Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

Titanic 3D Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 of 93 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 07:51 PM

Caps-a-holic has a 1.78 to 2.35 comparison

Call me a troll, call me a heretic. Burn me at the stake, but from those Caps-a-holic caps I think I prefer the composition of the 1.78:1 frame to the 2.35:1. I'll have to see the movie properly to be sure, and whaddaya know, it's in the mail.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#42 of 93 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 01:34 AM

The Imax version on 15/70 was not 2.35.1 is was opened up, the 3D Digital was 2.35.1 in Liemax.

#43 of 93 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,119 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 09 2012 - 04:15 AM

All IMAX presentations of Titanic were shown 1:78.1 whether 15/70 or digital.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#44 of 93 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,136 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 10:34 AM

Just started watching it so nothing of real substance to say that hasn't been covered in the review. One observation I wanted to make, and it concerns the subtitles, is the size of the subtitles. I think most people now have rather large screens (as compared to the old 27" and 35" we had in the 90s) and I didn't realize until I watched Titanic's BD subs that standard BD subtitle font size is rather large and takes up a ton of screen real estate. Titanic's subs are considerably smaller. Still very legible to me (60" screen from 11 feet away). But doesn't disturb the picture much. Using my Oppo to move it down to the black bars gives me the best of both worlds: subs that fit mostly in the bar disturbing less of the picture. :tu::tu:

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#45 of 93 OFFLINE   Bruxism

Bruxism

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the review Neil. Since I missed this in theatres I had better start saving for a 3D TV!

#46 of 93 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,410 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 03:39 PM

So, there used to be a member on this board that constantly would post things like "Upconverted 2D is no good" and "Anything upconverted is not real 3D."   Well, I wonder what that person would be saying after watching this 3D Blu-ray release of TITANIC.   I just finished my viewing, and I am still stunned by what I had seen.   Titanic was never particularly a favorite film of mine, but I couldn't help but be reawakened to this film through it's 3D beauty.  The level of depth is outstanding.   This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched.  In fact,  it is among the best 3D films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#47 of 93 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,242 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 10 2012 - 03:59 PM

^ I think that's going to be alot of people's reaction to the conversion. Based on the 3-D trailer, I had pretty high hopes but I still had reservations. When I finally saw the movie, I was really amazed by how well it managed to translate to 3-D. And as a fan of the actual ship, seeing things like the Grand Staircase in 3-D was even more amazing than it was in 2-D.

#48 of 93 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 06:51 PM

It certainly helps that Cameron supervised the conversion. Many may not realize this, but there were a lot of scenes in "Avatar" that were converted as well.
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#49 of 93 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:07 PM

It certainly helps that Cameron supervised the conversion. .
The 18 million spent on 2-D to 3-D conversion costs and over a year's worth of work helped too. :D It is safe to say other conversions do not get that kind of TLC..

#50 of 93 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:25 PM

So, there used to be a member on this board that constantly would post things like "Upconverted 2D is no good" and "Anything upconverted is not real 3D." Well, I wonder what that person would be saying after watching this 3D Blu-ray release of TITANIC. I just finished my viewing, and I am still stunned by what I had seen. Titanic was never particularly a favorite film of mine, but I couldn't help but be reawakened to this film through it's 3D beauty.  The level of depth is outstanding. This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched.  In fact,  it is among the best 3D films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.
I'm happy to hear this, because my copy is on the way. BUT: When I saw this film in 3D in theatres, it struck me as a bit 'planar'... like, the characters looked kind of like 2D cutouts standing in 3-dimensional space, like a pop-up book. Not so on the blu? I recall similar things with The Phantom Menace. Fears unfounded? Thoughts?

#51 of 93 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijthompson /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3973178 I'm happy to hear this, because my copy is on the way. BUT: When I saw this film in 3D in theatres, it struck me as a bit 'planar'... like, the characters looked kind of like 2D cutouts standing in 3-dimensional space, like a pop-up book. Not so on the blu? I recall similar things with The Phantom Menace. Fears unfounded? Thoughts?
  TPM has maddeningly subpar.  With George Lucas behind this and what could have been done with the movie, I was left cold and vastly underwhelmed.  Nothing stood out to me as particularly memorable or well done; it was TMP I've seen dozens of times before.  Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning, especially the ballroom scene.  Depth, three dimensional feeling without items jumping out in your face.   Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because."  This was a fully realized environment and I kept wanting to peek behind various objects to see what was there.    For the record, I am very very excited for Finding Nemo in 3D this weekend. 

#52 of 93 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:50 PM

TPM has maddeningly subpar.  With George Lucas behind this and what could have been done with the movie, I was left cold and vastly underwhelmed.  Nothing stood out to me as particularly memorable or well done; it was TMP I've seen dozens of times before.  Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning, especially the ballroom scene.  Depth, three dimensional feeling without items jumping out in your face. Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because."  This was a fully realized environment and I kept wanting to peek behind various objects to see what was there.  For the record, I am very very excited for Finding Nemo in 3D this weekend. 
Me too. And I'm looking forward to seeing Titanic in 3D as well.

#53 of 93 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:51 PM

Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because."
I recall one fantastic 3D scene in the film: Billy Zane entering a flooded (dining?) room, where the water close to the camera was very close, and it receded nicely into the far distance. But much of the rest of the film struck me as very, again, 'planar'. I'm not asking for lots of 'pop-outs', but I do like the characters to look 3-dimensional in the scene. Do we have it?

#54 of 93 OFFLINE   Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted September 11 2012 - 08:40 AM

Did anyone see the screencaps circulating on the web of the 3D version of the blu-ray where some of Kate Winslet's hair was digitally deleted, and some more added? I guess it's because the stray hairs wouldn't work in the conversion process. I've never seen anything like that!
Do you have a link to this? I can't find anything about it after some Googling.

#55 of 93 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted September 11 2012 - 09:45 AM

Again 3D is two images so I'm not sure posting one image of two will give you all the details... Like listening to one side of the stereo track...

#56 of 93 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,660 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted September 12 2012 - 04:45 AM

Watched some of it yesterday. Looks like it was filmed in 3D. Best Buy has it for $24.99 with a coupon.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#57 of 93 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,544 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 12 2012 - 05:05 AM

Took a sneak preview chapter-skipping through the first disc last night, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I think I said "this is incredible" more than the allotted number of times.

#58 of 93 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,683 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 05:45 AM

I'm happy to hear this, because my copy is on the way. BUT: When I saw this film in 3D in theatres, it struck me as a bit 'planar'... like, the characters looked kind of like 2D cutouts standing in 3-dimensional space, like a pop-up book. Not so on the blu? I recall similar things with The Phantom Menace. Fears unfounded? Thoughts?
Actually, that's how I think all 3D films look to some extent. There is depth between the individual images; but often the images themselves display no depth. One 3D scene that stood out for me (no pun intended) on the Blu-ray is when Kate Winslet is sitting at her dressing table brushing her hair when Billy Zane comes in through the door. You get a 3D separation of Winslet from the mirror; then the reflection itself displays depth within the mirror; and then Zane is yet another depth with his reflection.

#59 of 93 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,544 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 12 2012 - 06:03 AM

the individual images; but often the images themselves display no depth. One 3D scene that stood out for me (no pun intended) on the Blu-ray is when Kate Winslet is sitting at her dressing table brushing her hair when Billy Zane comes in through the door. You get a 3D separation of Winslet from the mirror; then the reflection itself displays depth within the mirror; and then Zane is yet another depth with his reflection.
  Agree.  Certain moments in 3D films will sometimes briefly remind me of certain View-Master scenes in which some of the people or objects or scenery appear a little like a cardboard cutout that's been placed there.  But I felt no more of that with Titanic than with any other 3D film.  In fact, in half expecting or watching for it, there were moments where I was astounded at how well "rounded" or "three dimensional" the elements appeared.  And yes, that scene at the dressing table mirror is exceptional.

#60 of 93 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,683 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 06:20 AM

Yes, Titanic looks like "real" 3D movies I've seen on Blu-ray. I never had the feeling that it was a conversion at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users