Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
780 replies to this topic

#21 of 781 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:54 PM

Glad to hear. I won't read your spoiler, as I want to be surprised when I see it on PBS. From the very proper English to the naughty Southern Europeans, just a friendly reminder that with Black Friday deals looming, I was able to finally pick up all three series of Spartacus because Fry's had them at $14.99 and $19.99 so I ended up with all three seasons on Blu-ray for just under $50. I see now Amazon is running similar sales, and I suspect there are deals to be found on this series at this point. (Series four is coming soon.) While the series is starting to feel a bit too repetitive in its use of slow mo during impact hits and blood splatters, there are also fleeting moments of same sex romance (treated openly, which is really nice) both in series one and series three and of course there is lots of male eye candy on hand, albeit usually covered in mud and blood. I am only through disc one of series three, but I see several episodes feature commentary tracks with cast and crew. Also, for those that do not yet know, the New Zealand actor Craig Parker, who played one of the more significant elves in LOTR, is one of the leads on season 3 of Spartacus and he also happens to be openly gay.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#22 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'm in the process of getting Season 3 right now.  Maybe I'll do a big marathon over the 4 day Christmas break I have and knock through all of it.

#23 of 781 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:02 PM

OK, you've got me interested in Spartacus. Am I correct in saying that the series order is Blood and Sand, followed by Gods of the Arena, followed by Vengeance?

#24 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 26 2012 - 02:44 PM

That is the order as I understand it, Steve.  There is another season debuting in January, but I'll be waiting for the discs.

#25 of 781 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 26 2012 - 02:59 PM

This is on Starz, yes? I think I get that (FiOS gave me all the movie channels for $20 a month, a deal I could not pass up.) Too many shows, not enough time!

#26 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 26 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yep, Starz.  I don't have any premium channels, so I'm always in a state of catching up.  No HBO, no Showtime, no Starz.

You should see the Tivo right now.  Between my stuff and all the holiday specials for the BF, it's getting very very full.  Not nearly enough time!  Posted Image

#27 of 781 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 27 2012 - 12:34 AM

Yes, the upcoming season will be the last for Spartacus. That was announced some months ago.

#28 of 781 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 04:03 AM

Correct, although, technically, Gods of the Arena is a prequel to the first series. I think it plays better watching it between Blood and Sand and Vengeance.

OK, you've got me interested in Spartacus. Am I correct in saying that the series order is Blood and Sand, followed by Gods of the Arena, followed by Vengeance?

#29 of 781 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 05:07 AM

Correct, although, technically, Gods of the Arena is a prequel to the first series. I think it plays better watching it between Blood and Sand and Vengeance.

Gods Of The Arena is actually presented as a flashback. It begins with the final moments of Season 1 and ends with those moments. Watching before Season 1 will spoil some things, especially who is having the flashback. So, yes. It goes between seasons 1 and 2. Off topic, but the Babylon 5 movie, In The Beginning, uses the same structure: Past events being told as a flashback. Like Gods, the B5 movie is best watched in the context of the "present day" scenes.
My crummy Deviant Art page. Read my epic poem The Pirate's Tale written in tribute to the Ozy & Millie comic strip.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

#30 of 781 OFFLINE   Giovanni DN

Giovanni DN

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'd love to see 'Before Night Falls' on Blu-ray.Such a powerful movie,featuring an Oscar nominated performance by Javier Bardem.I've developed a HUGE crush on him,and i've loved him ever since i saw this movie.

#31 of 781 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:19 AM

Have you seen Skyfall? That flirtatious scene between Bardem and Craig was something else... The blu-ray is out next year, and I'll definitely be picking it up.

#32 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:34 AM

Ya know, when Javier does his thing, it's a three second shot someone deliberately put in there, IMO.  There's really no good reason for it.  I'm more of a fan of the recent (fake) poster with the two.

#33 of 781 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:40 AM

Have not seen the poster. The whole scene left me feeling icky.

#34 of 781 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,466 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:42 AM

Maybe the next Bond will take a Zorro turn...

#35 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:48 AM

#36 of 781 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:10 AM

Bardem is just amazing, particularly in Before Night Falls. I also remember reading interviews with Bardem during the time period BNF was released. He felt like he had finally done a good job of playing a gay man because he owned the sexuality of it in a way he had not in a previous role where he felt he not as completely opened himself up to the deeper homosexual nature of the part. Wow. Really? As for Daniel Craig, if you have not seen the film Love is the Devil, where he plays the rough trade partner of painter Francis Bacon. All I have to say is it has a few titillating Craig moments even if the film's transfer on DVD is problematic. The film, while very interesting as a "study for a portrait" of Francis Bacon, is flawed as well.

#37 of 781 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:48 AM

Ya know, when Javier does his thing, it's a three second shot someone deliberately put in there, IMO.

Those silly film editors tend to do that, inserting shots into movies, deliberately. I'll never understand it.

There's really no good reason for it.

Is there a "good reason" for any shot in a James Bond movie?

#38 of 781 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,842 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:51 AM

It just didn't add anything for me.  If it meant something down the road, I would have been okay with it.  But again, that's just me.

#39 of 781 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 03:00 AM

I'm feeling even more lucky that I never liked the idea of a "reboot", Craig as Bond (having seen him in Road to Perdition, where he was a cipher onscreen), or Bond's conversion into a neo-Bourne thug -- and haven't seen any of the Bonds since Die Another Day.

#40 of 781 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 03:36 AM

I'm feeling even more lucky that I never liked the idea of a "reboot", Craig as Bond (having seen him in Road to Perdition, where he was a cipher onscreen), or Bond's conversion into a neo-Bourne thug -- and haven't seen any of the Bonds since Die Another Day.

You're missing some great stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users