Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector vs Mitsubishi WD-92840 92″ - Which will deliver the best bang for the buck?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   gare

gare

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and would like to either install a projector or large TV in my living room. I will be using in-ceiling speakers. I'm looking at one of the two options: 1) Projector and Screen: DA-LITE - IMAGER 92" FIXED PROJECTOR SCREEN and EPSON - POWERLITE HOME CINEMA 8350 PROJECTOR (Total Cost: $2,300) 2) TV: Mitsubishi WD-92840 92″ (Cost $2,600) I'm not an audio or video geek by any means. I'm simply looking for a nice display that I can watch movies, sports and TV on. I do have a preference for something that will allow me to watch TV without closing all the shades. I have windows that line one of the walls. Normally I'd be put-off by the width of the TV but since I'm building a cabinet that will house either the TV or projection screen -- the 26" width doesn't bother me. As you can see, the cost is about the same. Thoughts on which you think would be better? Thanks in advance! -Gary P.S. I live in MN and haven't found any local stores that have the Mitisubishi on display. If you know of a place that has a store display in the Midwest, let me know. I'm willing to travel to check it out.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,758 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 09 2012 - 12:00 PM

Best Buy/Magnolia "should" have the DLP on display. Every BB/M I've been in has had one... But... If this is not going to be a "light controlled" situation... Mits DLP wins the argument. (now if you triple your budget on the projector and pick a higher end Panny/Mits/JVC/Sony, different story. But asking a "similar cost" projector to compete against DLP isn't a fair argument) As a side note...I hope your front three speakers aren't going in the ceiling, as that would be a crucial nightmare.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   gare

gare

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. In regards to the speakers... yes, I was thinking of using five SPEAKERCRAFT - AIM7 TWO 7" in-ceiling speakers. Will I really be that disappointed? What do you recommend instead?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,758 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 09 2012 - 02:43 PM

Anything but ceiling for the front three. The center should be with the TV, above or below it. The L/R should be along the front wall with the tweeters "in the same plane" as the center speaker.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,712 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted September 09 2012 - 03:22 PM

I agree that a TV is for you. Is that TV the one that has multiple speakers built in the front panel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users