What's new

Should I buy all new or could i upgrade (1 Viewer)

bassn4g

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake Tijerina
I have Sony SA-FT1H Flat Panel Speaker System with Sony str k900
I Got a 65" 3D tv and just set up my system I got two warnings 73 and 74 I have no idea what they mean as i have not googled them.
My questions is if it is my receiver that is going out could i just upgrade it and keep my speakers or would i be better off going out and getting a all new set up.

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
If your speakers can take the power that the new receiver puts out and the impedance (Ohms) on the new receiver match the speakers it should be no issue. No sense replacing speakers if they are still good and compatible with your new equipment.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
mccambley said:
Why do people go so cheap on there audio systems? You have 65" 3D TV and you want to know if you should upgrade from this sound system, YES. Do not buy Sony Audio, buy your sound system from an audio company like Denon or Onkyo. Buy your speakers from a speaker company like Paradigm or Definitive Tech.
I don't understand it either. Believe me, I get budgets and spending limits, but I am always stunned when I watch people spend $2,000 on a TV, and then $350 on cables, $250 on the wall mount, and then $250 for the entire all-in-one surround audio system with the blu-ray player built in. Craziness.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
JeremyR said:
I don't understand it either. Believe me, I get budgets and spending limits, but I am always stunned when I watch people spend $2,000 on a TV, and then $350 on cables, $250 on the wall mount, and then $250 for the entire all-in-one surround audio system with the blu-ray player built in. Craziness.
Most beginners who haven't researched here or at other AV forums but only shopped in big box stores are virtually unaware of the alternatives to HTIB. Those listening rooms where you used to be able to audition this stuff have disappeared from retailers and selection in those retailers of receivers and speakers is drastically lower than as little as 5/6 years ago.
Then you have the obsession with tiny speakers/wireless largely driven by the spousal acceptance factor.

Real Name
Tim
Steve Schaffer said:
Most beginners who haven't researched here or at other AV forums but only shopped in big box stores are virtually unaware of the alternatives to HTIB. Those listening rooms where you used to be able to audition this stuff have disappeared from retailers and selection in those retailers of receivers and speakers is drastically lower than as little as 5/6 years ago.
Then you have the obsession with tiny speakers/wireless largely driven by the spousal acceptance factor.
I'm supposed to be our Appliance person at Best Buy buy mostly find myself helping people in the Home Theater section because they are so close together in our store. I TOTALLY agree with you on everything you just said. Most people that ask for help I have a really hard time trying to get them to look at seperate pieces, let alone purchase. What I think it is for a lot of people that really just are not into electronics like us is that the HTiB is so easy, its all there, its generally cheaper, and its color coded for easy setup. Lots of customers I've had find it a hassle to pick everything individually. An as you said most women and even which concerns me more is the amount of guys I get that come in and say "I want it loud, clean, and my budget is 3000", I show them our line of sleek Polk, or Klipsch, and a Denon reciever. I get "those are huge and ugly" "This 2 speaker Bose system 500 over my budget will do the same job":rolleyes:
I'd love to just say YOU ARE A MAN BUY MAN SIZED SPEAKERS!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Back in my days of selling this stuff retail (so glad I made the jump to wholesale)...
This was the CD I used for demos. Really quickly people figured out why "big speaker sounds better"...
http://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dreams-Tangerine-Dream/dp/B000026H3P/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347172314&sr=1-1&keywords=tangerine+dream+canyon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks