute padding now?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I got nailed by this past Sunday's overrun when my DVR'd Big Brother recording cut off at about 40 minutes into the episode. Why don't they start the 30 minute padding now?
I got caught by that over run also, but luckily was recording whatever came after Big Brother, so lost that show instead.
Still very annoying. Hopefully what the networks are doing will help in the future to avoid these situations.
To bad the situation isn't reversed and they chop off the end of a game instead, bet they'd hear plenty of bitching about that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stan said:
To bad the situation isn't reversed and they chop off the end of a game instead, bet they'd hear plenty of bitching about that.
Pretty likely since the football audience is usually 2 to 4 times larger than any network show. It's in the network's interest to keep the larger audience happy.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Shouldthis thread be in the TX section?
Stan said:
Well it's basic economics, the NFL audience and the money it generates for the networks far out paces that of their primetime shows so they are doing the right thing.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
Shouldthis thread be in the TX section?
Well it's basic economics, the NFL audience and the money it generates for the networks far out paces that of their primetime shows so they are doing the right thing.
It's understandable that football pulls in a lot more of an audience, I wasn't really being serious.
But when it's almost a guarantee the game will run over, why not plan ahead and show a rerun of something, don't interrupt brand new programming, particularly with the reality shows which don't get repeated. Although more and more, lots of stuff is available from the network web sites, but I'd rather watch a show on my TV than on a 15" laptop.
At least with a DVR you can add extra time to the recording and hopefully not miss anything. Thankfully for the most part they also show the entire episode, not the dreaded "we join this show already in progress" like they used to do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323666/cbs-sunday-night-tv-viewers#post_3974210
At least with a DVR you can add extra time to the recording and hopefully not miss anything. Thankfully for the most part they also show the entire episode, not the dreaded "we join this show already in progress" like they used to do.

I try not to bitch too much about this because for those of us with DVRs, they can be programmed to go well past the scheduled times and for many shows (but not all, The Mentalist now on Sunday night is a prime example) there is always On Demand which is a very convenient fall back device when all else fails.

And, oh boy, do I agree about not starting shows "already in progress." Just skip the episode and show it the following week rather than EVER doing that again.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
simple solution. Remove a show from the Sunday lineup like Fox did years ago. Why does Sunday prime time have to start an hour earlier than the rest of the week? With the new start times in the NFL this year, games will be running past this new half hour mark anyway. Instead of the show starting an hour or more late, it will be 30 minutes or more late.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Well it's a start, at least they're trying for once.
I agree. It won't solve the problem, but anything that helps mitigate the issue is a good thing.
Mark_B said:
simple solution. Remove a show from the Sunday lineup like Fox did years ago. Why does Sunday prime time have to start an hour earlier than the rest of the week? With the new start times in the NFL this year, games will be running past this new half hour mark anyway. Instead of the show starting an hour or more late, it will be 30 minutes or more late.
I've been thinking this for years: Start "60 Minutes" at 8 PM, and have a post game show that expands or shrinks to fill the time up through 8 PM as necessary.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
What about the two-hour rerun block CBS has on Saturdays? Would shows that miss their regularly scheduled times, because of Sunday football, be more likely to be rerun on Saturdays?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Typically the networks put on reruns of new shows they are hoping to cultivate a following in that dead TV night slot known as Saturday night programming (if they aren't showing college football in that night-time slot).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Typically the networks put on reruns of new shows they are hoping to cultivate a following in that dead TV night slot known as Saturday night programming (if they aren't showing college football in that night-time slot).
I think that Saturday night slot is a great idea. I've caught many shows that I missed earlier in the week because of it. One of their better ideas to use up a "dead TV night slot" and keep those of who might have missed something coming back.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saturday night is only a dead slot because the networks don't program anything worth watching. Saturday night used to be one of the highest rated TV nights. Hit shows such as All in the Family, The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show all aired original episodes on Saturdays.
If the networks were to schedule original eps of shows like Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, and American Idol on Saturdays, I seriously doubt they'd all crash and burn.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have plenty of horror stories about Sunday nights and football. Unfortunately a half-hour wasn't always enough to 'pad' out a show. There were plenty of episodes of Without A Trace where I never knew if they found the person :(
As for the 'joined in progress', I remember when Malcolm In The Middle and King Of The Hill were on Sundays. I think there are some episodes I've never seen in their entirety.
The other problem with DVR'ing and trying to 'pad' episodes is that many DVR's have limits to how many shows they can record at a given time. By adding additional time to a show, it throws it into the next time-slot, which might already be 'full'
I think there should be some type of rule that any show not run in its scheduled time-slot (whether it be sports or news or political related), has to be made available - whether on Saturday or On-Demand (or even on the network's website).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks