What's new

Truth or Consequences on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been meaning to ask this question for years. I guess today is the day.

Bob Barker is one of my heroes in broadcasting (Johnny Carson is the other).

I have such great memories of his polished hosting skills during the old program Truth or Consequences--and I think of the program so often--that I hae wondered if any episodes have ever been released onto disc? Or, if anyone knows who would have ownership of the rights? Or, if any of the programs still exist on tape/film anywhere?

In other words, what do we know, if anything?

IMDB tells me Barker hosted the show from 1956 to 1974. Ralph Edwards and Jerry Bailey had hosted for some years before that.

Barker was so skilled in interacting with people that it would be a shame if these shows were lost forever. Among my memories were the number of times the show reunited military personnel with their families. So many great moments. I even vividly remember the rather primitive opening graphics/sfx that were used:

903402ed_truthorconsequenceslogo.jpeg

Here's one of the few clips of the show (one entire episode) currently on YouTube:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sky Captain said:
Unfortunately (for you) games shows aren't usually put on DVD.
Yeah.
Although IIRC, BCI was fairly successful with the box sets they released in 2007-2008. Unfortunately, BCI wasn't very successful, and the company went out of business before (IIRC) their planned Tattletales and Match Game volume 2 sets could be released.
What I'd like to see would be Fremantle or Sony making their game show libraries available for streaming, as has been rumored for old soap operas. There's no way DVD releases will happen, but streaming would get the content out there and get the companies some money they wouldn't otherwise be making.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
BCI/Eclipse went out of business for other reasons:
Navarre Corporation announced yesterday that they will be shutting down its subsidiary BCI Eclipse Company as part of a restructuring plan “to deal with the effect of the recession,” this according to Cary Deacon, Narvarre’s Chief Executive Officer. This news comes just as BCI was broadening its slate to include licensed Shaw Brothers films and recently acquired Golden Harvest and Cinema City product from the Miramax vault.
BCI Eclipse, formerly known as Brentwood, has been a distributor of a broad range of budget DVDs, notably to this site for a series of karate and kung fu films licensed from Adness and Toby Russell’s Rarescope label. Deacon went on to explain that the decision to scrap the underperforming unit was part of an effort to lower expenses throughout Navarre.
“BCI’s operations have been unprofitable for the past two years. Although strides have been made this year to improve operating results, it has been mainly due to the strength of BCI’s exclusive distribution business. Rapidly changing conditions in the licensed and budget DVD markets during this holiday sales season have prompted us to make more fundamental changes. In response, we are closing BCI’s licensing unit in order to position our overall business for enhanced financial results upon the improvement of macro economic conditions.”
“We continue to be very excited about the DVD content that will now be exclusively sold and marketed through Navarre Distribution Services,” continued Deacon. “These changes will allow us to focus our efforts on growing the sales of the DVD content that is most appealing to our retail customers and consumers. Mr. Bob Freese will be the executive in charge of this restructuring and will be responsible for the smooth transition of our BCI distribution partners.”
This is unfortunate news for collectors in light of the fact that BCI was in the process of re-branding themselves as a legitimate distributor of licensed films after years of putting out dubious “public domain” titles under the scrapped Brentwood label, titles such as Sonny Chiba’s THE STREET FIGHTER.
This closure is also bad news for employees at BCI as Navarre has also announced plans to cut its workforce.
Navarre purchased BCI back in 2003 for $15 million. It had previously been an exclusive distributor of public domain films, usually packaged in a seemingly endless assortment of cheap box sets.
In 2005, Cliff MacMillan was hired as BCI’s Marketing and Acquisitions Manager. Having previously built up the Adness disc label which was responsible for the release of fully licensed Sonny Chiba classics, MacMillan began an effort to reshape BCI’s reputation while continuing to deliver quality martial arts film entertainment. He created the Ronin label to specialize in Japanese action entertainment, although it never really took root.
MacMillan managed to acquire obscure kung fu classics licensed from British kung fu movie maven Toby Russell which were released under Russell’s Rarescope banner. He also picked up some of Tony Jaa’s pre-ONG BAK films. He really caught the attention of genre fans after picking up 15 martial arts classics from Celestial Entertainment’s library of remastered Shaw Brothers films.
Perhaps even more important was the announcement of BCI’s acquisition of 25 Asian action titles long buried in the vaults of Miramax Films. Some of these titles included Yuen Woo-ping’s WING CHUN and DRAGONS FOREVER, starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.
Cliff MacMillan has earned a lot of respect within the genre community for his dedication to releasing quality films and for his willingness to talk directly to the fans and buyers. Like the folks at Dragon Dynasty, he is one of the good guys and to see his efforts discarded, probably along with his job, is a real shame.
Presently, Navarre is scheduled to release four martial arts titles on January 6th. This includes Shaw classics LIFE GAMBLE and OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER, early Tony Jaa actioner HARD GUN and FLICKS WITH KICKS 2, a two-pack containing previously released Rarescope titles LOVE AND SWORD and CHOI LEE FUT KUNG FU. What will become of these titles as well as BCI’s other unreleased martial arts films is up for speculation at this point. Navarre may let this most recent round of releases through and sift through the remaining library in order to decide which titles to keep or discard/sell off. We’ll have to wait and see.
Navarre shuts down BCI Eclipse

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I would watch that show when i was a wee boy. I remember that i missed it when it was gone.
Funny, i was wondering what the first guy was thinking, thanks for 2 pair of....pants, and calling me fat. SWEET! Not.
But how can you not love Bob Barker.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
RickER said:
But how can you not love Bob Barker.
I can, after he vowed never to allow any TPIR episode again that featured the following:
1) Fur coats
2) Holly Hallstrom
3) Rod Roddy
He is nothing but an rude, racist, and arrogant jerk. He is devoid of a heart and a soul. And unlike most people, I am actually glad he is no longer on TPIR.
This, in a nutshell, is the real Bob Barker.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Barker's obsession with being an anti-fur crusader also meant that GSN couldn't air the episodes hosted by Dennis James.
Everyone agrees that once his wife died in 1981 he turned into a power-hungry maniac (as well as a dirty old man behind the scenes).

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
And I get the feeling he may have had a life-long grudge against Dennis James. I mean, have you ever seen them share a dressing room, talk to each other, have a good relationship with each other, that sort of thing?
No.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sky Captain /t/323400/truth-or-consequences-on-dvd#post_3968936
Unfortunately (for you) games shows aren't usually put on DVD.

Right. Very helpful. Except that a number of them have made their way onto discs of various stripes. The Price is Right, Jeopardy, Password, Match Game, etc. are a few that have come to mind (mostly by the above mentioned Navarre).

ToC would certainly fall into a special niche of game show seeing as how it wasn't very much of a real competition for prizes.

I guess what I was wondering is if any of the old episodes of the show had already been released on some of those cheapo TV compilations with stuff that is supposedly in the public domain?

Or, if anyone knows who owns the show or if the shows even still exist anywhere?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Right.  Very helpful.  Except that a number of them have made their way onto discs of various stripes.  The Price is Right, Jeopardy, Password, Match Game, etc. are a few that have come to mind (mostly by the above mentioned Navarre).
ToC would certainly fall into a special niche of game show seeing as how it wasn't very much of a real competition for prizes.
I guess what I was wondering is if any of the old episodes of the show had already been released on some of those cheapo TV compilations with stuff that is supposedly in the public domain? 
Or, if anyone knows who owns the show or if the shows even still exist anywhere? 
Well, Wiki tells me that it was produced by Ralph Edwards, in association with Metromedia. Metromedia became Fox (to use the simple explanation).
So, that would possibly mean that either the heirs of Ralph Edwards, or Fox, owns the show.
The show was videotaped, and the last decade or so was syndication only. Couldn't find anything about whether the tapes had been wiped or not, which is a good possibility for anything from before 1970.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Ralph Edwards Productions would still control everything. However, their shows were never licenesed by GSN so the matter of how much of those old shows still exist is an open question.
One Edwards production you'll never in a million years see on DVD or in repeats for that matter, is the Tom Kennedy hosted version of "Name That Tune" from the 70s (and which had Kathie Lee Gifford, then Johnson, as the vocalist). If you think music licensing is bad for a regular TV show, just imagine what it would be for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks