Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
566 replies to this topic

#561 of 567 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,584 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 03 2014 - 10:59 PM

About time that preorder went back up. I looked every day before we went on vacation... Not too much longer until I get to see what you guys are raving about.  :D

• Mark Walker likes this

#562 of 567 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,444 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:35 AM

Happy Fourth of July to everyone here in the USA.

Another film that looks very promising is coming to theaters (I suspect in a very limited engagement.) and then, one would hope there will be a Blu-ray release via Sony:  Love is Strange.

Alfred Molina and John Lithgow star as an aging couple that takes a financial downturn when one of them is suddenly let go from work after years of teaching music at a religiously-affiliated institution.  Their families come together to help them out (after being asked) and comedy and drama ensue.

Reviews have been very good.

I have yet to see Lithgow in anything where he is not wonderful.  Lithogw also has had a special place in my heart since he played the trans character in The World According to Garp back in the 1980s.

Some photos from Love is Strange are posted below along with a link to a trailer.  

I would say this one will be a blind buy for me.

tumblr_msz4ickoCa1sfbynro1_1280.png

Alfred_Molina_Darren_Borrows_Marisa_Tome

Link to the film's trailer:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XdfA5Ff5e78

Now, go play with your sparklers.   :)

• Matt Hough likes this

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#563 of 567 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,563 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:27 PM

With the talent involved, I think a blind buy would be a safe bet. I certainly plan to get it.

• Mark Walker likes this

#564 of 567 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,584 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 05 2014 - 09:05 PM

I read/heard about Love is Strange somewhere (before your post), Mark, and I can't remember where for the life of me. I'm certainly intrigued and I'll "try" to catch it up here...if there's a screening. I doubt it, but you never know.

• Mark Walker likes this

#565 of 567 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:53 PM

"Love is Strange" looks like a cross-over hit.  It is being compared to Tokyo Story and Make Way for Tomorrow. 

100% on RottenTomatoes.com right now. 

• Mark Walker likes this

#566 of 567 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted July 06 2014 - 09:29 PM

But how many people know and love Make Way for Tomorrow, and Tokyo Story, the way we do?

#567 of 567 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted July 07 2014 - 08:16 AM

But how many people know and love Make Way for Tomorrow, and Tokyo Story, the way we do?

Good point.  But reviews often mention classics and even if the reader doesn't know the referenced film, the fact that the reviewer is making such a comparison can validate the review.

Some of the things it has going for it are:

1.  Good stars.

2.  Excellent opening date.  Late August has proven to be a great time for adult-oriented dramas that eventually do well and win awards.

3.  A very timely topic that may resonate well with cross-over audiences.

4.  Appeal to older audiences that make up the indie crowd to a considerable degree.  I saw Nebraska several times theatrically and the auditorium was always packed with an older crowd, increasingly as time went on.  This film isn't just about anti-gay discrimination, it is about older people not having a place in the world. 

It is also a film that can change minds.

• bujaki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users