Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Crossing Guard & The Human Stain -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,609 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 06:18 AM

Another Miramax double bill from Echo Bridge is only successful because of its $13 price tag on line, as only one of the film is viewable with any quality.

Let's make believe that The Human Stain isn't involved, as it's far below standards on this Blu-ray.

The Crossing Guard, directed by Sean Penn, is fortunately a viable viewing experience.  The film is a quality exercise in what on the surface may seem to be something in the "revenge" genre.  But it isn't.  There's more to it than that, and Mr. Penn does a interesting job at the helm.

Image is fine, with good data throughput, fine color and densities.  The images appears to be derived from an IP, which is a budget saver, without losing much in terms of quality.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended, but only for those who have no interest in The Human Stain, which is a worthy film.

This is a pity, as it seems to knock the bottom out of the double bill concept.  I also wonder how Echo Bridge might account to participants, especially if an A picture is double-billed with a B picture owned by different entities.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 21 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm just now watching "The Crossing Guard" on Blu-ray. For those who care, Echo Bridge has downmixed the sound to MONO! The movie was released theatrically in Dolby Digital 5.1 as was the Miramax DVD. Stereo 2.0 I could have lived with, but mono? That's inexcusable.

Edited by Mark-P, August 21 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 03:29 AM

Why these older films directed by Penn are treated this way? The Indian Runner is a masterpiece, The Crossing Guard is a solid drama (same thing with The Pledge). And with those films you could still see "the old Jack Nicholson", not the comedy-drama-over-the-top-Jack that he's today.

Criterion could do these films justice. I can dream, can I?

Edited by Jari K, August 22 2013 - 03:36 AM.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted August 22 2013 - 07:38 AM

Recommended, but only for those who have no interest in The Human Stain, which is a worthy film.

You think a lot more highly of The Human Stain than I do. Much like The Bonfire of the Vanities, it's a movie that, through absurdly wrong-headed casting, seems to completely miss the point of the book it's based on.

The DVD looked like garbage back in the day, smothered in heavy DNR and edge enhancement. From your cursory dismissal, I assume that the Blu-ray is sourced from the same old master.

Edited by JoshZ, August 22 2013 - 07:45 AM.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 09:27 AM

Though I haven't watched this disc yet, I really can't complain because I picked it up at BestBuy on Tuesday for $3.99.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users