-

Photo

James Stewart Western Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 05:37 PM

Does anyone have this set: http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller= Is THE FAR COUNTRY widescreen? is the set a digipack or individual cases?

#2 of 8 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,497 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 31 2012 - 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Does anyone have this set:
http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=
Is THE FAR COUNTRY widescreen?
is the set a digipack or individual cases?

Richard,

I remembered reading a long time ago that The Far Country disc in this set was finally in its widescreen OAR.  Also, the discs are each in slim cases.  Thanks for reminding me about this boxset because for some reason I didn't buy it then, but will do so now.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 8 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,808 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 09:42 PM

Does anyone have this set: http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller= Is THE FAR COUNTRY widescreen? is the set a digipack or individual cases?

One of the "reviewers" giving his comments on Amazon says the following: What disappointed me a bit, and the reason I rated the set at 4 starts instead of 5, was that three of the films (Destry, Bend in the River, and especially Winchester 73) are full frame 1.33:1 format. The other three are widescreen formats. I sure would have preferred all six in a widescreen but twas not to be. If you find any credibility in the opinion of someone who prefers Academy ratio movies to be presented in widescreen, you will note that he says the other films, including The Far Country, are in widescreen.

#4 of 8 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 12:35 AM

If you find any credibility in the opinion of someone who prefers Academy ratio movies to be presented in widescreen, you will note that he says the other films, including The Far Country, are in widescreen.

It's the flip side of the early home video days when owners of 4x3 TV screens hated letterboxed wide screen movies because they wanted their screens all filled up. Now with wide screen TVs becoming the norm, people dislike 1.33 films and TV shows on their monitors because they don't fit the screen size. So instead of the old pan and scan days, "fake" wide screen now seems the preference of a certain mind set. I expect the day when films like All About Eve and TV shows like I Love Lucy will be formatted to 1.85 to satisfy the "I didn't buy a wide screen TV to watch square shaped movies!" crowd.

#5 of 8 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 737 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 12:52 AM

They already are being. The "remastered" Dragonball Z sets were produced in "widescreen" which lead to many of the shot compositions being thoroughly screwed - you will often see tops of heads missing. Likewise, the BD release of Thunderbirds in the UK was not correctly pillarboxed - instead they went to all the trouble of converting it to "widescreen" although admittedly a lot of work was done so the results don;t look like crude butchery. The same was done to the "remastered" World At War release (one of the finest documentaries ever made). Unbelievably, even archive footage from WWII is in "widescreen" And yes, it is all being done to pander to idiots - the same idiots who complained about black bars on their square TV's now complain about them on their rectangular ones

#6 of 8 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 774 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 02:18 AM

I have the set and can verify that The Far Country is 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Also individual slim cases in a slip case.

#7 of 8 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 09:00 AM

And yes, it is all being done to pander to idiots - the same idiots who complained about black bars on their square TV's now complain about them on their rectangular ones

A friend recently recounted the experience of having to watch Laura "stretched" to fill a wide screen TV. He said it had the effect of making Gene Tierney look like June Allyson!

#8 of 8 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks everybody for you input.

One of the "reviewers" giving his comments on Amazon says the following: What disappointed me a bit, and the reason I rated the set at 4 starts instead of 5, was that three of the films (Destry, Bend in the River, and especially Winchester 73) are full frame 1.33:1 format. The other three are widescreen formats. I sure would have preferred all six in a widescreen but twas not to be. If you find any credibility in the opinion of someone who prefers Academy ratio movies to be presented in widescreen, you will note that he says the other films, including The Far Country, are in widescreen.

Well ... as you know from my recent post on PSYCHO I don't "prefer Academy ratio movies to be presented in widescreen" but sometimes the additional top and bottom information of 1.33 can be interesting. Even though I already have all the films on DVD, I bought the Jimmy Stewart Western Collection for the widescreen edition of THE FAR COUNTRY. I can't wait to see it on my HD monitor. But I will hold onto the previous open matte DVD.