Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NAD 748...no sound...what the heck?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Number1AVdork

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 04:57 PM

Currently I don't have the other speakers ready... I though all I need to do is hook up some speakers to the main inputs. I hooked the speakers for two speakers to run in stereo for the time being. I hooked the speakers up to the front section of the amp. Next I hooked the rca cables up to the audio 1 input from the directv box. Now sound...nothing, no matter what input I select the amp doesn't get sound. All of this modern garbage is starting to make me mad. Can't the damn amplifier auto detect every input? Must I manually configure it some DOS looking setup menu. If that's the case I'm going to ditch the NAD and get a more user friendly setup. Maybe even one with more sophisticated calibration software. Even if it means more headaches. I thought the NAD would be plug and play. I a think I am wrong.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 01 2012 - 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Number1AVdork 

Currently I don't have the other speakers ready... I though all I need to do is hook up some speakers to the main inputs.

I hooked the speakers for two speakers to run in stereo for the time being. I hooked the speakers up to the front section of the amp. Next I hooked the rca cables up to the audio 1 input from the directv box.

Now sound...nothing, no matter what input I select the amp doesn't get sound. All of this modern garbage is starting to make me mad. Can't the damn amplifier auto detect every input? Must I manually configure it some DOS looking setup menu. If that's the case I'm going to ditch the NAD and get a more user friendly setup. Maybe even one with more sophisticated calibration software. Even if it means more headaches.

I thought the NAD would be plug and play. I a think I am wrong.

Is there an A+B switch that you need to hit for the speaker terminals?  What model of NAD are you using?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 05:40 AM

pardon my confusion but you stated you connected the speakers to the "front section of the amp". I went to the NAD site and looked at the pictures of the front and rear of your receiver and apparently the speaker connections are on the back. You also said you connected the speakers to "inputs", which is also wrong. If you bought your receiver used and don't have the manual you can download it from the NAD website--might help. Some receivers do require you to "assign" inputs, which isn't really plug and play but should be achievable if you follow the instructions.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.