Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How many lines am I really watching??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted August 16 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hi there, I have a simple question...I got a 16:9 LCD TV, when I watch a movie on blu ray the display tells me Im watching 1080p, with a movie displaying a 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio I see obviously) the black bars above and below the picture, this bars use screen space, so how many lines am I getting on my display really?
Eduardo Bonifaz

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,323 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 16 2012 - 07:22 PM

1080p

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted August 16 2012 - 09:08 PM

Greetings The signal is 1080p ... whether it is all white or all black. Still 1080p. But on a 235:1 film ... the movie part takes up about 810 lines of the 1080 and the black bars take up the rest. The visible detail in the film is about 1.55 million pixels per frame. Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,057 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 17 2012 - 06:27 AM

Just remember that your alternative is to cut the sides off, AKA Pan and Scan. Trust us, black bars are the way to go =) Also: Resolution is just a number. Does it look good? Just go with it.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts

Posted August 17 2012 - 03:05 PM

Just remember that your alternative is to cut the sides off, AKA Pan and Scan. Trust us, black bars are the way to go =) Also: Resolution is just a number. Does it look good? Just go with it.
I'm still shocked at the number of people who don't realize the sides get cut off. Friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. they all just want to fill that screen. Black bars are evil. I've even held little training seminars to demo what actually happens, still no affect. Their screen choices just drive me insane. I'll go to my mom's place and she'll have something on and never even question "why are those people so short and fat, or on another channel why are they so tall and skinny"? After a while it's like talking to a brick wall, you just give up.
Stan

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,057 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 17 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm still shocked so many people confuse affect and effect =p

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts

Posted August 17 2012 - 06:46 PM

Sorry Sam, got it wrong. Surprisingly I actually thought about which word to use, just one of those brain cramps and I chose the wrong one. I try not to make mistakes like that, but you caught me. They're, their, and there along with many others I never have a problem with. Affect and Effect somehow seem to get stuck in limbo land and I sometimes choose incorrectly. I made a sarcastic comment to you recently, let's just call it even and stay on topic.
Stan

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts

Posted August 17 2012 - 11:30 PM

May actually do this correctly in the future. Found the following info: In general, affect is a verb and effect is a noun. When X "affects" Y, it is said that X produces an "effect" on Y. In passive form, Y is "affected" by X. Thanks for the somewhat snarky comment. Won't have to worry about being busted by the Grammar Police for a while.
Stan

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,323 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 18 2012 - 09:00 AM

Don't worry. The worst case of grammar I ever found was a guy trying to buy Excel spark plug wires. The guy behind the counter gave him Accel. The guy thought cars excelerated...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users