What's new

21 Must-See Classic Movies for Adults (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That is a pretty great list. I have seen 98% of the films on it. The only quibble I have is why he chose Studio Ghibli's "Spirited Away" over "My Neighbor Totoro" which in my opinion is a much more magical film.....but I guess that is just apples to oranges.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Lists are just that, someone sitting around a board room that just points to a person and say come up with a list for X for this month. Personally, I disagree strongly with several of those choices.
I would put on that list To Kill A Mocking Bird, Gone With The Wind, Grapes of Wrath and It's A Wonderful Life.
But like I said, lists are just someone's personal choices and we all have them.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
It's a good list, and I have seen most of them.
However, I don't understand how he can make such a big deal saying "No 'Sound of Music' or 'Gone with the Wind', implying (it seems to me) that they are such safe choices that they aren't worthwhile for grownups, and then he includes 'Singin' in the Rain' and 'Casablanca' in his list. They seem pretty much of the same ilk to me: enormously popular in their day and now, 99% of people who are interested in movies have seen them, they have been reviewed and discussed to death, and probably will not lead anyone to "shake their fists at the screen."
I agree with Jeffery_H that "To Kill a Mockingbird" should be on the list.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
From the article
"Each one either pointed the direction in which movies would go, or assimilated the lessons of the past in a breathtakingly new way."
You can argue whether the films chosen fit that criteria or not, but I believe the author feels that some of the great films, such as the ones mentioned in this thread and in the article's paragraph following that quote do not qualify on that basis. I am not certain that I agree with the author, but I think that is the point of the list.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks