Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HSU Subwoofer on the way...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Number1AVdork

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 11:21 AM

I order the ULS-15. I hope it is as good as all the hype. The goal was to get tighter bass from the sealed box. I don't really expect to be pumping out 100dB of subsonic rap music or techno...Sure a few slams of movie soundtracks will be nice...But I have a hard time thinking I'd want more bass. It will arrive sometime next week. I'll post an incomplete first impression review and then a full review when I integrate into the paradigm speaker setup. The dealer had to order the speakers. I might even see if the dealer will let me bring the woofer to the show room. We could compare it to the 1400$ Paradigm Millenia Subwoofer. I saw the Millenia sub in person and it looked dainty...The woofers were oval shaped. It didn't strike me as a 1400$ subwoofer...I mean the cabinet didn't even weigh over 100LBS... I understand the appeal is a compact easy to place woofer but if it won't deliver the goods what's the point. We'll see. I really don't want to knock the Millenia Woofer. I liked the Millenia speakers so much we ordered 5 of them for the theater setup. I just couldn't see how a tiny woofer like that could perform as well as the HSU. We'll see. Also I didn't like how Paradigm charged an extra 120$ for the wireless accessory and then another 300$ for the bass optimizing software...Can't a guy just use a good old fashioned SPL meter and a make and make some adjustments?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted August 24 2012 - 01:56 PM

I understand the appeal is a compact easy to place woofer but if it won't deliver the goods what's the point. We'll see. I really don't want to knock the Millenia Woofer. I liked the Millenia speakers so much we ordered 5 of them for the theater setup. I just couldn't see how a tiny woofer like that could perform as well as the HSU.

Congrats Umberto! 15 incher that goes to 15 Hz, nice, cant wait to hear your impressions. :) And you won't see one of them tiny subwoofers perform like a true sub! In that way theyre kinda like the Bose acoustimass systems; great form factor, and high WAF, that will cost you a bundle and get you below average performance! When it comes to subs you just cant get around the old laws of physics and there is no substitute for a 12" or 15" driver in a good enclosure for epic bass. Still, dont be too down on Millenia...I think this $2000 Sunfire "subwoofer" is a far greater crime against consumers than a $1400 Millenia ;)
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Number1AVdork

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 26 2012 - 06:18 AM

I hope the larger sub does the job. The real issue will be placement. If I mount in the corner it will be close to shelving...If I mount it away in the other corner it won't quite mesh with the Paradigm's...I want the mid's to sound cohesive. The woofer will also be picking up a lot of slack below 90HZ...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 27 2012 - 08:03 AM

Can't a guy just use a good old fashioned SPL meter and a make and make some adjustments?

That's what I did because I'm cheap. I used a free test tone generator to make a CD matching the frequencies of the free spreadsheet I was using to graph my sub's frequency response.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   elwaylite

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 01:06 PM

Congrats. Ive owned a VTF2 and now a VTF15h, awesome sub.
Video: TC-P65GT30 / UD5007
Audio: Marantz SR6005 / Klipsch RF-82 II (2) / Klipsch RC-62 II / VTF-15H

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 31 2012 - 12:41 AM

I will be interested in how the ULS-15 Handles the Organ Symphony #3 Demo on the CD you should get with the Sub.. I am also looking in to getting this Sub..
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein