Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
704 replies to this topic

#41 of 705 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted September 01 2012 - 01:54 PM

Clearly, the proper course of action is to invent a new word that combines the best qualities of both phrases. Therefore, I humbly submit: "Digital Remastoration(TM)." I'm slapping a trademark on that right away. I expect reimbursement when studios start using it in their marketing materials, e.g. "This film has been digitally remastorated." :)

How about "This Film Has Been Restored. What's it to ya?"

#42 of 705 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 03:10 PM

Crusade?

Strike two.

#43 of 705 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 01 2012 - 03:19 PM

Strike two.

LOL and what exactly was the previous strike? I was kidding, but actually Crusade is my favorite of the series. Can't stand Doom and never saw Skull.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#44 of 705 OFFLINE   JustinFow

JustinFow

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 04:32 PM

How about (in a deep voice) "Digitally F&$k Yeaaaaahhhh!!!!"?

#45 of 705 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just read this interesting article the other day. Temple of Gloom - Why is the second Indiana Jones movie so dark? (at Grantland.com)

#46 of 705 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 04:55 PM

LOL and what exactly was the previous strike?

Malcolm had offered me his impending copy of Crystal Skull at an appropriately knock-down price. To which I, of course, gave an appropriately knock-down answer.

#47 of 705 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 05:35 PM

When a car has some scratches, a couple dents and needs some touch ups, it's called "body work". Maybe we can call this type of work "4K Digital Bodywork"? :-) Vincent

#48 of 705 OFFLINE   Albion

Albion

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 05:40 PM

If you look at my profile you will see Raiders as one of my favourite films, i have seen it well over 120 times over the years, at the cinema and on various formats, i am glad it is being treated to the best possible care and attention, i also hope, going by what has been said that we are getting a blu ray that resembles what's on the OCN and not a third generation cinema print ala Jaws, that's a matter of preference but i'd prefer to see a bit more than what you get from the average cinema print.

Yes I am always a little surprised that the maximum available information on the OCN is not utilised.I hope to that we get a very broad sweep of the OCN,and not a selective extraction. You mention Jaws was from a print .Did'nt they go back to the OCN for that. I thought so,but still quite a lot of info(left and right) was left off the Blu-ray release. Framed exactly the same way as previous DVD's. If your going to provide a high quality Blu-ray release after either restoring or re-visiting the negative,may as give us everthing that's on it. This comment recognises of course the feelings of many that this forum in general wants what was shown in cinemas,however I do think that giving us what's on the OCN in this and many other cases hardly compromises the directors ultimate vision.

#49 of 705 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 02 2012 - 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Albion 

Yes I am always a little surprised that the maximum available information on the OCN is not utilised.I hope to that we get a very broad sweep of the OCN,and not a selective extraction.
You mention Jaws was from a print .Did'nt they go back to the OCN for that. I thought so,but still quite a lot of info(left and right) was left off the Blu-ray release. Framed exactly the same way as previous DVD's.
If your going to provide a high quality Blu-ray release after either restoring or re-visiting the negative,may as give us everthing that's on it.
This comment recognises of course the feelings of many that this forum in general wants what was shown in cinemas,however I do think that giving us what's on the OCN in this and many other cases hardly compromises the directors ultimate vision.

For Jaws they scanned at 4K and then did a lot of work on it and part of that work appears to have been removing some of the film grain and having it resemble the average cinema print, everyone seems happy so who am i to moan about it, i hope it doesn't catch on, for a Universal release it looks fine and i think everyone was just happy that Universal didn't mess up big time, i wouldn't complain if it resembled an interpositive but Mr Harris says on the Jaws thread they went for a third or fourth generation cinema print look, maybe i misinterpreted him, if so i am sure he will pipe up in this thread.

As for the info left off the blu ray release at the sides, well i believe 2K is 2048pixels by 858 for a 2.35:1 film, instead of re-scaling which can introduce unwanted artifacts into the image i believe they just crop a little off the sides and top and bottom, a minimal amount, thus 2048 x 858 becomes 1920 x 804, this is why many films have a bit missing from the sides and a tiny amount missing top and bottom of the frame, probably within the intended safe frame composition, it can be jarring when you have seen the DVD version and it has a bit more but since that format already had sharpening applied ( unnecessary and not needed even on DVD ) and many other artifacts then a few more from downscaling doesn't matter. ( or does it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH 

Just read this interesting article the other day. Temple of Gloom - Why is the second Indiana Jones movie so dark? (at Grantland.com)
  My second favourite of the Indy series, i love Temple Of Doom and it's darker approach.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#50 of 705 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted September 02 2012 - 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post Clearly, the proper course of action is to invent a new word that combines the best qualities of both phrases. Therefore, I humbly submit: "Digital Remastoration™." I'm slapping a trademark on that right away. I expect reimbursement when studios start using it in their marketing materials, e.g. "This film has been digitally remastorated." That's good thinking, Josh, and I think robert harris would approve. But this could be improved on just a tad if we made it 'digitally remastorisated' .. those two extra letters do lend even more authority to the statement!

#51 of 705 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,734 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 02:26 AM

All I know is that this is a pretty good year for Blu-Ray. Jaws, E.T., and Indy. Add to that the complete Bond movies, Hitchcock set, and Universal monsters and I am one happy guy. Broke, but happy.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#52 of 705 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 03 2012 - 02:31 AM

How about renaming the "heavy-lifting" type of film restoration instead? Full-Throttle Restoration or Genesis II Restoration! Now that's exciting! "Full" or "Complete Restoration" might be more accurate, but wouldn't have as much sizzle.

Right. Just like the movies. 'Full-Throttle Restoration: Genesis II: The Redemption'

#53 of 705 OFFLINE   lutefiskwhisker

lutefiskwhisker

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 03:26 AM

Perhaps it can be referred to as a "Digital Recalibration" or "Digitally Remastered and Recalibrated" or "Uber Bits Version" :D ge

#54 of 705 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 04:46 AM

I vote for "Digitally Re-kajiggered"

#55 of 705 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,051 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 05:22 AM

Robert - Thanks for the post and additional information about the release. I am really looking forward to picking up this set!!!!

#56 of 705 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,734 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 05:35 AM

I heard that there may be a fifth Indy movie in the works. If so, I hope it is much better than Crystal Skull.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#57 of 705 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 03 2012 - 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Penna 
Maybe refurbishing? Renovation? Spring cleaning?

I like Renovation. It seems like a nice middle ground term between Restoration and Remastered.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#58 of 705 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 05:51 AM

Me too. Remastered implies untouched but freshly transferred. Renovation implies a new coat of paint and a bit of spit and polish. Restoration implies restored to its original condition. I'd suggest "Full Gamut" Restoration for work done to the OCN (or producing a new safety negative) as opposed to "Digital Restoration" which of course would be restricted to files producing mastering material.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#59 of 705 OFFLINE   JParker

JParker

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 06:41 AM

When a car has some scratches, a couple dents and needs some touch ups, it's called "body work". Maybe we can call this type of work "4K Digital Bodywork"? :-) Vincent

Why not "Digitally Detailed for Blu-ray" if we're using car analogies? It's more like clean up and polishing than anything else... For the marketing folks at Paramount, what about "New 4K scan" and "optimized for Blu-ray"? I'll be waiting for the individual films but it's possible Amazon will have a sale and offer this over 50% off a few months after release, or a few weeks, like this week's FOREVER MARILYN sale but it's possible it's due to Fox.

#60 of 705 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 03 2012 - 08:17 AM

If the final release on Blu ray resembles what was released at cinemas or what is on the OCN and nothing has been changed and they are using digital tools for the job then call it digitally restored, if they alter the look then call it digitally altered or a digital f*** up, they can also tell us the film scanning resolution and that would satisfy me.

Frankly it doesn't matter too much, it's all marketing bull, anyone remember "The look and sound of perfect" even when some of it was atrocious quality.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users