-

Photo

Tutorial: Moving from the iPhone to Android without totally destroying the Apple Ecosystem

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 06:24 AM

For those of you looking to switch from the iPhone to the Galaxy S3, don't be intimidated that you will lose the ecosystem you had in place with your other Apple devices.   That was the biggest fear I had a week ago until I learned all the workarounds that would make my Galaxy S3 sync perfectly with my Apple devices.   I'm still new at all this, so I am here as a student with all of you.  I'll start this thread, but I will rely on others here to give their tips as well as correct any mistakes I may have made on the advice I am giving all of you.   I will mention the Galaxy S3 specifically in this tutorial, but it works for most all Android devices.   Syncing your Apple Mail   I am guessing everyone has an iCloud email account.  On the Galaxy S3, GMAIL is the standard email client, but it can easily be set up as an iMap account to perfectly sync your email.  Yes, when you delete mail on your phone it also deletes it on all your Apple devices.  Even your Apple email subfolders get carried over as well.   Here are the instructions on setting up an iCloud iMap account on GMAIL:     Verify that you are using the correct server credentials:   IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:   Server name: imap.mail.me.com SSL Required: Yes Port: 993 Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account) Password: Your iCloud password     SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:   Server name: smtp.mail.me.com SSL Required: Yes Port: 587 SMTP Authentication Required: Yes Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account) Password: Your iCloud password   Note: If you receive errors using SSL, try using TLS instead.   Additional Information SSL is required for both IMAP and SMTP connection with iCloud. POP is not supported by iCloud.   This is a great tutorial on how to sync your contacts and calendars to your Galaxy S3.  Once done, whatever you add to one device is added across the board to all your devices.     Moving Music and Photos to your Android device from a Mac     There are many methods to pulling photos and music off your Mac to your Android device.  You could pay money for specific software that claims to do it easily.  These softwares include Syncmate, Salling, The Missing Sync and Easy Phone Tunes.  There is nothing wrong paying for these softwares.  The only problem is, the free versions I tried either had a hard time recognizing my Galaxy S3 (since it’s a newly released device) or crashed a few times on my iMac.   Actually, the cheaper and free programs I found work just as well.     Transferring iTunes Playlists via iSyncr   Perhaps not the most polished program, but for a mere $2.99 I highly recommend a program called iSyncr.     Directions:   1. Go to the Google Play Store and buy iSyncr for Mac 2. Once you open it on your GS3, it will ask for your email and then send you a link to the desktop software. 3. Download and install desktop software. 4. When you plug the USB cable into your GS3, go to the pulldown notification center where it says USB CONNECTED.  Click on that and make sure it is CONNECTED AS MEDIA DEVICE MTP  (rather than connected as camera). 5. Go to Applications folder in your Mac and and open iSyncr.  An icon will be placed on your top toolbar.  If your phone is plugged in and you see the icon, you will see something like: GT P7310 as the connected device.  Click on that.   iSyncr will scan your iTunes you can import whatever playlists you would like.   Please note that if you rip CDs in iTunes they are mostly stored as .m4a files.  The standard music player on Android will not recognize that file format.  However, you can download a free app called JetAudio Basic which will perfectly read those songs.  

Transferring files from Mac to Android using Android File Transfer
  A free program that works?  You will like Android File Transfer.   1. Download and install it on your Mac. 2. When you plug the USB cable into your GS3, go to the pulldown Notifications and find the USB CONNECTED notification.  Put it in CAMERA (PTP) mode. 3. If all works well, a file finder window should appear on your desktop allowing you to transfer files such as photos.   Please be aware I have not tried to transfer files, due to time constraint.  I just saw it was working.  So, I can't guarantee you will be able to transfer out all your photos, but it seems reasonable you can.     Transferring files and music manually with an external SD Micro Card   This involves a bit more work than the paid software options, but it's actually quite simple and it won't cost you a dime to do.   I would suggest taking advantage of the fact that your GS3 supports an internal memory card and invest in a microSD card.  You can use that card to easily transfer photos and music from your Mac to your Android device.  Moving music is a bit more cumbersome and it does not preserve playlists (though you can create your own through the tutorial below).  
For this method you will need a Micro SD card w/adapter (most cards come with it). If your Mac does not have a card reader slot built into it (newer Macbooks and iMacs do) you will need to purchase a SD a SD to USB reader (usually about $6)   First, let's format the card.   1. Put the SD card into the USB adapter   2. Go into your Mac Finder.  Go to Applications.  Go to Utilities Folder 3. Open Disk Utility   On the left pane you will see an icon for your SD drive.  It should say something like "xx.GB GB Generic Storage."  Click once to highlight   On the right pane go to the ERASE tab. Under format: MS-DOS Fat Name: (Your Name) SD CARD (or whatever you want, or just leave blank). Click on ERASE   The card will format.  Will take only a few minutes.   Okay, here is the fun part....   On your desktop your SD card should be showing up as an icon once plugged in.  Click on it to open it in finder.     You are now in the root of your SD card.  Create a new folder called MUSIC (right click -> new folder)   Now go into that MUSIC folder and create new folders for all your playlists (right click -> new folder)  For example, one for THE BEATLES, another for  KATY PERRY, another TRAIN.   Open up your  iTunes software.   You can drag all your songs directly from the iTunes interface into those folders.   For example, go into your BEATLES playlist and drag all your Beatles songs into the folder on your SD card called THE BEATLES.  All your TRAIN songs from the iTunes playlist into TRAIN folder on your SD card.   Just drag, drag, drag songs.  It will be so quick and easy.   You can move hundreds of songs within 10 minutes just by dragging from iTunes software interface into the folders.  Your original songs will not be affected.   Please note that I am hearing that any songs you bought through iTunes cannot be copied.  If anyone finds a workaround please let me know.   Now...   Please note that if you rip CDs in iTunes they are mostly stored as .m4a files.  The standard music player on Android will not recognize that file format.  However, you can download a free app called JetAudio Basic which will perfectly read those songs.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 92 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,074 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 09 2012 - 10:26 AM

Good stuff. We"ll probably,y stick with AT&T since we have the unlimited plan as I'm guessing that will Switch over to the new phone since it has before.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 92 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,837 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thanks, Ron.

One question though.  How is the turn-by-turn GPS on it now?  Haven't checked on the Google Nav scene in some time.  I assume you can't share your TomTom app purchase on iOS w/ Android, or am I incorrect on that?

Cheers!

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 06:52 AM

Have not tried the GPS yet.

Perhaps I will today on the way to the AT&T store to buy accessories.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 07:12 AM

Man, the turn by turn is excellent as always. Also, they updated the voice so it doesn't sound as Robotic as it used to.

Was there some specific feature you found lacking?

#6 of 92 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,837 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 11:18 AM

Oh, I haven't been able to try it at all yet.  Wondering if there's anything new w/ that, including how well the map caching works now.  Would be preferable if one could cache an entire route w/ a fair amount of detail and surrounding map data (in case you take a wrong turn or something) before starting the trip for instance.

I wonder though how the Moto Droid Razr Maxxx HD will do in terms of battery life (among other things) and whether that's worth the wait...

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#7 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 05:10 AM

First, I want to promote something I found on another site.

Some cool "tips" for new owners of the Galaxy S3

Getting Smarter About My Smartphone

I briefly tried the Turn-By-Turn Maps/Navigation today.

Worked very well. The voice sounded anything but robotic

which I thought was nice.  Kind of wish there was a "ding"

at the point of making a turn, but the voice does chime in

and tell you at the exact moment when to do so.

Here is a great tip....and I mean GREAT tip.

Open up Chrome on your desktop.  Install the extension

CHROME TO PHONE (do a Google Search for it).  Also

install GOOGLE CHROME TO PHONE from the Play store

on your Android device.

Once done, you can go to Google Maps on your desktop,

plan a route, and then have it transmitted to your phone where

MAPS/NAVIGATION will immediately load it.

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 13 2012 - 05:45 AM

Ron, that tip is amazeballs. I did not know about it.

#9 of 92 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,556 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 13 2012 - 03:24 PM

First, I want to promote something I found on another site. Some cool "tips" for new owners of the Galaxy S3 Getting Smarter About My Smartphone I briefly tried the Turn-By-Turn Maps/Navigation today. Worked very well. The voice sounded anything but robotic which I thought was nice.  Kind of wish there was a "ding" at the point of making a turn, but the voice does chime in and tell you at the exact moment when to do so. Here is a great tip....and I mean GREAT tip. Open up Chrome on your desktop.  Install the extension CHROME TO PHONE (do a Google Search for it).  Also install GOOGLE CHROME TO PHONE from the Play store on your Android device. Once done, you can go to Google Maps on your desktop, plan a route, and then have it transmitted to your phone where MAPS/NAVIGATION will immediately load it.

Not an Android user, but that is a neat tip.

#10 of 92 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,837 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 07:21 AM

But why bother w/ that though?  I thought you're supposed to be able to tell Google Nav on your phone directly by voice where you want to go... and then, off you go. Posted Image  IIRC, that was what they started touting anyway a year or so ago...

Guess I'll need to go do a bit of digging on my own to see how far Google Nav has come along since last I checked...

_Man_

#11 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 07:29 AM

Quote:

But why bother w/ that though?  I thought you're supposed to be able to tell Google Nav on your phone directly by voice where you want to go... and then, off you go. Posted Image  IIRC, that was what they started touting anyway a year or so ago...

Well, that's fine if you want Google to route it the way it wants to.   What if you want it to route another way?

Perfect example:  I am taking a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles next month.  Google maps it out using the major inland highway.  I want to use the Pacific Coastal Highway.   So, I map it out on my desktop and then send it directly to the phone with the exact route I want.

Ronald J Epstein

#12 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 07:45 AM

Man, it's also a matter of, let's say you've just made reservations for a hotel or restaurant, etc at your desk, and all the map directions are right there. Rather than have to re-input them back into your phone, you can shoot them over with Chrome to Phone.

#13 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 08:44 AM

The only caveat to all this is....

I mapped a specific route on my computer desktop

from home to work.

It absolutely transmitted from desktop to phone.

However, upon execution of the route, Google Navigation

changed what I had mapped out to something it felt was

faster.

So, in the end, without doing more trials on this, I am

uncertain how reliable Chrome To Phone really is.

Ronald J Epstein

#14 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 09:02 AM

It sounds like it just sends the endpoints, not the entire route information.

#15 of 92 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,074 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 04:23 AM

So I figured out how to move a file off the mb air using wifi but haven't figured out how to get the air to just see the PHONE when its connected. google it I guess.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 05:18 AM

I think there's typo in your post, but I think this free app should help you out:

AirDroid

#17 of 92 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,074 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 06:01 AM

:D Thanks. I'll try that.
facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 92 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,074 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 04:44 PM

I was able to get a ton of music using airdroid but since I only have a 16g phone G3 I only put about 9g of music in it So now I need an sd card. I'm probably going to buy the Amazon thing for $25 but I would also like To add an sd card anyway. Any recommendations on one of those? I'm assuming I can go as high as 64 but 32g would Probably do just as we'll, oh and what should a reasonable price be for a card? Can't see any way to change ringtones for text messages to something other then those crappy midi like tones. Is there a way to do that? My wife was trying to save pics sent to her in texts but neither of us could figure that one out. I also can't figure out how to send a playlist just like they do in the commercial. We touch the phones, hear the beep but nothing else happens. We can send pics that way but nothing else.
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 92 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted September 22 2012 - 11:46 PM

Quote:
I'm probably going to buy the Amazon thing for $25 but I would also like
To add an sd card anyway. Any recommendations on one of those?

Tony,

If you don't have time to price shop, Amazon usually has comparable prices.

I went with the SanDisk Micro SD Card.  Not sure why there is a million different

varieties of the same card to choose from.

If you are not in a hurry for the card, Amazon has periodic 1/2 price sales on
memory.  Unfortunately, I was too much in a hurry to wait.

If and when Amazon has their next sale, I will make a point to announce it here.

Quote:
Can't see any way to change ringtones for text messages to something other then those crappy midi like tones.
Is there a way to do that?

Yes.

Download an app from the Google Play Store called Zedge

That app has a wide variety of excellent ringtones.

Go to your messages app.  Click on the bottom left menu button and go into SETTINGS.

Scroll down to NOTIFICATIONS and make certain that is checked.  The option

beneath that is SELECT RINGTONE.  Pressing that brings up a box that asks how

to complete action.  Pick ZEDGE RINGTONES.  Now simply pick your ringtone.
If you upload your own ringtone you can simply direct yourself to the directory that

you uploaded your custom ringtone to.

Quote:
My wife was trying to save pics sent to her in texts but neither of us could figure that one out.

It's a simple long press, just like the iPhone.

In case I'm wrong, let me refer you to this tutorial.

Quote:
I also can't figure out how to send a playlist just like they do in the commercial.

Have not done this yet, but I have seen something in the menu regarding turning

the function on.

Pull down your notification screen.

Click on the Settings Gear

Under DATA USAGE click on MORE SETTINGS

Click on ANDROID BEAM or S BEAM.  Not certain

what the difference between the two are.  You will have

to read the description when you click on the function.

Maybe you have already done this and are not getting

the results you desire.  Let us know what is happening

as sooner or later I may use this function.

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 92 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted September 23 2012 - 12:56 AM

To save an attached picture in sms, long press tap attachment, then check one or all of the attachments and tap save. Go to your gallery app and browse for the pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users