What's new

HSU Subwoofer on the way... (1 Viewer)

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
I order the ULS-15. I hope it is as good as all the hype. The goal was to get tighter bass from the sealed box. I don't really expect to be pumping out 100dB of subsonic rap music or techno...Sure a few slams of movie soundtracks will be nice...But I have a hard time thinking I'd want more bass.
It will arrive sometime next week. I'll post an incomplete first impression review and then a full review when I integrate into the paradigm speaker setup. The dealer had to order the speakers.
I might even see if the dealer will let me bring the woofer to the show room. We could compare it to the 1400$ Paradigm Millenia Subwoofer. I saw the Millenia sub in person and it looked dainty...The woofers were oval shaped. It didn't strike me as a 1400$ subwoofer...I mean the cabinet didn't even weigh over 100LBS...
I understand the appeal is a compact easy to place woofer but if it won't deliver the goods what's the point. We'll see. I really don't want to knock the Millenia Woofer. I liked the Millenia speakers so much we ordered 5 of them for the theater setup. I just couldn't see how a tiny woofer like that could perform as well as the HSU.
We'll see. Also I didn't like how Paradigm charged an extra 120$ for the wireless accessory and then another 300$ for the bass optimizing software...Can't a guy just use a good old fashioned SPL meter and a make and make some adjustments?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Number1AVdork said:
I understand the appeal is a compact easy to place woofer but if it won't deliver the goods what's the point. We'll see. I really don't want to knock the Millenia Woofer. I liked the Millenia speakers so much we ordered 5 of them for the theater setup. I just couldn't see how a tiny woofer like that could perform as well as the HSU.
Congrats Umberto! 15 incher that goes to 15 Hz, nice, cant wait to hear your impressions. :)
And you won't see one of them tiny subwoofers perform like a true sub! In that way theyre kinda like the Bose acoustimass systems; great form factor, and high WAF, that will cost you a bundle and get you below average performance! When it comes to subs you just cant get around the old laws of physics and there is no substitute for a 12" or 15" driver in a good enclosure for epic bass. Still, dont be too down on Millenia...I think this $2000 Sunfire "subwoofer" is a far greater crime against consumers than a $1400 Millenia ;)

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
I hope the larger sub does the job. The real issue will be placement. If I mount in the corner it will be close to shelving...If I mount it away in the other corner it won't quite mesh with the Paradigm's...I want the mid's to sound cohesive. The woofer will also be picking up a lot of slack below 90HZ...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can't a guy just use a good old fashioned SPL meter and a make and make some adjustments?
That's what I did because I'm cheap. I used a free test tone generator to make a CD matching the frequencies of the free spreadsheet I was using to graph my sub's frequency response.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I will be interested in how the ULS-15 Handles the Organ Symphony #3 Demo on the CD you should get with the Sub..
I am also looking in to getting this Sub..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks