What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hunger Games -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had not read The Hunger Games, nor did I see it theatrically, but from reports there were striking similarities between it and Battle Royale, which I did see.

Now that I've experienced THG, I'm seeing more differences than similarities. Trying not to read reviews, I kept somehow coming upon the discussion from various quarters, that it's lead, Jennifer Lawrence, who hit the big time in Winter's Bone, was "too big," or some such thing.

I found her perfectly cast. She's not exactly waif-like at 5' 9", but for the film, she's just right. Possibly there's something here about writers who feel discomfort if someone they're interviewing is taller than they are. I noted the same thing with one writer who was interviewing Kim Novak, and watched as his odd discomfort turned to antagonism.

[SIZE= 14px]The target audience for this film seems to be far [/SIZE][SIZE= 14px]larger than that for the books, which seemed [/SIZE][SIZE= 14px]oriented toward teen girls, but I could be wrong. The film, which is beautifully produced seems to be able to run the gamut from the teen audience into adults.[/SIZE]

Shot in a couple of different styles -- one more naturalistic, the other in higher contrast with interestingly blue blacks -- the film looks superb on Blu-ray. Shot on film (35/3), and taken to post as a 2k DI, I'm presuming that the Blu is a simple down-rez and adapted LUT.

In short, it looks terrific, with huge panoramas of digital set pieces.

Audio, which is DTS-HD Master 7.1, is huge, with a superbly rendered [SIZE= 14px]sound field, and heavy sub-sonics.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Great popular entertainment, making wonderful use of Ms. Lawrence, who appears to have five films in production or post at the moment, inclusive of the next installment of The Hunger Games, and a new X-Men. She's a very interesting talent to watch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Entertaining, beautifully produced Sci-Fi, that looks and sounds great on Blu-ray.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Recommended.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]RAH[/SIZE]

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not certain who the target audience is for this film. I believe the books were oriented toward teen girls, but I could be wrong. The film, which is beautifully produced seems to be able to run the gamut from the teen audience into adults.
Read the first book, haven't seen the film. I believe that the book is well crafted enough to work across multiple audiences and based on what I've read (including your post) the same holds true for the film adaptation. I'm certainly not in the 'teen girl' demographic but I found the book very entertaining. In particular I thought the book did a fine job of creating a protagonist that readers could identify with regardless of one's age or gender. Looking forward to viewing this film in the near future.
- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Now that I've experienced THG, I'm seeing more differences than similarities.  Trying not to read reviews, I kept somehow coming upon the discussion from various quarters, that it's lead, Jennifer Lawrence, who hit the big time in Winter's Bone, was "too big," or some such thing.
I found her perfectly cast.  She's not exactly waif-like at 5' 9", but for the film, she's just right.
From the book, I imagined someone younger and skinnier because Katniss is supposed to a 16-year-old who looks young for her age, and borderline starving, while Jennifer Lawrence was 20 when she filmed the movie and looks it. The only reason I think that matters is because a younger heroine makes it even more harrowing. That being said, there is certainly nothing to criticize about Ms. Lawrence's performance. She carries the film on her shoulders from beginning to end and absolutely nails it. Josh Hutcherson, who I also thought was too old, gives a very underrated performance that serves as a valuable counterweight to Ms. Lawrence's lead.
Amandla Stenberg, on the other hand, seemed to leap right out of my imagination as Rue. Absolutely perfect casting. Woody Harrelson didn't look anything like I imagine for Haymitch, but he's fantastic. And Donald Sutherland is perfect as President Snow. Calm, erudite, cultured and utterly ruthless.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/323359/a-few-words-about-the-hunger-games-in-blu-ray#post_3968209
From the book, I imagined someone younger and skinnier because Katniss is supposed to a 16-year-old who looks young for her age, and borderline starving, while Jennifer Lawrence was 20 when she filmed the movie and looks it. The only reason I think that matters is because a younger heroine makes it even more harrowing. That being said, there is certainly nothing to criticize about Ms. Lawrence's performance. She carries the film on her shoulders from beginning to end and absolutely nails it. Josh Hutcherson, who I also thought was too old, gives a very underrated performance that serves as a valuable counterweight to Ms. Lawrence's lead.
Amandla Stenberg, on the other hand, seemed to leap right out of my imagination as Rue. Absolutely perfect casting. Woody Harrelson didn't look anything like I imagine for Haymitch, but he's fantastic. And Donald Sutherland is perfect as President Snow. Calm, erudite, cultured and utterly ruthless.
IMHO, had Katniss been younger, more waif like, near starving, could she have fought as she did? I was very impressed with this young lady's performance. At several years older, Kate Hepburn, who was close to 5' 8" in her prime, was still overacting mightily.

With the right support, I believe Ms. Lawrence has a wonderful career ahead of her.

RAH

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's impossible to watch "Winter's Bone" and not recognize that Jennifer Lawrence is something special. I would argue the same is true with "The Hunger Games." There are certain expectations we have have of tall, leggy blonds in the movies, and she sidesteps all of them. She also brings a wonderful maternal presence to the screen when required, a quality that will serve her well once she ages out of the leading lady roles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've read the book one time so I'm certainly not a super knowledgable fan but my only gripe (for lack of a better word) between the book and the movie is that at the end of the story, I imagined Katniss looking sorta like McClane at the end of Die Hard- just a beaten, bloody pulp that can barely walk and the movie didn't go for that.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
I thought the movie was pretty cut and dry and blockbuster format. It really did nothing for me. It's a movie I watched once and don't see a point in watching over again. The characters were not all that involving or developed. I have not read the book. My family has read the books. They say that the relationship between the young girl and heroine of the movie was not developed at all.
I think it's safe to say the movie cut lots of corners. The special effects were not really that complimentary to the story. It was a dud. A long movie with no story being told, lots of action but no literary devices used. It was temporarily entertaining. The pop culture TV show format of the movie kind of wasted lots of time and did not tell any story. It was all showing and not telling...Not recommended.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
RAH, the books are worth a read. They movie cut short the relationship with Rue, and while no one is mentioning it, with her team of stylists. While I enjoyed the movie, it didn't capture the book as well as say the Lord of the Rings films did.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/323359/a-few-words-about-the-hunger-games-in-blu-ray#post_3969073
RAH, the books are worth a read. They movie cut short the relationship with Rue, and while no one is mentioning it, with her team of stylists. While I enjoyed the movie, it didn't capture the book as well as say the Lord of the Rings films did.
I'll take a look when I have a moment. thx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks