What's new

Amazon's big Hollywood announcement. Will it be about Ultraviolet? (1 Viewer)

K

Kevin Collins

Amazon is holding a press announcement in LA on Thursday. It will probably be about their new Kindle Fire device, but since it is near Santa Monica, could it mean that it would be also including something big about video content?

But what if Amazon announced a way for users to have access to a wide range of movies on its new Kindle devices that they might have purchased on other online services, like Vudu or Flixster? Amazon is currently a UV partner. But it’s yet to come out with an UltraViolet-compliant digital storefront of its own, or support UV titles purchased from other retailers, like Vudu. For Amazon, though, joining UltraViolet means opening up more content that can be viewed on its new Kindle Fire devices. That includes movies that they’ve already bought in older formats. What if Amazon took that a step further? It already has DVD purchase information for millions of users. What if those users could simply “convert” those DVD purchases to digital — again, for a small, nominal fee?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It is considered bad manners to quote an article without citing the source.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/01/amazon-hollywood-ultraviolet/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323451/amazons-big-hollywood-announcement-will-it-be-about-ultraviolet#post_3969651
would change nothing for me.

Yes. You've repeatedly made that clear.

Still, I welcome them to it.. VuDu is an awesome front on my PS3, and if Amazon somehow forms a UV bond, then anything I buy on Amazon will show up in my linked VuDu account as well. Which I tend to like that as a whole. Ron, as a new Galaxy S3 owner, might like that as well ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, lets step back a second. Amazon alone become an UV provider wouldnt change anything, but I've never said there is nothing UV could do to sway me. There ARE things they can do that aren't so completely asinine like they are now and I would sign up.
It happened with Steam and now instead of a Steam hater I am one of Steams biggest fans,.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's a start:
Single login, retroactive for all codes
Every code entitles download and stream, including to iOS devices
Sane, consistant pricing across vendors without crazy exclusives or other hoops to jump through
In short: respect the customer.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Apparently, you haven't listened to anything I have said concerning UV, because everything you said you want is possible. You can login to vudu and redeem all titles with few exceptions out of several hundred. When Amazon launches it's UV service I'm sure you will be able to do the same. You can stream or download every title with vudu and Flixster. When the CFF comes out this fall you will be able to download and transfer between devices and media players. And why does it matter if every vendor has the same price? Does every retailer have the same price when you buy a DVD?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
NO EXCEPTIONS. Exceptions are for also rans. =) If there is any "But you gotta" or "but this doesn't always work' the system sUCKS.
It doesn't have to be a standard price, it has to be a reasonable and consistent price.
Do you see any of those kinds of caveats with iTunes redemption???

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Looking forward to this! 5 million users and this will increase the popularity of the service. Rovi is also ramping up as well as the UV Common File Format and Technicolor's new M-Go software.
I can play UV files on most of the devices I currently own, not so with the walled garden iTunes files that only play on my Apple products and my PC.
I'm also being told that Microsofts new Windows 8 will have UV support out of the box.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cool, 1 in every 100 people in the us has ever in their life redeemed a uv code! =) Or is it 1 million users have 5 different logins each? =p
How many active users? Keep cheerleading guys, it will get there!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323451/amazons-big-hollywood-announcement-will-it-be-about-ultraviolet#post_3969883
Here's a start:
Single login, retroactive for all codes
Every code entitles download and stream, including to iOS devices
Sane, consistant pricing across vendors without crazy exclusives or other hoops to jump through
In short: respect the customer.

I've never had any problem getting my Ultraviolet titles to play in IOS. In fact, the Vudu client is pretty exceptional. And since I can single step redeem UV codes there as far as I can tell, I'm pretty happy with that on my ipad.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
That would be great if Windows 8 supports UV downloads. I hope the next Windows Media Player supports it also. A lot of people still hate iTunes!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
I've never had any problem getting my Ultraviolet titles to play in IOS.  In fact, the Vudu client is pretty exceptional.   And since I can single step redeem UV codes there as far as I can tell, I'm pretty happy with that on my ipad.
Sure, as streams. How about Downloads?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Sure, as streams. How about Downloads?
Yes you can download UV files and play them through the iPads etc. I'm watching a downloaded copy of the smurfs right now. Did you not know this fact?

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Towergrove said:
Yes you can download UV files and play them through the iPads etc. I'm watching a downloaded copy of the smurfs right now. Did you not know this fact?
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I want to make it clear that I'm honestly not sure, but don't you then have to delete the file when you're done to free up room, and download it again if you ever want to watch it as a download again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks