Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TCFHE Announcement: i, Robot (3D Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 09:08 AM

BLU-RAY / DVD RELEASE DATE:

October 23, 2012

RELEASE DATE:

MPAA RATING:

PG-13

for intense stylized action, and some brief partial nudity

FORMATS:

Blu-ray 3D Combo

AUDIO:

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 DTS, Spanish 5.1 DTS

LANGUAGE:

English, Spanish, French

ASPECT RATIO:

Widescreen: 1.78:1, Widescreen: 2.35:1

ARP (AVERAGE RETAIL PRICE):

BD 3D Combo: $35.99

SYNOPSIS       SPECIAL FEATURES

I, Robot 3D

In the year 2035, technology and robots are a trusted part of everyday life. But that trust is broken when a scientist is found dead and a skeptical detective (Smith) believes that a robot is responsible. Bridget Moynahan co-stars in this high-tech action thriller that questions whether technology will ultimately lead to mankind's salvation . . . or annihilation.
Episodes-Bonus Features: English
Disc 1: Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D
Disc 2: DVD

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 05:54 PM

I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I sure hope this isn't the shape of things to come from Fox. EDIT: I guess it is. They did the same to Avatar. :confused:

#3 of 20 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 10:06 PM

Mike,

Let us know the quality of the 3D presentation.

I abhor Will Smith movies but I am a sucker for

anything that looks above average in 3D.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 20 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:09 AM

I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

What would be the advantage of doing this? The 2D version is just one of the two "eye" images from the 3D version, isn't it? So there isn't really anything "extra" on the disc to eat up disc space or anything. I remember when Blu-ray 3D was initially in the works, that it was advertised as being backwards-compatible with 2D players and displays, such that any Blu-ray 3D could be watched in 2D. I've never understood why so many 3D releases include a 2D version on a separate disc. Isn't that wasteful? Why is it so often done that way? What am I missing?

#5 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 16 2012 - 07:22 AM

What would be the advantage of doing this? The 2D version is just one of the two "eye" images from the 3D version, isn't it? So there isn't really anything "extra" on the disc to eat up disc space or anything. I remember when Blu-ray 3D was initially in the works, that it was advertised as being backwards-compatible with 2D players and displays, such that any Blu-ray 3D could be watched in 2D. I've never understood why so many 3D releases include a 2D version on a separate disc. Isn't that wasteful? Why is it so often done that way? What am I missing?

I'm just guessing, but maybe some 2D only players might have trouble extracting extracting the 2D version? Maybe this is the future of 3D. The UK Creature disc in the Monster set is just a single disk also.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 20 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 07:55 AM

This is hardly the start of a trend.  Just off the top of my head from my meager 3D collection, Drive Angry (Sony?) and Underworld: Awakening (Universal?) both do this.

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#7 of 20 BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 11:02 AM

I recall that Disney stated that the reason for providing a separate 2D disc would be in cases where the single eye view is noticeably different from the 2D version of the movie.

#8 of 20 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 11:10 AM

I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I sure hope this isn't the shape of things to come from Fox. EDIT: I guess it is. They did the same to Avatar. :confused:

But what I don't get is the two different aspect ratios in the press release. Is the BD 2D version 1.77:1 just as the 3D version is, or are there two separate encodes on the same disc? I'm hoping the 2.35:1 refers to the DVD version.

#9 of 20 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 16 2012 - 04:34 PM

I recall that Disney stated that the reason for providing a separate 2D disc would be in cases where the single eye view is noticeably different from the 2D version of the movie.

Why would that be? Isn't the 2D version one of the two films that make up the 3D version?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 20 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 05:01 PM

The two different aspect ratios must be a typo. Both the 3D and 2D Blu-ray versions are 1.78, as is the previous Blu-ray Extended Edition. On the Extended Edition, the bitrate for the opening few minutes often bounces around in the high 30s, even going as high as 41.4 and rarely dipping below 24. That same area on the 3D and 2D versions on the same disc usually peaks in the low 20s and even dips as low as 10 at times. While I have to say, the 3D presentation is quite stunning, it does make me wonder what could have been if they had used the entire alloted space for the 3D presentation only instead of trying to put two three-hour movies on the same side of a BD50. Perhaps there is something about the process I don't know, and the 2D version is simply one eye of the 3D presentation, so not extra space is used. If true, though, why the much lower bitrate for a movie that is 16 minutes shorter than the Extended Version? Does anyone know more about the actual process? Ronald, regarding "I, Robot," I haven't had a chance to look at more than the first ten minutes or so, but it looks like precisely what it is: a 3D Conversion. It's not bad by any means, but it's not on the level of "Titanic." At times it has that cardboard cut out quality, and other times it just doesn't look 3D at all. There are lots of scenes with a lot of fast motion, and since 3D has always had a hard time with that, those scenes hurt my eyes.

#11 of 20 BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 09:14 PM

Why would that be? Isn't the 2D version one of the two films that make up the 3D version?

You would think it would be, although I assumed the difference must be some sort of shift in perspective. Now I think about it, it is possibly for those 3D films where the black bars at the side seem to shift constantly throughout the movie - like Disney's Christmas Carol.

#12 of 20 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 09:30 PM

Quote:
Ronald, regarding "I, Robot," I haven't had a chance to look at more than the first ten minutes or so, but it looks like precisely what it is: a 3D Conversion. It's not bad by any means, but it's not on the level of "Titanic." At times it has that cardboard cut out quality, and other times it just doesn't look 3D at all. There are lots of scenes with a lot of fast motion, and since 3D has always had a hard time with that, those scenes hurt my eyes.

Thanks, Mike. 

Looks like I will be passing on this.

Ronald J Epstein

#13 of 20 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 04:15 AM

Both the 3D and 2D Blu-ray versions are 1.78, as is the previous Blu-ray Extended Edition. On the Extended Edition, the bitrate for the opening few minutes often bounces around in the high 30s, even going as high as 41.4 and rarely dipping below 24.

I am unaware of an "Extended Edition" BD of this film. Please elaborate. Is this an import disc, and if so, is it region-free? All I have (and have seen) is the 2008 U.S. release. Thank you.

#14 of 20 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 08:24 AM

Craig, you have to read the entire thread for context. The Extended Edition is referring to "Avatar."

#15 of 20 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 08:59 AM

Craig, you have to read the entire thread for context. The Extended Edition is referring to "Avatar."

Ah. Thanks.

#16 of 20 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:17 PM

Anyone check this out yet? I grabbed it on a whim on Tuesday -- at times the conversion effects were decent, but too often it had that look of "we're not even trying in this scene" that the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 conversion had. All in all, it was fun to see the movie again but the 3D effects did not impress (and the bar was set pretty low in my head, I wasn't expecting "Titanic" quality conversion here).

#17 of 20 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,548 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:58 PM

I am slated to review it when I get back home from LA.

#18 of 20 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 807 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's weird that a 3D conversion like this has better 3D than a film like "The Amazing Spiderman" which was actually filmed that way.

#19 of 20 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:27 AM

It's weird that a 3D conversion like this has better 3D than a film like "The Amazing Spiderman" which was actually filmed that way.

Not according to the reviews I have read at bluray.com and here. I was going to pick it up but will now wait for a sale.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#20 of 20 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJQ1972 

Here is a hypothetical example.  Lets say that a studio takes a 3D effect like a laser bolt jumping out of a 2.35:1 film and places it in the "letterbox area" on a 16x9 set.  If you were watching the 2D (one eye) version, you would still see that laser bolt on the black bar which would look odd.  Correctly authored 3D Blu-rays should play fine in 2D.  I bet the reason most 3D Blu-ray releases have an extra disc is to make it a 2/3/4 disc set to help justify the price premium.  In other words its about marketing, not compatibility.

HTF Rules | Visit us on: Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
My Theater Construction Thread | My Theater Construction Gallery | Anyone up for a Seattle area HTF meet?

Back to 3D Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow