Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

1977...not such a Blu year for movies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 09:19 AM

1977 was one of the better years for movies. While in the last year we have seen DAMNATION ALLEY and TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING finally released on Bluray....many have not. In fact out of the Best Picture nomknees in 1977...only STAR WARS and ANNIE HALL have made the jump to Blu A list of other: Foxy Ladies: JULIA despite much acclaim and controversy has not made it. This would look stunning THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT...sadly when we lost Marie France Pisier we lost one of cinemas most beautiful women. This movie cries out for Blurray. A guilty pleasure. SUSPIRIA...Jessica Harper...now Mrs. Twentieth Century Fox...was great in this cult classic. THE TURNING POINT...11 nominations...no wins and an exceptional soap opera that is a must for bluray. Sadly Unanimated: ALLEGRO NON TROPPO..Italy's answer to FANTASIA DIRTY DUCK RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN....Uggggh! FANTASTIC ANIMATION FILM FESTIVAL RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY...a shame this never even made it to. DVD. Disaterous! THE CASSANDRA CROSSING BLACK SUNDAY...an outstanding thriller. ROLLERCOASTER AIRPORT 77 Never even made it to DVD... CITIZENS BAND LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR FRATERNITY ROW NASTY HABITS PROVIDENCE SHOOT A SPECIAL DAY SPECIAL DELIVERY STRANGE SHADOWS IN AN EMPTY ROO. HOUSE BY THE LAKE THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN FIRST LOVE THE FARMER THE WONDERFUL CROOK THIEVES THE CHOIRBOYS THE DAY THAT SHOOK THE WORLD BITTERSWEET LOVE MOONSHINE COUNTY EXPRESS CHECKERED FLAG OR CRASH SPEEDTRAP Oscar Oscar Oscar: EQUUS FELLINIS CASANOVA I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN THE LATE SHOW A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC OH GOD YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE A Sporting chance: ONE ON ONE SLAP SHOT SEMI TOUGH BAD NEWS BEARS IN BREAKJNG TRAINING OH The Horror: AUDREY ROSE THE CAR THE SENTINEL DEMON DEMON SEED EXORCIST ll THE HERETIC ITS ALIVE ORCA Wages of Fear SORCERER MACARTHUR THE EAGLE HAS LANDED CROSS OF IRON Blue Bio: THE GREATEST VALENTINO Song Sung Blu OUTLAW BLUES THATS THE WAY OF THE WORLD WELCOME TO LA THE GRATEFUL DEAD Babbling Brooks: THE LAST REMAKE OF BEAU GESTE THE WORLDS GRESTEST LOVER True Disasters: BOBBY DEERFIELD EMPIRE OF THE ANTS BREAKER BREAKER THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE HEROES THE LINCOL. CONSPIRACY MARCH OR DIE BAD Something funnys going on: FREAKY FRIDAY FROM NOON TILL THREE FUN WITH DICK AND JANE THE GOODBYE GIRL GREASED LIGHTNING JABBERWO KY KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE OUTRAGEOUS À PIECE OF THE ACTION RECORD CITY Midnight Blue: THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT THE ISLAND OF DR MOREAU TENTACLES EMPIRE IF THE ANTS LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE Black and Blu: BROTHERS WHICH WAY IS UP EMMA MAE Blu up: THUNDER AND LIGHTNING TELEFON ROLLING THUNDER GREAT TEXAS DYNAMITE CHASE GRAND THEFT AUTO I would have thought some of these would have hit Bluray for 35th anniversary. Time will tell

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think I read somewhere that SLAP SHOT was on its way to blu-ray either this year or next. Might be wrong about that, though. THE EAGLE HAS LANDED is available on a region-free blu-ray in the UK.

Many of the movies you list first opened in 1976 (SHOOT, TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, SPECIAL DELIVERY) but received staggered release patterns that meant they were opening in some areas of the country in 1977. FROM NOON TIL THREE was unambiguously a 1976 release. IT'S ALIVE was first released in 1974 but didn't become a big hit until it was reissued with a new ad campaign in 1977.

Your list brings back a lot of fond movie memories. I can't decide whether 1976 or 1977 is my favorite year ever for movies.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 19 2012 - 11:10 AM

I would definitely like to see Black Sunday on blu, if just to see the Dallas Cowboys get blown up at the Superbowl!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for pointing those movies out. NY got many regional releases much later than the rrst of the countrt. Skimming through 1976...that is another exceptional year...with even less Bluray releases than 1977. 1975 was my favorite year in an extraordinary decade. JAWS, NASHVILLE, SHAMPOO, DAY OF THE LOCUST, THE FORTUNE,POSSE, SMILE, HEARTS OF THE WEST, BARRY LYNDON, ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE, ONE FLRE OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST, TOMMY, ROLLERBALL, THE PASSENGER, MACON COUNTY LINE, JUSTLE, I

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 12:09 PM

I hadn't realized how thin-on-the-ground blu-ray releases for 1977 films were. These were all I could think of that have been released in the US:

ANNIE HALL

STAR WARS

DAMNATION ALLEY

SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT

THE DEEP            

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

FINAL CHAPTER – WALKING TALL

HIGH ANXIETY

THE GAUNTLET

A BRIDGE TOO FAR

THREE WOMEN

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

WIZARDS

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

PETE'S DRAGON

HOUSE

TWILIGHT’S LAST GLEAMING (forthcoming)

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (forthcoming)

THE DUELLISTS (forthcoming)

THE RESCUERS (forthcoming)

Did I leave anything out? Is that all there is?

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 12:46 PM

WIZARDS

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 12:56 PM

A few others from 1977 Saturday Night Fever New York, New York The Duellists (forthcoming) House The Rescuers (forthcoming) - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 01:02 PM

I had no idea NEW YORK, NEW YORK was on blu-ray. The others slipped my mind. Will amend.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 01:04 PM

THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL PETES DRAGON

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,619 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 19 2012 - 02:22 PM

Was The Turning Poirt ever released on DVD? Maybe in Region 2. I certainly don't remember a Region 1 release.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think the region-free Blu of THE EAGLE HAS LANDED is still available via Amazon UK.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Was The Turning Poirt ever released on DVD? Maybe in Region 2. I certainly don't remember a Region 1 release.

Anchor Bay released it on R1 DVD about ten years ago. It was one of a number of titles they licensed from Fox. It's now out of print and going for crazy money on Amazon Marketplace.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,619 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 20 2012 - 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffrey:K 

Anchor Bay released it on R1 DVD about ten years ago. It was one of a number of titles they licensed from Fox. It's now out of print and going for crazy money on Amazon Marketplace.

Wow! I had no idea. I must have been asleep during its release. Thanks for the info.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 04:17 AM

Others from 1977: THE HILLS HAVE EYES FOR THE LOVE OF BENJI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users