What's new

Blu-ray Review Agatha Christie's Poirot: Series 6 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

For the sixth series of Hercule Poirot adventures, the producers of the hit ITV series dipped into the two most prolific and masterful decades of Agatha Christie’s writing career for three of the four installments: the 1920s and the 1930s. The remaining mystery came from her more settled 1950s period, and indeed, that story, while extremely entertaining, constitutes Mrs. Christie at her least creative though only the most devoted mystery lovers will likely solve it before her famous Belgian sleuth gathers everyone together to announce his discoveries.

Agatha Christie’s Poirot: Series 6 (Blu-ray)
Directed by Edward Bennett, Andrew Grieve

Studio: Acorn Media
Year: 1995-1996
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 428 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo English
Subtitles:  SDH

Region: no designation
MSRP: $ 49.99

Release Date: August 28, 2012

Review Date: August 25, 2012

The Series

4.5/5

The season begins with one of Mrs. Christie’s famous locked room puzzles and this time with a holiday twist in Hercule Poirot’s Christmas though there is very little celebrating to be done in this vengeful tale of a patriarch of a large family who comes to a very violent and bloody end. As often happens with Poirot, the Belgian sleuth (David Suchet) was contacted by the victim hours before meeting his end, and once Poirot arrives on the scene assisted as usual by Chief Inspector Japp (Philip Jackson) of Scotland Yard, he finds a house filled with suspects who hated the wealthy old man as noted for his cruelty as he was for his riches. Viewers who pay careful attention will be able to solve this one, the easiest of this set’s four mysteries to decipher.

Christie’s 1955 Hickory Dickory Dock is one of the author’s famed nursery rhyme mysteries, but unlike Ten Little Indians or A Pocket Full of Rye, the mystery does not closely tie itself to the rhyme of the title. Instead, the crimes (a series of petty thefts and a couple of murders at a student hostel) seem ambiguous and unrelated until the legendary sleuth arranges all of the assorted loose puzzle pieces into a satisfying solution. He gets drawn into the case by his faithful secretary Miss Lemon (Pauline Moran) whose sister happens to run the student hostel where the crimes are occurring, and the different nationalities and career paths of the students make it a tricky puzzle for Poirot to traverse.

Murder on the Links was Agatha Christie’s second book about the Belgian sleuth (the first, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, has already appeared in the series), and once again Poirot is approached by a wealthy man who has concerns about his safety only for Poirot’s friend Arthur Hastings (Hugh Fraser) to find him dead on a golf course the following morning. The murder here, as would be in the case in many of Mrs. Christie’s short stories and novels in the decades to come, ties in to a crime which had been committed twenty years before, but the convolutions of the investigation make this the most complex of the stories to sort out, and before the final solution is reached, several arrests for the murder, some coming on false confessions, will further muddy the waters. Taking place in France, Poirot locks horns with the blustery, egotistical Inspector Giraud (Bill Moody) and bets his prized moustaches that he arrives first at the correct solution. This is also the case where Captain Hastings meets his future wife, one reason he’s missing from two of the four cases here and many of the subsequent books. Hastings and his wife move to Argentina to live and raise their family.

The set concludes with the most delightful (if murder can ever be considered delightful) of the mysteries in the set: Dumb Witness, the title character being an adorable wirehaired terrier named Bob who both Hastings and Poirot take a shine to. Once again, a head of family with a great deal of money is murdered having just changed her will to cut out the family members leaving it all to her female companion. There are lots of suspects among the bitter family members now bereft of funds, and Mrs. Christie’s fascination with spiritualism is also worked into the fabric of the mystery. But it’s the adorable Bob and Poirot’s handling of him that will most stay with the viewer of this very agreeable mystery.

David Suchet continues to be in complete command of the role and milks Poirot’s little wry jokes and also his pained expressions of muffled exasperation to delightful effect (watch him look with horror at the meat and potatoes meal Japp sets before him at the conclusion of Hickory Dickory Dock). Hugh Fraser may be as slow-witted as ever as the jovial Captain Hastings, but he’s irreplaceable in the role, and his sedate love affair in Murder on the Links is lovely to witness. Philip Jackson continues to amuse as Chief Inspector Japp, and Pauline Moran is the ever-efficient, no-nonsense secretary Miss Lemon, though neither she, Fraser, nor Jackson is in every episode in this set.

Video Quality

3.5/5

The episodes have been framed at their broadcast aspect ratio of 1.33:1 and are presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. The first two episodes, both contained on disc one, are the most problematic in the set. Hercule Poirot’s Christmas looks overly processed with complexions just this side of waxy and skin tones so pink they appear to be sprayed on. Hickory Dickory Dock doesn’t err in that direction but rather seems less consistently sharp with skin tones that look sometimes a bit on the yellow side. The remaining two features, both on disc two, are much more solid encodes with excellent sharpness, only a hint of pink skin tones in Dumb Witness, and admirable amounts of detail with good black levels. Each 107-minute episode has been divided into 10 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The liner notes state that this set contains PCM 2.0 stereo encodes, but what’s really here is a Dolby Digital 2.0 (256 kbps) stereo sound mix on each episode. The wonderful theme music, the well modulated sound effects, and the delightful background score by Christopher Gunning sound just fine in these new transfers, and there is no hiss or any other audio artifacts to intrude on understanding the dialogue, important when verbal clues become just as important as visual ones. One wonders, however, what happened to the PCM encodes from previous releases.

Special Features

0/5

Apart from promos for other Acorn mysteries series such as Midsomer Murders and Agatha Christie’s Marple, there are no bonus features on the disc.

In Conclusion

4/5 (not an average)

Agatha Christie’s Poirot: Series 6 is a welcome high definition release of the sixth season of movie-length episodes featuring the definitive Hercule Poirot of actor David Suchet. With the great improvement in picture from the original DVD releases and only an occasional misstep in processing, most will be happy with the undeniable upgrade in quality as these Poirot television broadcasts continue to be delivered on Blu-ray. Recommended!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Thanks Matt ! Did you notice the issue that was mentioned in the Blu-ray.com review ? A section of Murder on the Links is apparently taken from a much inferior source. I wonder how glaring the difference in quality is compared to the rest of the episode. My copy should arrive next week and so I should be able to find out for myself soon.
-D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Deepak Shenoy /t/323261/agatha-christies-poirot-series-6-blu-ray-review#post_3966563
Thanks Matt ! Did you notice the issue that was mentioned in the Blu-ray.com review ? A section of Murder on the Links is apparently taken from a much inferior source. I wonder how glaring the difference in quality is compared to the rest of the episode. My copy should arrive next week and so I should be able to find out for myself soon.
-D

I didn't notice, but perhaps I was too engrossed in the story and production to have caught it. I actually thought Murder on the Links was the best looking of the four installments in this set.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Thanks Matt ! If you didn't even notice it, then it may not be as bad as the other review makes it out to be. I will find out for myself next week.
-D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Just a FYI for those who have not picked up Series 1-5 yet. They are on sale at Amazon (52% off). Series 6 which just came out doesn't have much of a discount unfortunately.
-D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I had 3 and 5 in my cart and got them for the $23.99 discount to round out the set. I'll wait on 6 until the price comes down.
Is the movie set part of this series now, or will those episodes come out as part of a later series?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
If you are talking only about the Blu ray releases prior to Series 1-6, there is Movie Collection 6 and Murder on the Orient Express (released separately). The 4 episodes contained in these will eventually be released as Series 12.
-D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Series 6 is $44.99 on Amazon but B&N now has it for $29.99 (this title is included in their 40% off Blu-Ray sale).
-D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Amazon has Series 6 for $23.99. For those who have been waiting for the price drop, this is your chance.
Series 6 may be the last release for a while since apparently A&E still holds the rights to Series 7-10. Acorn is negotiating with them but who knows how long it will take for a deal to be made and for these releases to actually hit the shelves.
-D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Picked up Series 6 at the sale price, have been enjoying all these episodes quite a bit, and am very happy with Acorn's quality. Where, may I ask, are all the Hickson Marple episodes? I hope Acorn can pick those up too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer /t/323261/agatha-christies-poirot-series-6-blu-ray-review#post_3988509
Picked up Series 6 at the sale price, have been enjoying all these episodes quite a bit, and am very happy with Acorn's quality. Where, may I ask, are all the Hickson Marple episodes? I hope Acorn can pick those up too.
I would love to see the Joan Hickson/Marple series also remastered and on Blu-ray. There is no bigger fan of her work on those shows than I am, so I would cheer to the rafters if they were to appear at some point.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
MattH. said:
I would love to see the Joan Hickson/Marple series also remastered and on Blu-ray. There is no bigger fan of her work on those shows than I am, so I would cheer to the rafters if they were to appear at some point.
The unanswered question is does the original film exist, as it did with Poirot? Unlike ITN, BBC doesn't seem to have a great track record when it comes to preserving the original footage, e.g., Tinker Tailor http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/320276/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-1979-blu-ray-review:
A few things should be taken into consideration before viewing this Blu-ray edition of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. First and foremost, it was originally produced for British television, and never intended to be viewed on anything smaller than a 25-inch standard definition television set. Secondly, it was filmed and posted using 16mm film stock. Thirdly, a complete restoration would have been too costly for a program of this length and a niche studio such as Acorn. Lastly, the packaging indicates 1080p, and although both my PS3 and Panasonic BD60 provided a 1080p stream to my main television, my CyberLink Power DVD 9 software indicated 1080i.
I think the reviewer is incorrect; there was no film to remaster, hence the 1080i, only video. We'll have to wait and see now that Acorn owns an interest in Agathe Christie, Ltd. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/29/acorn-media-bys-stake-agatha-christie
Chorion has sold its 64% stake in the Agatha Christie estate, which includes the Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot characters, to US home entertainment company Acorn Media.
b953a2ff_Miss-Marple-007.jpeg

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I am very happy with Acorn's handling of Poirot so far, so if they now have a majority stake in the Christie holdings, the only things preventing more quality releases will be available elements and existing distribution agreements. For Poirot, it looks like series 7 and 8 could be released together as they were only 2 titles each, which only leaves 4 more left. Not sure how many Marples there are but I would probably get them all if they were of similar quality to the Poirits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks