What's new

Projector vs Mitsubishi WD-92840 92″ - Which will deliver the best bang for the buck? (1 Viewer)

gare

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Elfert
Hi. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and would like to either install a projector or large TV in my living room. I will be using in-ceiling speakers. I'm looking at one of the two options:
1) Projector and Screen: DA-LITE - IMAGER 92" FIXED PROJECTOR SCREEN and EPSON - POWERLITE HOME CINEMA 8350 PROJECTOR (Total Cost: $2,300)
2) TV: Mitsubishi WD-92840 92″ (Cost $2,600)
I'm not an audio or video geek by any means. I'm simply looking for a nice display that I can watch movies, sports and TV on. I do have a preference for something that will allow me to watch TV without closing all the shades. I have windows that line one of the walls.
Normally I'd be put-off by the width of the TV but since I'm building a cabinet that will house either the TV or projection screen -- the 26" width doesn't bother me.
As you can see, the cost is about the same. Thoughts on which you think would be better?
Thanks in advance!
-Gary
P.S. I live in MN and haven't found any local stores that have the Mitisubishi on display. If you know of a place that has a store display in the Midwest, let me know. I'm willing to travel to check it out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Best Buy/Magnolia "should" have the DLP on display. Every BB/M I've been in has had one...
But...
If this is not going to be a "light controlled" situation...
Mits DLP wins the argument. (now if you triple your budget on the projector and pick a higher end Panny/Mits/JVC/Sony, different story. But asking a "similar cost" projector to compete against DLP isn't a fair argument)
As a side note...I hope your front three speakers aren't going in the ceiling, as that would be a crucial nightmare.

gare

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Elfert
Thanks for your thoughts.
In regards to the speakers... yes, I was thinking of using five SPEAKERCRAFT - AIM7 TWO 7" in-ceiling speakers. Will I really be that disappointed? What do you recommend instead?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anything but ceiling for the front three. The center should be with the TV, above or below it.
The L/R should be along the front wall with the tweeters "in the same plane" as the center speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks