Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HAZEL S4 is coming to DVD on 12/11/2012, according to Shout's brand New website....see details below.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 01:34 PM

http://www.shoutfact.../?q=node/215701 All I can say is it's about time, but that should make S5, the final season, available right around the beginning of 2013, maybe in March.

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 03:25 PM

http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/215701 All I can say is it's about time, but that should make S5, the final season, available right around the beginning of 2013, maybe in March.

The end of Mr. and Mrs. Baxter before Christmas.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 03:35 PM

Season 5 is an absolute trainwreck with the new actors on there as I just saw the season on Antenna TV and what a difference a season made.

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 05:56 AM

Finally...we can all breathe a sigh of relief. And I hope there's a VERY short gap between S4-S5 just like there was between S2 and S3.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 01:55 PM

Finally...we can all breathe a sigh of relief. And I hope there's a VERY short gap between S4-S5 just like there was between S2 and S3.

I'm still predicting it comes out in March 2013 but maybe sooner or later, give or take a month for Season 5, the final season of the show. My question is this...will this be available mass retail or is this a Shout store exclusive? haven't seen this title on other retail outlets online, but only through their store.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 24 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'm still predicting it comes out in March 2013 but maybe sooner or later, give or take a month for Season 5, the final season of the show. My question is this...will this be available mass retail or is this a Shout store exclusive? haven't seen this title on other retail outlets online, but only through their store.

I would guess mass retail, because they usually don't announce Shout Select stuff this far out. Plus, there's no mention of it being a select title.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,582 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmw650 

Season 5 is an absolute trainwreck with the new actors on there as I just saw the season on Antenna TV and what a difference a season made.

Agreed.  I had a chance to see some of S5 a couple of years ago and I found it to be unwatchable.  This upcoming set will be the last for me, if I even get it.  But no way I'd go past it.

Gary "of course, that's only my personal view" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,508 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 25 2012 - 04:22 AM

There were two shows from this era that moved from NBC over to CBS in their final seasons: Hazel and Get Smart. And while I wouldn't call the last season of Get Smart unwatchable, it was just plain weird to see both shows airing on CBS. Something wasn't right. It was as if both shows had peacefully ended their natural NBC lifespan and were now walking zombies invading another network's lineup. Who were these two young upstarts calling themselves "Mr and Mrs. Baxter" and running roughshod over Hazel and why wasn't she contacting Kevin McCarthy to warn them about these imposters. "What have they done with Missy and Mr. B?!" In the case of Get Smart, season five had a revised opening, and now Max and 99 were parents pushing strollers around. It was still funny enough, but as Lisa Simpson once commented about Itchy and Scratchy, they "had lost their edge." It didn't help Get Smart that by this point, CBS's comedy lineup was dying on the vine from too many comedies in similar states like The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction -- shows that were just going through the motions after the point when they should have quietly called it a day. I'll be getting Hazel just to complete the series, but that last season is like another show. I keep waiting for Hazel to awaken from a bad dream and find Don DeFore in the shower.

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted August 25 2012 - 06:30 AM

Rob, I saw the first episode of S5 on Antenna TV and it just made no sense at all. The plotlines were ridiculous as they had the original couple moving to Baghdad, Iraq (I kid you not) and I'm wondering to myself, who the hell are these actors and what happened to the original cast and now they added new cast members of the show? I also heard the show somehow did well enough to earn a sixth season but the lady who played Hazel was not doing too well healthwise and CBS decided to cancel it without any fanfare, but yes, S5 was just awful and the goofy thing was, it had three more episodes in that season than the 4th season...29 vs 26 respectively.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   quantam

quantam

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 25 2012 - 03:07 PM

So why keep erasing facts ? is this board nothing more than a shill for corporations ? Read the box - it says they used VIDEO elements for season 3 - the show HAZEL was produced on FILM - so SHOUT crapped over everyone using the crappiest prints they could find, rather then using readily available 1080p prints

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 25 2012 - 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by quantam 

So why keep erasing facts ? is this board nothing more than a shill for corporations ?

Read the box - it says they used VIDEO elements for season 3 - the show HAZEL was produced on FILM - so SHOUT crapped over everyone using the crappiest prints they could find, rather then using readily available 1080p prints

HTF is not a shill for corporations, but we don't take kindly to people registering with the sole intent to bashing studios/distributors in their first post, then re-registering to do it again.  Just because a 1080p print exists doesn't mean that its necessarily complete or that you are allowed to use it.  Shout was very clear that they used video elements as the basis for the release.  No one would have had a problem if you had said something along the lines of "Why is shout factory using video instead of the readily available 1080p prints that I know exist because (provide more info)".

Brian from Shout Factory! already had this to say about it:

We're provided masters from the studios and don't have infinite budgets to go back and restore everything from original film elements. We are, after all, an indie label. Further, there are no guarantees that the original film elements of some of these series even still exist. We've come across SEVERAL shows that have evidence to the contrary, some not even as old as Hazel.

As for the quality of our masters versus those on TV, we'll have to take your word for it. We don't peruse the individual TV stations, but we do compare and contrast the multiple masters available for any given episode and then use the best one.

Brian

#12 of 27 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted August 25 2012 - 05:46 PM

they had the original couple moving to Baghdad, Iraq (I kid you not)

That's not quite as silly sounding for the mid-1960s as it would be now. Iraq and Iran were more western-oriented cosmpolitan societies in those days with many foreign business investors, as were countries like Libya for that matter.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted August 26 2012 - 02:59 AM

I just pretend Season Five of HAZEL is a new series and don't compare it to the other four seasons. It's still not very good, but I don't think it's quite as awful that way. CBS gave it the best slot on its schedule, on Mondays following The Lucy Show (#3) and The Andy Griffith Show (#6). Hazel didn't even make the Top 25, so it was losing a huge chunk of the ratings. I think it came to its natural end.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 09:11 AM

It's been nearly 4 months since S4 came out; I'm starting to worry that HAZEL has become a casualty and Sony has decided to end their deal with Shout. Any inside info on this? I really was hoping to complete the series. I wish they had began with HAZEL instead of DENNIS so we could have had all 5 seasons by now.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 03:29 PM

I didn't even know Sony and Shout ended their agreements as maybe a new group or firm like Timeless or Olive or whemever can now take over the rights and responsibilities of releasing future seasons of these classic programs. I've seen Shout releasing a lot more animated stuff as of late, but hoping a new studio takes over to continue releasing the classics.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 08:55 AM

Good news for those waiting on Season Five. Here is what a Shout rep stated on their Facebook page in response to another poster:

Hazel will be released, but we haven't announced a date. Rhoda isn't in the plans at this time.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   gogo.there

gogo.there

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 11:31 AM

HTF is not a shill for corporations, but we don't take kindly to people registering with the sole intent to bashing studios/distributors in their first post, then re-registering to do it again.  Just because a 1080p print exists doesn't mean that its necessarily complete or that you are allowed to use it.  Shout was very clear that they used video elements as the basis for the release.  No one would have had a problem if you had said something along the lines of "Why is shout factory using video instead of the readily available 1080p prints that I know exist because (provide more info)".

Brian from Shout Factory! already had this to say about it:

Brian Ward lied / tried to compare apples and oranges -  they had HD 1080p film prints made available to them - SHOUT did not have to spend NOTHING on remastering the elements, the cost for the film vs video elements would have been an extra 5-10 grand,  hardly a deal breaker,

SHOUT is just a cheapo outfit - they wasted tons of money on aquiring TIMELESS and they have lost a lot of money from that - so they cheap out on releases to try and make it back

Also on season 2 they never admitted using video elements, it was not till people chewed them out that finally they admitted to their con.

Edited by gogo.there, September 11 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 02:38 PM

Just a damn shame that Rhoda Season 5 is still on the backburner but still not losing out hope they do release it sometime next year.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:29 AM

Brian Ward lied / tried to compare apples and oranges -  they had HD 1080p film prints made available to them - SHOUT did not have to spend NOTHING on remastering the elements, the cost for the film vs video elements would have been an extra 5-10 grand,  hardly a deal breaker,

SHOUT is just a cheapo outfit - they wasted tons of money on aquiring TIMELESS and they have lost a lot of money from that - so they cheap out on releases to try and make it back

Any basis for any of those assertions.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:35 AM

Also on season 2 they never admitted using video elements, it was not till people chewed them out that finally they admitted to their con.

*APPLAUSE*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users