Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#61 of 929 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:28 AM

Sorry, just rankling a bit at the idea of a thread extending into "What mainstream films can we all claim 'ownership' on and pretend they were made exclusively for gay audiences?"
And which thread would that be?! :confused:

#62 of 929 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,738 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 07:04 AM

Well said, MattH. I know personally, that the DVD iteration of this thread made me aware of films I might have overlooked, just as Steve was recently enticed into giving Starz's Spartacus series a look. I would have not known that show had open, same-sex relationships in it (albeit very briefly) if someone (in that particular case, my straight male boss) had not told me,. Some films like the UK's Weekend, which MattH wrote a great Blu-ray review for here at the forum, or even films I may have forgotten about like the cheesy, but sweetly romantic Latter Days which has something to say about what defines a family and one particular religion's response to homosexuality and how that impacts "born into" versus "chosen" family relationships...which is also now available on Blu-ray. In the case of films like Bell, Book, & Candle, a film where the writer reports it is a gay allegory, some of us are going to be in on the joke, while others have no reason not to enjoy it while remaining ignorant of those facts. The subtext (or flat out text) in Hitchcock's Rope, Strangers on a Train or Rebecca , or films directed by openly gay directors like James Whale or gay-friendly directors like Billy Wilder or films staring Rock Hudson or Monty Clift that might be of interest even if the films themselves may (e.g. Pillow Talk) or may not (e.g. Terminal Station ) have specific gay themes..or even films where it is not mentioned, but many folks are aware of it behind the scenes (e.g. Ben-Hur, Fried Green Tomatoes, A League of Their Own). None of which takes any of these films away from anyone else. This thread is "gay-friendly," not "heterosexual hostile." If some folks want to claim this thread represents anything other that what is has been for years at this forum in this and the DVD iteration, a place where folks can discuss and be made aware of gay themes, elements, of subtext in films that are available on Blu-ray, and further state that somehow, by virtue of a film getting mentioned in this thread, it has been taken away from them, there is the that wonderful "block users" option at this forum which makes it so we don't even have to see their posts.
No one is claiming ownership of anything, at least not in this thread, but the thread does have to do with movies which have blatant or sub-textural gay plots or themes, and Deathtrap certainly applies. I also think Cannon is rather unappealing with a braying delivery that robs the character of any sympathy. And I agree with Bruce that the writers destroyed the perfect stage play ending with a new ending that seems forced and inappropriately ironic. I like the casting otherwise and think much of the film works beautifully.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#63 of 929 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

• 1,018 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 07:19 AM

Wait, and you watched Die Another Day???????
Sure did. It starred a very good actor who, unlike Craig, fit the role of James Bond perfectly.

#64 of 929 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 08:04 AM

Sure did. It starred a very good actor who, unlike Craig, fit the role of James Bond perfectly.
Do yourself a favor and just give the man a shot. Quantum of Solace, the least of the Craig films, is 1,000 times the movie Die Another Day is.

#65 of 929 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,112 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 29 2012 - 09:12 AM

As a straight man into, uhm, extracurricular antics...(cough cough, go to youtube and watch the video entitled "The importance of the Safeword"...with Lucy Lawless from EuroTrip) I have numerous friends that are Bi, Queer, Trans and same-sex partnered(some of them hate the terms gay and lesbian...as in "why does it need a label?") Some same-sex flirtation from Silva to Bond. I mean really? You can't tell me Daniel Craig doesn't get hit on by men...I'm sure not as much as from women...but if he wanted to, he'd have craploads of chances. If anybody in the world is offended by same-sex flirting...you need to open your eyes and take a drive in the country and watch some gayness out on the farm. We have cats on our property(large farm with the requisite barn) and I swear there was a ball of male cats having all kinds of fun with nary an actual....(well I'll leave the obvious word out...as I don't know the "allowance" for the word...which you all can guess anyway...)

#66 of 929 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,051 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 29 2012 - 09:40 AM

He did say in that scene...  
it wasn't his first time, or something to that effect
  So take that as you will. 

#67 of 929 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,738 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:30 PM

The stop motion film ParaNorman is now available on Blu-ray. (It also comes with a DVD and Digital Download.) It is not as good as Laika's other effort, Coraline, IMO, but it is still a fun 93 minutes and the thing that makes this one appropriate for this thread surprised me.

#68 of 929 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,051 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:36 PM

^ No joke.  It caught me by surprise and I had to shake myself back into the movie.

#69 of 929 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sorry, just rankling a bit at the idea of a thread extending into "What mainstream films can we all claim 'ownership' on and pretend they were made exclusively for gay audiences?" There's been a lot of cultural co-opting in the search for a cultural identity, and despite a lot of wishful thinking, not all of it necessarily belongs to the taker. (I almost feel like it's some sort of prisoner exchange, sometimes, for which audiences are officially "allowed" to see which movies by mass universal assent--Tell you what, we'll allow your historical claim on Dracula's Daughter, if you give us back Xanadu and Sound of Music.) :P
Who ever said movies had to go in this pile or that pile? This isn't a thread about "movies the gays own" it's a thread to discuss films that have some sort of gay theme within them. Xanadu and Sound of Music don't belong here because there is no gay content in them, even though many gay people and straight people like the films. Deathtrap is exactly the sort of film that belongs here for obvious reasons. I remember when people got pissed when Bell Book and Candle was discussed in the review thread, but that is one that - while not a "gay" film explicitly is very interesting to consider when run through that prism of thought. And I know there were plenty of straight people who loved a film like The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, which is one of the gayest movies ever made. Do you feel that if a movie is a "gay" film some of the gayness will get on you like cooties and people will think YOU'RE gay if you watch Xanadu and are a fan of it? Thought we were past some of that crap at this point...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#70 of 929 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 29 2012 - 03:52 PM

Can't we all just get along?

#71 of 929 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:18 PM

No one is claiming ownership of anything, at least not in this thread, but the thread does have to do with movies which have blatant or sub-textural gay plots or themes, and Deathtrap certainly applies.
In general terms of the thread, however, one might argue that Lawrence of Arabia does not. Okay, there's one scene of buggering, which seems to be as rooted in the Turkish culture as it was in Midnight Express, but that alone is no cause to jump in with big Rainbow flags chanting "One-of-us, one-of-us!" I can think of a hundred reasons to recommend LoA to a moviegoer, but I always find myself talking about other scenes, like, oh, the train attack for instance, silly me-- I keep focusing on what the director intended. (And seriously, let's not even get INTO ParaNorman. That's like co-opting "Chicken Little" because of one Streisand-fan joke.) That just smacks a little bit of the straights' negative "Squatters-rights" stereotype that gays will immediately walk in, lay wishful-thinking claim on anything they think will steer the conversation back toward themselves, whether it was there in the first place or not, and giggle "oh, really?" at any hetero who might have a passing interest in the subject--And then make a great mass unity public show of "celebrating the stereotype", since they believe it's somehow rebelling against social perceptions. (Friendly advice, it's not, btw--You don't combat a larger-than-life image by making yourself larger than life.) It suggests a basic insecurity, like you're not confident in your own self unless you're flashing a Membership Badge to the world, and then looking for more badges and more places to flash it. Why not just, y'know, kick back and see a movie, instead of trying to make some clubhouse initiation out of it? When I watch a movie, there's only one "clubhouse" i belong to, and that's Film Buffs.

#72 of 929 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:21 PM

Who would want to talk about gay-friendly movies with posters who clearly are not?

#73 of 929 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:23 PM

Eric, why do you come to this thread if you feel this way? If a movie has themes or content that are to do with gay characters or situation its fair game to discuss here. Nobody is suggesting LoA is a gay film for goodness sake. Just as nobody would give any argument about the meaning of the Turkish Bey scene. Why must everything be put in a box, either this or that?

#74 of 929 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,112 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:29 PM

Who would want to talk about gay-friendly movies with posters who clearly are not?
Does that mean, that a straight man such as me, can't discuss the achievement that Satyricon is?

#75 of 929 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:31 PM

I was not referring to anyone whose posts were not homophobic.

#76 of 929 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think anyone of any orientation is welcome here to discuss the topic of the thread: Gay themes in films...

#77 of 929 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:42 PM

Eric, why do you come to this thread if you feel this way? If a movie has themes or content that are to do with gay characters or situation its fair game to discuss here. Nobody is suggesting LoA is a gay film for goodness sake. Just as nobody would give any argument about the meaning of the Turkish Bey scene. Why must everything be put in a box, either this or that?
I just take issue with the header that any movie that could be put on the list is "Gay-friendly". What does that mean, exactly?: They made it with you in mind? That it's "un-friendly" if there's nothing in it to "interest" gays by telling them about their own selves, and should therefore be dismissed or ignored? If I'm worried about "boxes", maybe it's because I'm not the one who keeps building the boxes, and fitting the world to be box-shape ready. Earlier, you asked:
Do you feel that if a movie is a "gay" film some of the gayness will get on you like cooties and people will think YOU'RE gay if you watch Xanadu and are a fan of it? Thought we were past some of that crap at this point...
I love cooking. I watch opera. I can discuss hours of 40's films, and I've already been kidded for knowing 70's Broadway by heart (grew up in upstate NY). Getting ready with the jokes? Don't bother. I do them because I know how. I don't believe in the future of a world run by idiots, being dismissively taught by a marketing-driven media that they were Born To Be Lovable Underacheiving Slobs. Sometimes, I feel like I was born a Smart Guy in a Stupid Guy's body. :) There used to be a term for that; us Frasier folk who got A's in school, who used to believe there was more to the meaning and existence of an able, competent intelligent male than crushed Bud Lite cans and Two And A Half Men reruns, took some pride in being labeled "Metrosexuals". It was our small allowance of personal honor, to say to the world "Grow up, and get out of junior high: Smart is Still Straight. Neat is Still Passionate. Cheerful is Still Just a Darn Good Idea. There is no future in Loud and Stupid." It doesn't get used that way anymore: The gay community's search for sub-categories and sub-sub-sub-categories has become so enamored about new nicknames for its own self, even THAT term has been co-opted, for the usual "Well, you never know... :) " jokes, searching, as always, for new club members to hand-stamp. What do I have left? Anything else would you like to take from my own daily life and hang on your wall as a show trophy to market yourself further? You want me to "Let you live your life"? Here's the secret, it works both ways: If I want to relive my 80's teen years watching Xanadu, my respect for 60's classic-era Fox in watching Sound of Music, or my 70's years watching Mamma Mia, let me live MINE.

#78 of 929 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,738 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:48 PM

Does that mean, that a straight man such as me, can't discuss the achievement that Satyricon is?
If believe he meant if we're discussing gay-friendly movies, it follows that the folks reading and posting here probably ought to gay-friendly/accepting, too. (That would include the significant majority of non-gay folks I know.) :) One of my best buddies seems to have a sincere like for lesbian-themed or lesbian directed movies...and not just titillating ones. For folks that find to this topic problematic, it is pretty easy not to read or post in this thread. The repeated posts in this thread by someone that appears to resent this thread's existence is head-scratching, much like someone who hates female-centric melodramas constantly posting in a thread about Lifetime's made-for-TV movies. This thread had a long history in its DVD iteration with very little of this type of unpleasant thread-crapping. Reasonable folks will understand that to have a thread where we can report, "Hey have you seen, this?" or "This just got released and you might want to check it out." based on the movie's gay-themed text, sub-text or background story, of which there are plenty of examples already, is a reasonable type of thread to exist as much as a thread on films that are all released by Criterion. I know from the previous DVD thread, I became aware of several films that I would have missed otherwise. I would not know to go to Amazon and look up Latter Days and think I would find a film about two gay men who fall in love while one also struggles with his faith... or a film like the recently released Weekend. MattH posted his review of Weekend which it is now buried in the forum where no one will find it who is not actively looking for it. By mentioning that film here and including a link to Matt's review, it makes it easy for anyone to find since this thread will be updated much the way the bargains thread gets updated. By just checking a thread like this, I might find out about movies that I would otherwise be unaware of. This is especially true since many gay-themed films are indie films made on shoestring budgets with no money for advertising campaigns, no wide distribution, and if really lucky, might have been included in a LGBT film festival. If you did not see it there, you might not know it even exists, hence this thread. The other need this thread meets is for someone, for example, who is new to Hitchcock not knowing how clever he was to slip Ms Danvers affections for Rebecca through the production code's homophobic standards because Hayes Office could not find the gayness in the text...it was all how the screenplay was acted out by the brilliant Judith Anderson. Others, for whatever illogical reason apparently feel that by acknowledging or discussing certain components of a film's subtext, themes, or back-story, we are staking a claim of ownership on the entire film, like Marvin the Martian with his flag on Planet X. It is pretty clear no one is saying "This is ours!" except for the person complaining about it. I had no idea we had so much power to take films away from folks. I did not know I was running into folks' homes and taking their blu-rays from them by stating something like the fact that the writer of Rope , Arthur Laurents, says that The Way We Were is actually based on his relationship with another man. .or that he dated Farley Granger while they were making Rope and how Alfred and Alma even took them out to dinner as a couple. That somehow those films are now taken away from all the folks who enjoy them other reasons and know nothing about those aspects of either film. I do find it interesting to watch a film like The Way We Were knowing the screenwriter was actually retelling his own life story, rewriting his part as the female lead. It made me want to go back and rewatch that film. How that would ruin or take away the film for anyone else is just beyond any rational or reasonable explanation. At this point, again, it is just seems like thread-crapping.

#79 of 929 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,112 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:55 PM

Don't know where you are...but myself, and the people I know.... Metrosexual has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Matter of fact, I dated a woman(born as) who lived her life gender queer and metrosexual. Seriously...people at times were confused if I was with a man or woman. But always, always dressed to the 9's and looking clean and put together. To this day the only person I've ever known that could wear a dress...and you still didn't know if she was a boy. So, people confusing metrosexual with a gender...that is their own failing.

#80 of 929 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 29 2012 - 06:17 PM

I hope a moderator steps in soon, because I'm about to get bitchy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users