Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MVD Press Release: Bob Dylan & The Band "Down In The Flood"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted August 16 2012 - 04:44 AM

Bob Dylan & The Band "Down In The Flood" 

Comes to DVD on September 25

The Story Of Bob Dylan & The Band 

Features exclusive new interviews with Garth Hudson, Ronnie Hawkins, 
band producer John Simon & tour drummer Mickey Jones

Posted Image

Posted Image

In 1966 Bob Dylan began his first electric world tour. It was a landmark moment, both for Dylan and for the history of rock music, and it bitterly divided his audience.

Backing Dylan on stage was an obscure group of Canadian musicians collectively known as The Hawks. In the months following the tour they would join Dylan during a lengthy convalescence in New York's Catskill Mountains; when both parties re-emerged, Dylan had undergone an artistic transformation that sent ripples across American music and The Hawks had become simply 'The Band', one of the most important recording groups of their generation.

This is the story of the relationship between Dylan and The Band, the legendary amateur recordings that they made together in Woodstock, their re-invention of American music and their continued albeit sporadic relationship during the 1970s.

Featuring new interviews with Garth Hudson;  Band producer John Simon; The Hawks' 66 tour drummer, Mickey Jones; the man who assembled and tutored the Hawks and from whom they took their name, Ronnie Hawkins; Dylan guitarist, Charlie McCoy; Band biographer Barney Hoskyns; Basement Tapes Archivist, Sid Griffin, Isis magazine's Derek Barker and Rolling Stone's Anthony De Curtis.

Also features rare footage, archive interviews, seldom seen photographs and the music that changed the world, all at once making for the finest program on this element of Bob Dylan and The Band's respective and communal careers yet to emerge.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 16 2012 - 12:16 PM

Dedicated Dylan listener here. I need to catch up with these unofficial and unauthorized documentaries about Dylan. There are so many of them, I guess because many aspects of his career have not been addressed by the Dylan camp in their documentaries. The unofficial and unauthorized documentaries can be more interesting than the official and authorized ones.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted August 16 2012 - 12:27 PM

Sounds good. I wouldI also recommend the Classic Albums video about making The Band's second album (the brown album). Interviews with all of the Band members except Richard Manuel. Obviously made before Rick Danko passed away but a wonderful illuminating program on their music and the group. Netflix has all the Classic Album on streaming. All of them are good that I've seen.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,039 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 17 2012 - 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Zee 

Sounds good. I wouldI also recommend the Classic Albums video about making The Band's second album (the brown album). Interviews with all of the Band members except Richard Manuel. Obviously made before Rick Danko passed away but a wonderful illuminating program on their music and the group. Netflix has all the Classic Album on streaming. All of them are good that I've seen.

I'll vouch for the Classic album series as well. even with artists I don't like tend to be very interesting. The Grateful Dead one is for American Beauty but deals with the albums leading up to it as well. A very good documentary.

I'm leery of any of these unauthorized documentaries though. They don't license any music right? I'd love to see performance footage from this period, as opposed to people talking about it with generic public domain filler music playing over top. It's always grating to me.