What's new

Heaven's Gate WILL be coming from Criterion this year (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Just recently announced by Criterion.
This will be the full, 216 minute Director's Cut.
Personally, this is an ambitious and bold move by Criterion, and quite fitting that they would choose this long rumored title for their treatment.
I have never seen the full film in any form before, so this is something I am looking forward to.
I hope it finds a new audience in today's world of film and cinema enthusiasts. The film sunk Cimino's career which looked bright after Deer Hunter, and bankrupted the studio. Personal films of this size and scale would never be the same.
It's important that there are those who will take such a move to preserve and honor film in any form, whether it was a performer or not.
Here's to hoping its everything we've been waiting almost 40 years for.
http://www.criterion.com/films/28036-heaven-s-gate

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Not sure if this might be the release of the year, but if nothing else, it finally shows that it is getting the treatment it deserves on home video. While I wish that the terrific Final Cut documentary was here, this was obviously Cimino's supervised version, and he probably wanted it nowhere near his definitive edition. At the same time, I really wish that Cimino would do a commentary for those of us like myself who love the film so much. Still, I look forward to the interviews that will grace this disc. Also, the film's runtime is listed as 216 minutes. That's 3 minutes shorter than the premiere cut, which means Cimino has probably made a couple of more changes to it, but I look forward to seeing them when this release hits the streets.
And I love the fact that Criterion chose the teaser poster artwork for the cover. It looks so classy!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I haven't seen the movie. But, I don't get the 'preserve and honor movies no matter how bad they are' mentality. Life is too short for that.
I get that you're interested in seeing the film. That's cool But I don't get how it is "an ambitious and bold move by Criterion." Why? It's been long expected. They're not a charity. Apparently they think they can make some money off of it. After all, it's hard to believe that this title has tremendous downside potential. And if they didn't provide Cimono's rather bloated version - film fans would not be too happy, methinks. So, what's the bold move?
Bolder still would be if they released Good Burger. It would, at least, show Criterion had a sense of humor. Heck, anybody that has a decent number of Criterion titles would buy it even if they never watched it.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Could this thread maybe be merged with the other Criterion HEAVEN'S GATE thread found here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/318845/is-criterion-working-on-a-blu-ray-of-heavens-gate
Vincent

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
rich_d said:
I don't get the 'preserve and honor movies no matter how bad they are' mentality.
Who does? I don't think Criterion would be releasing it if they didn't like it. I question their taste on occasion, but I don't have any reason to doubt its sincerity.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Doctorossi said:
Who does? I don't think Criterion would be releasing it if they didn't like it. I question their taste on occasion, but I don't have any reason to doubt its sincerity.
JoshB said:
It's important that there are those who will take such a move to preserve and honor film in any form, whether it was a performer or not.
Apparently the O.P. does.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
rich_d said:
Apparently the O.P. does.
:confused:
What part of the OP's post makes you think that he doesn't like the movie or that he believes that Criterion doesn't like it?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
You asked me "who does" to my statement that "I don't get the 'preserve and honor movies no matter how bad they are' mentality."
The O.P. made a general statement and I made a response to that statement. It's got nothing to do with this specific film, a film neither the O.P. or I have seen in its entirety.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
rich_d said:
The O.P. made a general statement and I made a response to that statement.
I just don't see anything in the OP's statement that relates directly to your response. Your response posits that someone is thinking 'this movie is bad, but let's see it treated well, anyway'. Who?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Well bad by 1980 standards doesnt mean bad today. Of course, if the film doesnt change in its content from 30 years ago then the best hope it has is to find a new audience in the best format possible.
I'm not sure if this is Cimino's original 219 minute version or something that he has gone back to recently to fix. Has anyone confirmed this, either on here or even from the Venice Film Festival?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
JoshB said:
Well bad by 1980 standards doesnt mean bad today. Of course, if the film doesnt change in its content from 30 years ago then the best hope it has is to find a new audience in the best format possible.
I'm not sure if this is Cimino's original 219 minute version or something that he has gone back to recently to fix. Has anyone confirmed this, either on here or even from the Venice Film Festival?
This film was seen by very few people over time. It deserves to be seen by a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks