Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
942 replies to this topic

#561 of 943 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted July 02 2014 - 09:28 AM

If you click on the Amazon link in Mark Walker's post, the HTF will get credit for the purchase. 

Any time an Amazon link is accessed through the HTF software, we get credit.  The same is true for the Amazon links I post in each week's RoundUp. 

:thumbs-up-smiley: And, thanks fellas, it is much appreciated. 

Oh thanks, Mike! (I didn't know that!)

#562 of 943 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,451 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 02 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's the magic of the internet!  :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#563 of 943 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,093 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 03 2014 - 10:59 PM

About time that preorder went back up. I looked every day before we went on vacation... Not too much longer until I get to see what you guys are raving about.  :D

#564 of 943 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:35 AM

Happy Fourth of July to everyone here in the USA.

Another film that looks very promising is coming to theaters (I suspect in a very limited engagement.) and then, one would hope there will be a Blu-ray release via Sony:  Love is Strange.

Alfred Molina and John Lithgow star as an aging couple that takes a financial downturn when one of them is suddenly let go from work after years of teaching music at a religiously-affiliated institution.  Their families come together to help them out (after being asked) and comedy and drama ensue.

Reviews have been very good.

I have yet to see Lithgow in anything where he is not wonderful.  Lithogw also has had a special place in my heart since he played the trans character in The World According to Garp back in the 1980s.

Some photos from Love is Strange are posted below along with a link to a trailer.  

I would say this one will be a blind buy for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link to the film's trailer:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XdfA5Ff5e78

Now, go play with your sparklers.   :)

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#565 of 943 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,895 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:27 PM

With the talent involved, I think a blind buy would be a safe bet. I certainly plan to get it.

#566 of 943 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,093 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 05 2014 - 09:05 PM

I read/heard about Love is Strange somewhere (before your post), Mark, and I can't remember where for the life of me. I'm certainly intrigued and I'll "try" to catch it up here...if there's a screening. I doubt it, but you never know.

#567 of 943 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 944 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:53 PM

"Love is Strange" looks like a cross-over hit.  It is being compared to Tokyo Story and Make Way for Tomorrow. 

100% on RottenTomatoes.com right now. 

#568 of 943 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted July 06 2014 - 09:29 PM

But how many people know and love Make Way for Tomorrow, and Tokyo Story, the way we do?

#569 of 943 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 944 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted July 07 2014 - 08:16 AM

But how many people know and love Make Way for Tomorrow, and Tokyo Story, the way we do?

Good point.  But reviews often mention classics and even if the reader doesn't know the referenced film, the fact that the reviewer is making such a comparison can validate the review.

Some of the things it has going for it are:

1.  Good stars.

2.  Excellent opening date.  Late August has proven to be a great time for adult-oriented dramas that eventually do well and win awards.

3.  A very timely topic that may resonate well with cross-over audiences.

4.  Appeal to older audiences that make up the indie crowd to a considerable degree.  I saw Nebraska several times theatrically and the auditorium was always packed with an older crowd, increasingly as time went on.  This film isn't just about anti-gay discrimination, it is about older people not having a place in the world. 

It is also a film that can change minds.

#570 of 943 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted July 13 2014 - 09:29 AM

Had a chance to watch TT's new BD release of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night. Then decided to give the commentary track a listen. Very early into the commentary, reference was made to this thread: The Endless Thunderbolt & Lightfoot Gay/No Way Debate. Lots of interesting reading. Made me aware of a lot of things that I had never picked up on. And I've seen this film many, many times over the last 40 years.

Like the old saying goes: Where there's smoke, there's fire.

#571 of 943 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 07:54 PM

The DVD of Five Dances was released and I got my copy from WolfeVideo.com

Posted Image

along with a cache of other films I have yet to watch.

There is no Blu-ray yet, and I am not holding out for one. 

The DVD is everything I hoped for:

The image and sound are both just fine for a DVD.  

The bonus materials on the DVD are what make me *really* happy I did not just go for a streaming copy!

It includes a commentary track with the writer/director and lead, Ryan Steele.

While there are a few periods of silence on the commetary, overall it is exactly the kind of commentary I wanted for this film.  The writer/director keeps it simple, but goes into his creative process on this film, how it was made in the editing room, and how they had to shoot pick ups and add dialogue where the film needed it.  The director also goes into how he changed the nature of Steele's character, Chip, after meeting Steele.

The other great thing is how they talk about how the relationships on the set informed the film, like the how Steele and his male love interest became good friends and the cast of five became "family."

Again, just what I was hoping to hear: a warm "insider's story" on the making of this film.

Other bonus features include deleted scenes including a great one about pizza and the film's trailer.

The deleted scenes can be selected individually or to "play all."

The film appears to be 1.78:1 and has audio in DD 5.1 and 2.0 with the commentary also in 2.0.

I will add the film continues to delight me, even as I continue to feel it stops more than it ends.  The romance played stronger this time than it did when I saw it in the theater.

Other films I will bring up in the weeks to come include the Blu-ray of Bear CIty 2 and the DVDs of Test (which I also really really liked) Two Hot Guys With Guns, Leather, Hawaii, and Birthday Cake.

I thought I would provide an update on Five Dances.  I saw it last week the one night it was showing at Portland’s LGBT film fest.  I was tired.  I was up too late.  It was still very much worth it.

The film almost met all of my expectations.

I hope most of you will not be too annoyed if I indulge in a bit of autobiography in order to explain why I am probably very biased in favor of this film.

Back when I was a kid, moving from single to double digits in age, I had my first same sex crush on an actual person rather than a fictional character. --My friends were watching Star Wars and thinking about Leia the way I was thinking about Luke.--  But, my in-real-life, real person crush was on one of the principle dancers in the Portland Ballet Company, Portland's premier ballet troupe.  I had causally admired him performing on stage for a couple of years before I started taking lessons from the company’s prima ballerina, Heidi Schumacher. 

The Portland Ballet Company rehearsed before my classes, which were late in the afternoon on Tuesdays.  If I made all my optimal bus connections from the suburbs to the city, I could arrive in time to watch them practice for the better part of an hour.  Watching professional dancers rehearse, absent the glamor of the lights and costumes, was sublime.  They were so focused and so used to being watched that the kid warming up and gazing at them from the doorway was of no notice.  Seeing their strength and grace in raw form, up close, was better than anything I had ever seen on stage.

And then there was that male lead dancer, Michelangelo’s “David” come-to-life, who often wore white tights that revealed everything.

There were two dressing rooms, (obviously); one for the women and one for the men.  The men’s, I imagine, was much smaller than the women’s; I was one of two boys in my age range taking lessons. We were usually putting on our leotards when the men of the company were taking theirs off.  (Unlike me, they were not shy.) More than once I was alone in the dressing room with "David."  I suspect you can imagine the rest.  My heart still races recalling it.  (No, for the record, nothing more than knowing glances were exchanged: I am sure he knew --based on the grins he gave me-- that I wanted to be him and to be with him.)

Flash forward to me in my 20s and early 30s and I was involved with a professional dancer or two, in one case, much to the consternation of my mother:  She was angry at the insinuations in the company’s publicity materials that this dancer was allegedly dating his female partner.  (Mom was also afraid that he was going to give me AIDS, believing I was probably little more to him than a notch on his bedpost, but that is another story too long and out of context for this thread and forum.)

Several years later (now) and ballet dancers still hold a special place for me with their ability to move their bodies with so much strength, stamina, and flexibility...in an attempt, in part, to make it look so effortless and easy.  The men with their unabashed beauty were a rebellion against masculine gender stereotyping years before any others, the muscular athlete as graceful artist, long before metrosexuals like David Beckham made it okay for male athletes to want to be objectified as things of beauty.

Dance and film are both art, of course; Alan Brown’s Five Dances is something of a visual poem.  Austere, simple, and raw in spoken words, production design, and plot, he uses choreography to tell the story rather than using dialog between the dancers, whenever possible. 

Posted Image

This is not Evita nor Les Mis:  They do not dance when it would be better for them to speak.  There are comments that are funny (The whole audience laughed at Chip’s line “Wow. That’s a lot,” which I will not spoil the context of for you here.)

The film mostly takes place in the studio, with warm ups, practice, stretching, and cooling down.  There are moments that feel as if they were stolen from my days in the dance studio hallway.  Everyone focused on how their bodies are moving. Wood floors. A piano. Mirrors and windows. Noise from the city streets below.  Magic.

Ryan Steele does a great job with his part.  His Chip is strong, guarded, determined, and intense, then alternately naive and vulnerable.  We get enough from the very few exchanges of dialog to know that he is counting on his talent and drive to be his means of escape from life in Kansas. (Side note: I cannot fathom why they gave him the ill-fitting name Chip, and I wonder how the part was modified for Steele as Brown has stated, because Steele presents so differently than his character during the interviews I have seen.) Regardless, we know enough about Chip to care about him and his fate. 

The two female dancers, Katie and Cynthia, are given enough individual screen time for us to sense their life stories.  The two male dancers, Theo, Chip's love interest, and Anthony, the company's director, were slightly obfuscated to me; I wonder if Brown wanted Theo to be that way to increase the romantic tension with Chip, and for Anthony as a means to prevent empathy for him when he is confronted by a female dancer.  It may also be that Brown under-developed these two characters out of a lack of interest in them or to prevent the film from being too formulaic about giving each character a certain amount of back story.

Five Dances is not a romance, and, despite some reviewers' comments, I found the sex scene to be sensual but not explicit. Five Dances also does not feel like a coming of age story for the simple reason that the film’s plot, what there is of it, is really more about Chip finding his footing than actually landing. 

Ultimately, the film celebrates dance and dancers in raw, unadorned form.  One is supposed to love watching Steele and his peers move and contort their bodies and make art. The cinematography and lighting is lovely, while also absent of flourish.  The Five Dances are interspersed in the film. Each is announced with a title card. Each is wonderful and intimate.  They need to be seen in the context of their placement within the film to have the intended impact on the audience. They are part of the plot.

The film’s music, a mixture of melancholia and cautious optimism, is perfect for Five Dances. Nicholas Wright’s score is available on iTunes as of last Friday.  The individual songs by the other artists, including Scott Matthew (no “s”), Perfume Genius, and Gem Club are all listed at the film’s website here http://www.fivedance...ovie.com/music/ and can also be purchased via iTunes.  I cannot imagine not wanting them all, particularly Gem Club’s “252,” Matthew’s “Dog,” and Perfume Genius’ “Put Your Back N 2 It” (It is the bonus track single with that title; not the album of the same name.) One is not listening to the essence of the film in music without all of them.

The music paired with the visuals make this film as good as it is.

If Five Dances is a poem, it feels like the last stanza has been omitted, probably by Brown’s intentional design.  We are watching the start of someone in the process of becoming.  There are lots of starts and a few sputters, but I sensed no resolute ending.  The film feels like it stopped more than anything else.  (This is where the oft-read criticism that the film’s characters’, including the lead, are under-developed seems the most justified.)  My one criticism is that it felt like in his desire to keep the film mostly contained in Soho, Alan Brown used a short dialog exchange at the very end of the film where he should have shown us the resolution instead.  I think he wanted the audience to know

Spoiler
  There probably could have been a re-write to resolve this one minor flaw in a more satisfactory manner.

Seeing Chip at the end of 83 minutes

Spoiler
is what the film leaves us with.  I understand why some folks will find this slightly unsatisfying.

The audience I was at the theater with seemed to enjoy it as there was that quiet happiness on folks’ faces as we all left the theater.

I left the theater loving the film, but knowing I wanted to wait several days before posting my thoughts here at the HTF in order to see if a few days would have a cooling effect.  It hasn't.  I am left yearning to be back sitting on dance studio floor warming up my leg muscles while those far more talented and committed than me, men like "David," move about the studio, poetry in motion.

Five Dances will be available on DVD and VOD from Wolfe Video in 2014.  Since Brown's last film, Private Romeo, included a commentary track and other bonus features, I am hopeful this will release will, too.  As soon as I know, I will update this thread.

#572 of 943 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,895 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:26 AM

Thanks so much for the comments on the quality and contents of the release. I'll be looking to add this to the collection, too.

#573 of 943 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:54 PM

Well, if you're looking for gay content on blu ray - well, its not so much that the show focuses on gay themes and content, but more that it features a gay (well, omnisexual) character where his sexual orientation is simply no big deal:

Posted Image

Captain Jack is gay as the day is long, and he's just another companion. Any friction between him and the Doctor results of Jack's immortal nature, and not that he kisses dudes.

#574 of 943 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted August 02 2014 - 04:23 AM

Just out of curiosity, now that VICIOUS is nearing the end of its PBS run, what does everybody think?

I'm quite enjoying it, to be honest.  There's nothing really nutritious about it and it's the kind of comedy that you forget as soon as it's over, but it's fun seeing Ian, Derek, and Frances having such a lark.  I don't know that I would need to own it on disc, but I do find myself looking forward to it each week.

Thoughts? 

#575 of 943 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,895 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 02 2014 - 05:05 AM

Last week's episode with Ash's girl friend encountering the two cynics was so hilarious that my sides ached from laughter. I refused to erase it from my DVR until I could order the DVD set (alas, no Blu-ray) and have it here for all time.

This week is the finale.

#576 of 943 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 06:31 AM

I am very glad I ordered the DVD of series one.  I wonder how much having Derek, Ian, and Francis as the leads is influencing me, but I am really enjoying it and can see re-watching it from time to time.  And like Matt, I am laughing out loud fairly often, which is surprising for me. 

Just out of curiosity, now that VICIOUS is nearing the end of its PBS run, what does everybody think?

I'm quite enjoying it, to be honest.  There's nothing really nutritious about it and it's the kind of comedy that you forget as soon as it's over, but it's fun seeing Ian, Derek, and Frances having such a lark.  I don't know that I would need to own it on disc, but I do find myself looking forward to it each week.

Thoughts? 

Last week's episode with Ash's girl friend encountering the two cynics was so hilarious that my sides ached from laughter. I refused to erase it from my DVR until I could order the DVD set (alas, no Blu-ray) and have it here for all time.

This week is the finale.

#577 of 943 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted August 02 2014 - 07:01 AM

Well, I will admit that all the episodes are still on my DVR, I'm just not sure how much repeat value it'll have for me far down the road.  Last week's episode with Ash's girlfriend was VERY funny (probably the best of the bunch so far) but I was sad that Violet was removed from the main action for most of it.

"That's why I made chicken!!"

I'll give the whole series a re-watch before making any buying decisions (now that I think of it, I've watched each episode at LEAST twice so maybe I like it MORE than I think I do) but I hope, if there's a second series they drop the running joke about the nearly dead dog because it's getting, IMO really really tiresome  :unsure:

Speaking of Frances (and why not?) there was a rather anemic HD transfer of THE HISTORY BOYS recently floating around on xfinity (looked like an up-convert) and it reminded me how much I'd love to have that on blu-ray.  Such a great little movie with the main cast repeating their stage roles and Frances' character as the glue/Greek chorus that holds all the elements together (in other words, what Frances does best.) ...plus, Samuel Barnett really "sends" me! 

I'm sad her scenes were snipped from LOVE, ACTUALLY but I'm glad we at least get to see them in the special features of that one.

#578 of 943 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 07:58 PM

Of note, the two DVD set of Series One also contains the Xmas episode.  I just checked disc two and it is right after the episode that finished the series in the US last night.

It is great to hear the show with the audio uncensored: I never thought I'd hear Derek Jacobi ask a question about Ash to Ian McKellan, "He gets paid to give head?"  I about died.  LOL!

I will say, like Will, I feel the dog gag is as lifeless as the animal in question.

Cheers!

Well, I will admit that all the episodes are still on my DVR, I'm just not sure how much repeat value it'll have for me far down the road.  Last week's episode with Ash's girlfriend was VERY funny (probably the best of the bunch so far) but I was sad that Violet was removed from the main action for most of it.

"That's why I made chicken!!"

I'll give the whole series a re-watch before making any buying decisions (now that I think of it, I've watched each episode at LEAST twice so maybe I like it MORE than I think I do) but I hope, if there's a second series they drop the running joke about the nearly dead dog because it's getting, IMO really really tiresome  :unsure:

Speaking of Frances (and why not?) there was a rather anemic HD transfer of THE HISTORY BOYS recently floating around on xfinity (looked like an up-convert) and it reminded me how much I'd love to have that on blu-ray.  Such a great little movie with the main cast repeating their stage roles and Frances' character as the glue/Greek chorus that holds all the elements together (in other words, what Frances does best.) ...plus, Samuel Barnett really "sends" me! 

I'm sad her scenes were snipped from LOVE, ACTUALLY but I'm glad we at least get to see them in the special features of that one.

#579 of 943 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'm enjoying it a lot too, but I probably won't purchase it. If I did, I'd opt for the HD downloads from iTunes rather than the DVDs. Shocking line from Sunday's show: Ash says something like, "You're kidding, right? How could I not remember Violet? She practically gives me a hand-job every time we meet!"

#580 of 943 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:19 PM

And Violet's reply!

I can see the HD downloads being the preferable version to the DVDs, as the DVDs are almost completely absent of bonus content.

I'm enjoying it a lot too, but I probably won't purchase it. If I did, I'd opt for the HD downloads from iTunes rather than the DVDs. Shocking line from Sunday's show: Ash says something like, "You're kidding, right? How could I not remember Violet? She practically gives me a hand-job every time we meet!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users