-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RIP: Tony Scott

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,609 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 04:31 PM

Just saw on the web that director Tony Scott is dead in an apparent suicide. Very surprising and shocking. Tony Scott dies in apparent suicide
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#2 of 15 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,117 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 19 2012 - 04:46 PM

Shocking how it was done. It's strange but before I went to the movies tonight I was reading something saying he and Cruise were working on TOP GUN 2 and then I get home and see this.

#3 of 15 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,046 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted August 19 2012 - 05:02 PM

Terrible news and my thoughts go out to his family. Was shocked that it was suicide. RIP

#4 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 19 2012 - 05:41 PM

Truly shocking and depressing news.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 15 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 06:04 PM

This news really sucks. Tony Scott was a great director and really new how to deliver a great action movie. It's hard to believe this was a suicide.

all-banner.jpg

#6 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,647 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 19 2012 - 11:39 PM

Very sad. My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family and friends.

#7 of 15 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 20 2012 - 01:05 AM

Very sad news. I hope his family and friends can find some measure of peace in a tragic death.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 15 DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 01:13 AM

Like many others here I was shocked to hear this news in the morning. Definetely want to hear a follow up as the details and investigation proceed. I'll be spinning Crimson Tide tonight in his memory. RIP Tony Scott.

#9 of 15 SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 01:32 AM

Shocked and saddened to hear of Tony Scott's death. May he rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family an friends. Regards,

#10 of 15 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted August 20 2012 - 06:53 AM

So the early rumors are that he was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Horrific. I will say this, that if the man was dying sooner rather than later, this is certainly more in keeping with his life's work. Totally Creasy Bear. Which reminds me, Man on Fire is my all-time Tony-fave, with Last Boy Scout coming a close second (although how one can possibly leave Crimson Tide out of that equation is something I seriously need to ponder later this week when the Tony Tribute Fest™ officially begins in my household). Rest in peace. Maybe not as cerebral as Ridley, but arguably every bit as entertaining.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#11 of 15 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,569 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 08:19 AM

Awful, sad news. RIP Tony.

#12 of 15 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 20 2012 - 09:06 AM

Man on Fire is a goddamn classic. Absolutely in my pantheon of great films. Sad to hear about the condition that likely predicated this decision.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#13 of 15 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted August 20 2012 - 11:07 AM

Joe Carnahan's really venting over it right now on Twitter. I can't say I liked Domino, but it is one of the most memorable movies of the past decade for the sheer number of scenes that are sharp and unexpected. Mo'Nique's interracial flow-chart on the Jerry Springer show; Keira punching a girl in the nose; any scene with Brian Austin Green. For movie lovers, this is just a big, fat speeding-comet-sized tragedy. Hollywood truly lost a visual pioneer. I can't even imagine what Ridley is going through. There's been a story oft-mentioned by him, about how he was in pre-production on his huge version of Dune, but was scuttled after his older brother Frank died of cancer. He said that he was utterly devastated and destroyed; I can't imagine what this is going to do to him. Couldn't do the bridge-jump myself either, but this was TONY FREAKING SCOTT. Guy died like he lived -- directing. EXT. DAY - BRIDGE

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#14 of 15 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,887 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 20 2012 - 11:14 AM

Cancer sucks. Sucks that he had to go to such lengths to face his mortality on his own terms, wish I could add more than that.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#15 of 15 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 20 2012 - 02:46 PM

His widow denies the cancer story.