Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Naked City - new 10DVD set coming in November

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 of 116 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well....I wish some one that works for Image would keep track of what has been released and only release future sets of previously unreleased NC episodes.

#42 of 116 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 08 2013 - 07:44 PM

You said it all....couldn't agree more.
Thanks, Roy...Steven Bowie's blog essay is admirably eloquent when he cites Naked City and Route 66 as "the most important American television project of the sixties" and "the ones I come back to most often when I want to know what people felt then, and how their lives actually looked"
The following essay regarding the convoluted history of the "rights" and best available prints of Herbert B. Leonard's "Naked City" leads me to believe that we may never see a proper, complete release of "Naked City", sad to say. http://classictvhist...-precious-fish/
Thank you sessal for re-posting this link to Steven Bowie's great and insightful essay...I do remember reading this convoluted reconstruction of the rights history, but got it wrong about Shout's involvement...sorry to John DeAngelis for adding to the confusion...
Well....I wish some one that works for Image would keep track of what has been released and only release future sets of previously unreleased NC episodes.
Roy, I hope that the new release from Image is perhaps them attempting to guage the residual marketplace interest in their Naked City property...if the sales are strong, maybe they'll give us season sets, or at least, more hodge podge compilations...the new to dvd episodes on some of the 20 episode set have clearly not been remastered but are good enough for me... I'll take what I can get with this great show...I purchased the Route 66 complete series from Shout after buying all the previous Roxbury/Infinity releases...Image, please give us more Naked City!

#43 of 116 OFFLINE   sessal

sessal

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 01:42 AM

Roy, I hope that the new release from Image is perhaps them attempting to guage the residual marketplace interest in their Naked City property...if the sales are strong, maybe they'll give us season sets, or at least, more hodge podge compilations...the new to dvd episodes on some of the 20 episode set have clearly not been remastered but are good enough for me... I'll take what I can get with this great show....Image, please give us more Naked City!
Totally agree. The new releases might be a "trial balloon" to determine whether or not more releases - or a complete series - would be justified. Meanwhile, I'm quite happy to own the new sets, especially since I've only recently gotten into "Naked City" via reruns on RTV and was unaware of Image's sets released in the early 2000s.

#44 of 116 OFFLINE   PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 01:28 PM

Naked City season two has just started airing again in Australia. (It was previously shown on a different station back in the late 80's/early 90's) The episodes, with commercials edited out, are running a misely 43 and 3/4 minutes in PAL speed. So that's approximately 5 minutes missing from each episode. That, to my mind is criminal! I was intending to record the episodes not yet released on DVD so I'm very disappointed. Just wondering what the running time is without ads on RTV?

#45 of 116 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 11 2013 - 07:46 PM

Naked City season two has just started airing again in Australia. (It was previously shown on a different station back in the late 80's/early 90's) The episodes, with commercials edited out, are running a misely 43 and 3/4 minutes in PAL speed. So that's approximately 5 minutes missing from each episode. That, to my mind is criminal! I was intending to record the episodes not yet released on DVD so I'm very disappointed. Just wondering what the running time is without ads on RTV?
Patrick, I was wondering if those short program running times are a combination of about 90 seconds to 2 and a half minutes sucessively being edited out for syndication over the years, way back in the '70s and '80s...and since then having what was left being time compressed the usual 10 per cent?...I hate all of that being done, but I would prefer time compression...at least it wouldn't be subject to a disinterested and capricious editing where critical scenes, continuity and character development and story exposition were at the mercy of maniac cutting...even with that barbarism, I don't see how a 50-51 minute film could remain coherent when savaged to that degree...

#46 of 116 OFFLINE   PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi Randall. I hear what you’re saying and this might be plausible in some instances but I doubt it in this case here. When the series was rebroadcasted here back in the 80’s and 90’s, the prints were rawer looking (although quite excellent quality considering the age) and lighter in contrast. These current prints however (and the same with the first season) are very sharp looking with picture clarity and reasonable audio (although it seems the audio has been put through a noise reduction filter as the sound levels tend to be quite low in parts – not unusual in re-mastered DVDs to eliminate tape hiss) and darker in contrast. Not dissimilar to the recent Route 66 rebroadcasts. These have definitely come from a master source at some stage but have been mutilated in the syndication process. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but my guess would be that these may be the same syndication prints as shown on RTV. I would like to know how the powers to be determine what parts of a story should be edited out. I guess they concentrate on scenes that they deem don’t lose anything in the plot construction. However, I’ve found through other classic shows (that I know very well scene by scene) that I’ve seen syndicated and edited, this isn’t always the case. I know it can vary but character development as you pointed out, Randall, seems to be the most common element I’ve found edited sadly.

#47 of 116 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 07:04 PM

Here's the list of episodes, and how they correspond to the original releases:

[*]Death of Princes, Debt of Honor, The Man Who Bit a Diamond in Half, Murder Is a Face I Know (A Death of Princes)
    [*]A Hole in the City, Button in the Haystack, Shoes for Vinnie Winford, Vengeance Is a Wheel (Button in the Haystack)
    [*]New York to L.A., The Hot Minerva, The Night the Saints Lost Their Halos, A Case Study of Two Savages (New York to LA)
    [*]The Fingers of Henri Tourelle, Which Is Joseph Creely?, Requiem for a Sunday Afternoon, Ooftus Goofus (Box Set 1, disc 2)
    [*]The Face of the Enemy, The Contract, Let Me Die Before I Wake, To Walk Like a Lion (Box Set 1, disc 3)
    [*]Prime of Life, The One Marked Hot Gives Cold, Hold for Gloria Christmas, A Horse Has a Big Head - Let Him Worry (Prime of Life)
    [*]Portrait of a Painter, Alive and Still a Second Lieutenant, Don't Knock it Till You've Tried It, The Tragic Success of Alfred Tiloff (Portrait of a Painter)
    [*]Spectre of the Roses Street Gang, Goodbye Mama, Hello Auntie Maud, Torment Him Much and Hold Him Long, Five Cranks for Winter, Ten Cranks for Spring (Spectre of the Roses Street Gang)
    [*]The Virtues of Madame Douvay, King Stanislaus and the Knights of the Round Table, Her Life in Moving Pictures, Robin Hood and the Clanence Darrow (Box Set 3, disc 1)
    [*]The S.S. American Dream, One Two Three Rita Rakahowski, Golden Lads and Girls, Barefoot on a Bed of Coals (Box Set 3, disc 3)
    [/list]

I had been waiting for years for season sets and therefore passed on the original releases.  However it appears that perhaps we may not likely see season sets or a complete series release for this show for a very long time if ever.  In addition, finding out that the original commercials were included in the original sets now has me more interested in buying whatever DVDs are available.

Are the discs in the new 10 DVD Best of set identical to the original releases?  I am specifically referring to the original commercials which were apparently included in those previous DVDs. 

Also, does the 5 disc set 20 Star-Filled episodes include the original commercials?

Edited by Cheetah, March 26 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#48 of 116 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:07 PM

No, there are no commercials or bonus materials in these new releases and the new episodes not previously made available on DVD don't look as sharp as the ones from the earlier releases did.

#49 of 116 OFFLINE   John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:17 AM

No, there are no commercials or bonus materials in these new releases and the new episodes not previously made available on DVD don't look as sharp as the ones from the earlier releases did.

Actually, some of the discs in the 10-DVD set have the bonus commercials that were included with some of the earlier Naked City DVDs. And as for anyone sitting on the fence regarding the purchase of these new sets, I urge you to take a chance.  I bought the 10-DVD set because I was missing two of the origiginal single-dvd releases and I've been captivated by all these great episodes. 

#50 of 116 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 09:47 AM

I was referring to the fact that the newly released episodes that had *never* been on DVD before do not have commercials.   I should have made that point clear.

#51 of 116 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 10:05 AM

Actually, some of the discs in the 10-DVD set have the bonus commercials that were included with some of the earlier Naked City DVDs. And as for anyone sitting on the fence regarding the purchase of these new sets, I urge you to take a chance.  I bought the 10-DVD set because I was missing two of the origiginal single-dvd releases and I've been captivated by all these great episodes. 

Thanks for the responses guys.

After going back and reading the reviews of the earlier sets on dvdtalk.com, there seems to be no mention of the commercials being included on the single disc releases or any other extra for that matter.  However, only two single disc releases were reviewed (Portrait of a Painter & Spectre of the Roses Street Gang).  Then for the reviews of Sets 1, 2 & 3 there is a mention of the original commercials and sponsor bits being included.  Is it possible that the original commercials were only included in Sets 1, 2 & 3 and none of the single DVD releases have them?  

If so then could this explain why only some of the discs in the 10-DVD set have the original commercials included?  

Also, if this is correct then it would make sense that perhaps only the following four discs in the 10-DVD set have the original commercials.  From what was posted on here by Guy, he stated that the other six discs were sourced from the single disc releases. 

The Fingers of Henri Tourelle, Which Is Joseph Creely?, Requiem for a Sunday Afternoon, Ooftus Goofus (Box Set 1, disc 2)  

The Face of the Enemy, The Contract, Let Me Die Before I Wake, To Walk Like a Lion (Box Set 1, disc 3)

The Virtues of Madame Douvay, King Stanislaus and the Knights of the Round Table, Her Life in Moving Pictures, Robin Hood and the Clanence Darrow (Box Set 3, disc 1)

The S.S. American Dream, One Two Three Rita Rakahowski, Golden Lads and Girls, Barefoot on a Bed of Coals (Box Set 3, disc 3)

Can anyone confirm if my suspicions are correct?

#52 of 116 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well I spotted a listing for the three original box sets combined on eBay used for $50 and I just ordered them.  I see that set 3 is going for almost double that price or more separately depending on whether it is new or used.  Whether or not all the original commercials are included in the 10 DVD Best of set which are in the previous sets, there are of course 4 episodes from Box Set 1 not included on it, 4 episodes from Box Set 3 not included and I think 11 episodes from Box Set 2 not ported over onto the two latest releases.

Now can anyone confirm whether there are any original commercials or any other extras included on any of the six original single disc releases?  If it's the episodes and nothing more then I will go ahead and purchase the 10 DVD Best of set in their place along with the 20 Star Filled Episodes set.  

For such a classic series this show obviously deserves much better than how it has been so far released onto DVD.

#53 of 116 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 10:25 AM

Now can anyone confirm whether there are any original commercials or any other extras included on any of the six original single disc releases?  If it's the episodes and nothing more then I will go ahead and purchase the 10 DVD Best of set in their place along with the 20 Star Filled Episodes set. 

No commercials or Network IDs are included on the original single-disc releases (unfortunately!  I thought they added a lot to the viewing experience on the multi-disc sets).

#54 of 116 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,483 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 28 2013 - 10:57 AM

Do the three Image multi-disc sets have different content from the Image individual DVDs?  I forget what I once researched and figured out about this, and want to start catching up on whatever I need to buy to have all available episodes.

Edited by Charles Smith, March 28 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#55 of 116 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yes, there's no overlap between the original Image single-disc releases and the three Image 3-disc sets.  If you can find them, you can grab them all w/o duplicating episodes.

#56 of 116 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the response Guy. 

A couple of days ago I e-mailed the customer service department at Image Entertainment and among other things asked if there are any plans to release the series in season sets or as a complete series.  Just minutes ago I received a very interesting response from someone named Aaron Jones and this is what he had said.

You are correct: Image/RLJ does in fact own the Naked City series.

There are plans in the future to release each season individually as well as a series boxset. Also, we will be releasing them digitally. At this time, the release schedule is still being worked out.

Please feel free to check our websites for new release updates. You can sign-up for an e-blast newsletter at www.watchimage.com

#57 of 116 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,713 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the response Guy. 

A couple of days ago I e-mailed the customer service department at Image Entertainment and among other things asked if there are any plans to release the series in season sets or as a complete series.  Just minutes ago I received a very interesting response from someone named Aaron Jones and this is what he had said.

Wow!!  What an UNOFFICIAL announcement.  Would be fantastic if true.  Especially to see the half hour seasons.

Edited by Richard V, March 29 2013 - 08:44 AM.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#58 of 116 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wow!  It would be great if they'd release all the seasons properly!  I'd be willing to double-dip just so that I could finally get it all.  I'd love it if they would remaster them like the old releases, but I'll take what I can get!

#59 of 116 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:42 AM

Interesting - I hope this materializes.

Edited by Mike*HTF, March 29 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#60 of 116 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm confused. Did this reply get removed because it was misunderstood or what?   What was the reply?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users