Photo
- - - - -

HDMI connections-multiples into one input?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 04:44 AM

I recently purchased a Sony 7.2 receiver with 4 HDMI inputs (Blu-Ray, Games, DVR and another video input). The problem is, my fiancee's kids have a PS3, a Wii and an X-Box and there is a constant battle over the "Games" input on the receiver-mainly, they have to keep unplugging one system to use another (yes, I have tried to tell them that they really don't need to do that, that one connection will work just unplug from the system, etc.) . The problem is, inevitably, someone unplugs the wrong item or jostles them enough that when I want to watch a Blu-Ray, I discover that someone has either unplugged it accidentally or loosened up the cable enough that I need to crawl around and reconnect it. Has anyone seen a device that I could plug more than one HDMI-ready device into then just plug that into the receiver-without blowing something out or up? This is driving me crazy and I don't want to have to buy another receiver just for the games...:confused:
Oh, is there a more inspiring sight in all this world. . .than the sight of a grown man. . .facing singlehandedly. . .a half-a-ton of angry pot roast?-
"In Old Mexico," by Tom Lehrer

#2 of 4 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 04:53 AM

Assuming that the game systems all use HDMI, you could use an inexpensive HDMI switch to multiplex all of the game consoles to a single HDMI input on the receiver. Check monoprice.com for HDMI switches. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 11,948 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 14 2012 - 06:08 AM

Or you could have bought a receiver with HDMI upconversion. But otherwise, HDMI switches can be had for as little as $20...Heck here is one for $6... http://www.amazon.co...rds=hdmi switch

#4 of 4 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 22 2012 - 07:50 AM

As a person who uses an HDMI switch to switch between my BD player, satellite receiver and XBox, I recommend this as the way to go. This is based on the assumption that the Wii console already has an HDMI adapter; if not, you may want to look into one of these to simplify the hookup. the less hands you have mucking around with your receiver, the happier you'll be.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users