Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Difference between DTS & DD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 PaulKH

PaulKH

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted December 25 2001 - 03:00 PM

Hi. I thought DTS has 20 bit audio and DD is 16 bit (both being 48KHz each for the 5 channels). Is that right? I can't decode DTS today and am debating about upgrading my receiver.

While I'm here, why is there a new pro-logic format DPL-II? Surely that type of format is obsoleted by 5.1 formats?

Thanks for patience with dumb questions.

#2 of 11 Sebastien David

Sebastien David

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted December 25 2001 - 03:46 PM

while i know DTS has less compression than Dolby Digital, I can't and won't go into the detailed explanations of the differences between the two.

the reason there is a Prologic2 is because we still have two-channel sources, such as CDs, VHS tapes, TV, etc. it is then still useful to have a system like PL2 that takes those two-channel sources and brings them to a new level of enjoyment.

#3 of 11 Jon D

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted December 25 2001 - 05:04 PM

Overall, I have found very little difference between the two formats. DTS tends to be louder, due to the lack of dialnorm. On my system, bass also sounds slightly tighter, but only slightly. However, DTS channel signals are recorded at different levels than DD, which can lead to problems if your reciever is not configured properly (especially the LFE channel).
"It's got sex, it's got violence, it's got the ethnic angle......."

"Yeah, so does a lady wrestler with a foreign accent"

#4 of 11 Sebastien David

Sebastien David

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted December 25 2001 - 05:47 PM

I have found a definite difference between DD and DTS especially in the high frequencies. compared both versions of the mix of Titan A.E. and there was a marked increase in high-frequency signal that I could easily detect even with my low-end Sony speakers.

#5 of 11 PaulKH

PaulKH

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 01:40 AM

Sebastian - thanks, but that might just be due to different mastering, not technical differences.

Does no one know the technical difference though? Is there more bits per sample on DTS for example?

#6 of 11 David Cohn

David Cohn

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 02:02 AM

If you really want a detailed comparison, you might try the websites of Digital Theater Systems or Dolby.

AFA Dolby Pro Logic II, it really is a step up for non-Dolby Digital source material. Just got my Denon 2802 on Monday and have been playing around with the new processing.

DPL II Cinema is pretty good. Haven't had much time to play around with it yet but it does sound better than regular Pro Logic.

DPL II Music is simply awesome. Works great with two-channel CDs. Has adjustable parameters for all sorts of good stuff (e.g. center channel usage, panorama effect, depth). Sting's Ten Summoners Tales was like hearing it for the first time ... excellent use of the surround channels.

#7 of 11 PaulKH

PaulKH

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 01:13 PM

David, thanks for the info on DPL II - I take it this mode changes how DPL (I) is interpreted? Or is the material you're playing encoded in DPL II? Sounds like you're using this DPL II mode with any 2 channel format/content.

#8 of 11 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 03:29 PM

Yes, DPL2 is a decoding scheme for existing 2-channel sources. It's intended for use with any 2-channel recording.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 11 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,029 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 03:36 PM

I have heard the acusations of DTS having louder levels and I do not believe it is true. DTS contains more information and has smother, lower bass. And crisper highs with better seperation. DTS is 20 bit per/channel verse 16 bit with DD. I have not heard Dolby ProLogic 2 so I do not know how much better it is? I currently use a Yamaha 995 receiver, Pioneer DVD and Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater speakers. I defenantly can hear a differance between DTS and DD. Even with Phantom Menace in DD I am not impressed! I personally listen to movies more at home if they are in DTS. DTS to me is high end and DD is standard fedelity.

Dave M
moritz_dave@hotmail.com
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#10 of 11 Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 07:29 PM

To answer the original question, both Dolby Digital and DTS are capable or reproducing between 16 and 24-bit audio. The specifics of the master used are at the discretion of the studios.

Quote:
I have heard the acusations of DTS having louder levels and I do not believe it is true.

This is in fact generally the case. As stated above, this difference in volume (usually between 4 and 9dB) is normally associated with Dolby Digital's dialnorm attenuation system.

Quote:
I have found a definite difference between DD and DTS especially in the high frequencies. compared both versions of the mix of Titan A.E. and there was a marked increase in high-frequency signal that I could easily detect even with my low-end Sony speakers.

This actually runs counter to the technical differences between the two. DTS at its most common bit-rate (as found on Titan AE) actually has a lower frequency response than Dolby Digital at its common bit-rate.

For a more detailed comparison of the two systems, try reading this article.

Adam

#11 of 11 Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted December 26 2001 - 10:05 PM

I also, will not go into whether or not one format is superior. Do a search on "DD vs DTS" and you get more than enough data to help you make an informed decision. It's worth the time before you spend the $.

FWIW, I would not upgrade ONLY to get DTS capabilities. If on the other hand, your receiver has some other shortcomings, it's probably worth considering. Like if it's underpowered, has a bad color, a cheezy remote, or another reason that MIGHT fly with the significant other. Also, if you have a butt-load of money and that type of expense is not a big deal, it might be worth upgrading ONLY for DTS.

Forum Nav Content I Follow