What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Will we see a least one of these films on bluray in 2013. AGONY AND ECSTASY-----HELLO DOLLY-----STAR----DOCTOR DOLITTLE. Thanks.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I believe the Twilight Time Entertainment has already acquired the licensing rights for "The Agony & The Ecstasy" for blu-ray release in 2013...it was mentioned as one of their back-burner projects on Screen Archives Entertainment's Facebook page recently.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Hi Trajan,
HELLO DOLLY is scheduled for Spring 2013, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY will likely follow a year later. No news to report on DOCTOR DOLITTLE or STAR at this time.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Finn said:
Hi Trajan,
HELLO DOLLY is scheduled for Spring 2013, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY will likely follow a year later. No news to report on DOCTOR DOLITTLE or STAR at this time.
Mr.Finn,do you have any news to report on following titles:Laura,The Flight of the Phoenix,The King of Comedy,and Fox's noirs?Thx in advance!
Of course,i'lm asking about eventual Blu-ray releases :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Finn said:
Hi Trajan,
Great news about Hello, Dolly!
So does that mean that THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY will also be a Fox release and that it will be scanned at 8k like The Sound of Music and I am sure Patton?

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by John Doe /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963519
Mr.Finn,do you have any news to report on following titles:Laura,The Flight of the Phoenix,The King of Comedy,and Fox's noirs?Thx in advance!
Of course,i'lm asking about eventual Blu-ray releases

LAURA - yes, early next year. No other news yet.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by OliverK /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963523
Great news about Hello, Dolly!
So does that mean that THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY will also be a Fox release and that it will be scanned at 8k like The Sound of Music and I am sure Patton?
THE AGONY will be released by us, yes. It is unlikely that it will be 8k

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If I may, I'll jump in here with a general comment, having nothing to do with Fox or these films.

If a production is in need of a real restoration, and if asset protection elements are to be derived from said restoration, then 8k becomes important.

If, however, the film has proper protection, an 8k scan becomes an unnecessary expense, and the most logical path would be a 4k scan of a new 65mm interpositive. The final yield would be indistinguishable from an 8k scan, by the time it reaches Blu-ray.

Home theater fans are advised not to get caught up in the sizzle of 8k, nor to consider a product negatively, when they hear that something large format may have been scanned at 4k.

That said, these releases should be gorgeous!

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
If I may, I'll jump in here with a general comment, having nothing to do with Fox or these films.
If a production is in need of a real restoration, and if asset protection elements are to be derived from said restoration, then 8k becomes important.
If, however, the film has proper protection, an 8k scan becomes an unnecessary expense, and the most logical path would be a 4k scan of a new 65mm interpositive.  The final yield would be indistinguishable from an 8k scan, by the time it reaches Blu-ray.
Home theater fans are advised not to get caught up in the sizzle of 8k, nor to consider a product negatively, when they hear that something large format may have been scanned at 4k.
RAH
I did not want to give the impression that I consider 8k acquisition necessary for a superior Blu-Ray it was more of a general assumption that as a rule Fox might go for 8k scans (with a 4k workflow) whenever they tackle another one of their Todd-AO movies.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Finn said:
THE AGONY will be released by us, yes. It is unlikely that it will be 8k
Thanks for the confirmation, I am looking forward to all three titles you mentioned (DOLLY, AGONY, LAURA).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963534

If, however, the film has proper protection, an 8k scan becomes an unnecessary expense, and the most logical path would be a 4k scan of a new 65mm interpositive. The final yield would be indistinguishable from an 8k scan, by the time it reaches Blu-ray.

RAH

Thank you for those comments as I was afraid some people besides Oliver were thinking that if a BRD didn't have an 8K scan, it's not good enough quality for them.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Finn /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963529

I can't wait as I think it's one of the best films ever made.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963606

Thank you for those comments as I was afraid some people besides Oliver were thinking that if a BRD didn't have an 8K scan, it's not good enough quality for them.

Crawdaddy
These are decisions taken and made very carefully by the studio asset protection execs. Everything is well measured for cause and effect.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Thank you for those comments as I was afraid some people besides Oliver were thinking that if a BRD didn't have an 8K scan, it's not good enough quality for them.
Crawdaddy
I would like to point out that I never wrote anthing to the effect that 8k is needed for good enough quality (if that was my opinion I would only own three Blu-Rays) and in fact I think it is unnecessary to start work in 8k when the end result is "only" a Blu-Ray as excellent results can be achieved coming from 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by OliverK /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963722
I would like to point out that I never wrote anthing to the effect that 8k is needed for good enough quality (if that was my opinion I would only own three Blu-Rays) and in fact I think it is unnecessary to start work in 8k when the end result is "only" a Blu-Ray as excellent results can be achieved coming from 4k.
Oliver,

I said besides you because I didn't want you to think I was talking about you with my comment.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Oliver,
I said besides you because I didn't want you to think I was talking about you with my comment.
Robert,
I did indeed gather that you meant the opposite, sorry about that.
One of the times I guess where it is better to have English as ones first langauge.
I think the whole 8k for Blu-ray craze started with Baraka that was heavily advertised as being derived from the first ever 8k scan.
Oliver

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Finn said:
Fantastic news Mr.Finn!Laura is such a great movie.A true classic.Hopefully Fox will get around to release other aformentioned titles as well.I'm eager to see a Blu-ray of under-appreciated The King of Comedy.(so many talents involved!).30th Anniversary edition would be teriffic.And I've heard that Thelma Schoonmaker confirmes she's working on a Blu-ray release of it,few months ago (don't quote me on this).
However,thx again for sharing great news about Laura with us!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Finn /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn#post_3963514

Thanks for the wonderful news and I haven't seen you around the forum lately so a sincere welcome back. Looking forward to other bits of information you can let loose and also thanks for those 40's and 30's titles being released on your MOD program.

I will get Laura for sure, but I am requesting/hoping that if you release Laura and other Noir titles to please, please include the inserts/booklets with linear notes because it is always interesting to read about the behind the scenes information about the movie. I noticed the majority of Blu Ray releases do not contain an insert or a booklet. At the very worst the linear notes could maybe be put on the disc itself ?
Anyway if we are going to upgrade, I want to go all the way with it and that means including those inserts.
Request for a title : Id like to see Hand of Death w/ John Agar released in some format alone or with an appropriate co-feature
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks