What's new

The Dark Knight Rises -- are you disappointed? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Did the final chapter in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy live up to your expectations?
I lot of people have expressed disappointment there isn't more Bat-action, but others like the changes.
What's your reaction?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It was my favorite of the series.
Maybe it was a little light on Batman kicking butt in the middle of the movie but what was happening onscreen was still interesting enough that I had no complaints.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Was I disappointed?
Not really.
My belief that The Dark Knight was the pinnacle of the series proved to be true. (Of course since it was my prediction how else could it turn out? Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies! ;))
No villain could match the Joker's - want to see the world burn - lunatic motivation. No matter how well written and portrayed the antagonist of the next movie would be. For their ambitions would be more grounded.
Nolan realized this and I gave him full value for crafting a story that did not try to surpass TDK but put the focus on different themes. I applaud his ambition but the scope of what he set out to do surpasses the ability of one film to properly handle. Hence the fracture between the big story ideas and the personal character motivations.
My biggest problem with the film - most of the character resolutions are told rather than shown.
For example, we see little to no interaction between Batman and Catwoman throughout the movie to become invested in there being any sort of personal relationship between them. So the gravitas of that final shot has to be bookmarked by Alfred much earlier in the film to tell us how we should react to it emotionally.
Another weakness of the film is having the supposed big bad of the movie turn out to be a flunky for someone else. When that reveal occurred I could feel the pent up anticipation of the audience for a big climax deflate like a leaking balloon. Throw in a perfunctory exit of Bane and the quick dismissal of Talia and it all ends up being rather underwhelming.
Where the movie really disappointed for me was the action set pieces. None of them were memorable.
So overall my disappointed was only slight as TDKR had to start from a very difficult storytelling point.
I rate them BB > TDK > TDKR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks