Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Harvey -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 of 48 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 01:05 AM

I wish I had the disposable income to buy everything I wanted when I wanted it, but I dont.

Am there, do that, got the teeshirt too. Admittedly being single I don't get tut-tutted at but I still have to budget what disposable income I have. Fortunately I have enough slack this month for a 6'3" invisible rabbit and his dipsomaniac best friend.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#22 of 48 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 05:23 AM

During this time and in a work-related scenario, I had a disagreement with a female colleague. At the end of the disagreement she said, "thank you for being frank with me." I then replied, "I'm not Frank - Frank is the invisible rabbit sitting next to you." She looked. She then saw that I'd seen her look for the invisible rabbit. The following year all my work colleagues were invited to this womans wedding - all except me. I'd seen her look for the invisible rabbit.

This is a very interesting anecdote, but I'm sure I speak for all of us when I ask: "Did Frank receive an invitation?"

#23 of 48 OFFLINE   RobHam

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted August 27 2012 - 05:28 AM

I've just had a critical look at the dvd - occasional scratches and muck on the print and some aliasing. Sound seems fine. Hard job justifying it as an upgrade "Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back." I'll end up watching the damn thing now.

#24 of 48 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'll end up watching the damn thing now.

Well, if that's the way you feel about the movie, I'd agree it would be a waste of resources upgrading. ;) And I expect Frank didn't tell you he went to the wedding to spare your feelings.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#25 of 48 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 28 2012 - 12:24 PM

Just so everybody knows, Barnes & Noble currently has Harvey at 40 percent off. If you combine it with a member coupon and the $3 Universal coupon from previous 100th anniversary releases, you can bring this one home for under $12 before sales tax.

#26 of 48 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,063 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 28 2012 - 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Just so everybody knows, Barnes & Noble currently has Harvey at 40 percent off. If you combine it with a member coupon and the $3 Universal coupon from previous 100th anniversary releases, you can bring this one home for under $12 before sales tax.

Did you do this already?     I've never known BN to accept MQ in the past.

That said -- there are also some % off coupons available at LASERMOVIES BN Master coupon thread on DVDTalk (20% member and 15% nonmember) that are dated to start 8/30, but

already appear active.   The coupons appear to work instore, but the online codes do not appear to work.

Potentially -- $16.19  - 10% member discount - 20% member coupon = $11.66

Another option is the BN Buzz code $5 off $15 which would drop it to 11.19 (obviously don't use your member discount).

The other problem might be finding it in-store.   None of my usual stores list it in-stock and a FWIW, the same deal and price can be had with Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein

Don't want to derail the discussion thread, but since Adam started it, I'll pile on.

#27 of 48 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 28 2012 - 01:14 PM

What's the B&N Buzz code thing?  I'm not familiar with that one.

#28 of 48 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,063 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 28 2012 - 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

What's the B&N Buzz code thing?  I'm not familiar with that one.

http://www.visa.com/barnesandnoble/

It's a VISA program you sign up.   Supposedly it tracks some purchase on a card you link.   I just used a card I don't I've made a purchase on in 4 years and

don't really plan to use.   I think some folks may even have gotten by with a Prepaid VISA.   Enter your text capable phone number and they'll send you a text with

a message and the discount code.   It say use within 7 days to get $5 off $15 purchase.   Apparently the code hasn't changed in many months and several folks

have used it more than once.

Recently several folks received a 15% code though I don't think I got that one.   There also some Twitter and Facebook stuff I know nothing about so there may be

some other perks or offers.

#29 of 48 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 28 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, David.

#30 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 02:11 AM

I could have sworn I read that the Universal centennial "restorations" were all being done in 4K...

#31 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 02:16 AM

Never mind, it looks like Harvey wasn't one of the 13

#32 of 48 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,821 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 04:31 AM

Not all of the 13 were done in 4K.  Some were 2K.

Not all of them are what we should properly call restorations.  But from what I've seen, the 13 break down as:

To Kill A Mockingbird - Yes

All Quiet on the Western Front - Yes

Out of Africa (re-do) - No, just a great improvement on what had been released in 2010

Buck Privates - Yes, but not as successful as the other titles

Pillow Talk - Yes

The Sting - No

Jaws - Yes

The Birds - Not Seen Yet

Dracula - Not Seen Yet

Dracula (Spanish) - Not Seen Yet

Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet

Bride of Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet

Schindler's List - Not coming til 2013

#33 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 06:06 AM

Not all of the 13 were done in 4K.  Some were 2K.  Not all of them are what we should properly call restorations.  But from what I've seen, the 13 break down as: To Kill A Mockingbird - Yes All Quiet on the Western Front - Yes Out of Africa (re-do) - No, just a great improvement on what had been released in 2010 Buck Privates - Yes, but not as successful as the other titles Pillow Talk - Yes The Sting - No Jaws - Yes The Birds - Not Seen Yet Dracula - Not Seen Yet Dracula (Spanish) - Not Seen Yet Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet Bride of Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet Schindler's List - Not coming til 2013

Thanks Kevin. Good info. Hopefully ET is coming from a recent master

#34 of 48 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Calvert 

Thanks Kevin. Good info.
Hopefully ET is coming from a recent master

Sorry.  Not recent.  New.

4k Arri scan - 4k workflow - original negative.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#35 of 48 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,047 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 31 2012 - 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

Sorry.  Not recent.  New.

4k Arri scan - 4k workflow - original negative.

RAH

That's all what's needed, right?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#36 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 06:20 AM

Sorry.  Not recent.  New. 4k Arri scan - 4k workflow - original negative. RAH

Great then. Just wondering why it wasn't listed as part of the Centennial "13" (I guess because then it would the Centennial "14" :))

#37 of 48 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Calvert 

Great then. Just wondering why it wasn't listed as part of the Centennial "13" (I guess because then it would the Centennial "14" Posted Image)

Or more.  But who's counting?

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#38 of 48 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 04 2012 - 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

Can't wait to read KevinEK's remarks when he reviews, which I presume will be over the weekend, after his 16 hour days.

RAH

Kevin's review was posted this weekend: http://www.hometheat...hly-recommended

#39 of 48 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 10 2012 - 06:32 AM

Harvey arrived today (all 6' 8" of him) and I'm thrilled to bits. Looks and sounds quite excellent, and the film is simply magical. Odd that as a child I was *immensely* frustrated by the absence on screen of a tall white rabbit, but now I accept *totally* the presence of the pooka the moment he makes his entrance. What a film, what performances, what a lovely script; there are a number of tantalising clips in HD in the accompanying documentaries - I wouldn't mind seeing Winchester '73 on BD. Right now.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#40 of 48 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:04 AM

I''m wondering where the 6'8" comes from? IIRC, Harvey is repeatedly referred to in the film as being a "six-foot rabbit", and at one point Dowd corrects Miss Kelley saying "Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users